• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windmill Farm. (1 Viewer)

It is not our policy to suppress news of rarities at Windmill Farm (although Jasonbirder's general attitude would certainly provide me personally with a strong incentive). Neither is it our policy to automatically phone Birdline or any other rare bird news outlet, although we may well do so if circumstances are appropriate.
Andrew, hope you enjoy your visits and hope to see you there.
Andy

How many CBPS members got a chance to see the birds at a reserve they help fund? I`m not a local - (though unfortunately for you I`m likely to be one day, as my wife has her heart set on a move to Cornwall once our kids have "flown the nest"....) But if it was a rare bird on a Notts Reserve - which i`ve supported through my annual subscription which I missed out on - i`d be absolutely livid!

The CWBPS doesn`t contain a regularly updated recent reports section - the reserves info seems to be updated on a season by season basis, if that- hardly useful for planning your weekend! In fact the sites current homepage apologises for the lack of recent updates!

undefinedundefined
Jasonbirder said:
The CWBPS doesn`t contain a regularly updated recent reports section - the reserves info seems to be updated on a season by season basis, if that- hardly useful for planning your weekend! In fact the sites current homepage apologises for the lack of recent updates!

undefined
Jasonbirder said:
Hi Jason-you are quite right-the CBWPS website has been defunct-that is why Aquila is consuming his leasure time to bring it back to life-for the benefit of people like you . Just a word about Windmill Farm Jason-it is being developed for the benefit of birds and other wildlife ( it's partly owned by the Cornwall Wildlife Trust ) by a dedicated hardworking team of volunteers-including myself& Aquila-both Wardens of this Reserve which we are very proud of . For your interest the Serins didn't just turn up-they were attracted by a seed rich crop which was introduced by Aquila & me . We also had 750 chaffinches visit these fields- they were just as welcome as the Serins & just as important . Windmill Farm is a nature Reserve-not a Zoo .
I hope you can make it some day & see what we are achieving down here .

Jasonbirder said:
Hi Jason-you are quite right-the CBWPS web site had become defunct-which is why Aquila is spending some of his leasure time bringing it back to life-for the benefit of people like you . Just a word or two on Windmill Farm Jason-The Reserve is managed by a small group of people including voluntary wardens who give their time freely-like me & Aquila . We are very proud of our achievements at Windmill Farm because we are attracting a range of wildlife ( the Reserve is jointly owned by the Cornwall Wildlife Trust-so our wildlife interests are broader than just birds)-including birds -by introducing new habitats . Amongst these-introduced by Aquila & me are the seed rich arable crops which attracted the Serins-they didn't just turn up for no reason . 750 Chaffinches are also spending a happy winter feeding with us-& they are just as welcome Jason-so are you .

Jasonbirder said:
Well when you move down here Jason, perhaps you'll volunteer to take over as Webmaster. And even help with the daily running of Windmill Farm. But, be warned, there's an awful lot of (unpaid) hard work involved, and attracting rare birds is not one of the priorities. There are far more important objectives. It might actually help you to get things in perspective!
Andy

We've just had a fantastic couple of days birding at our local patch, the still developing Windmill Farm Nature Reserve (I hardly visit the Lizard hot-spots these days - rarity fatigue?). We had nothing rare, but we did find the reserve's first Whooper Swans, Firecrest and Ring Ouzel. The anticipation that something really good might be lurking amongst the plovers, thrushes or finches massing in the next hedge or field was enough to keep the adrenaline running. Who needs lost Masked Shrikes and comatose Ovenbirds? (and anyway I've seen healthy ones, where they belong |:$| ).
Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back