• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White wagtail or British Pied Wagtail in Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Mcnswiss2

The Pied has been seen in the area
looks darker to me than normal white ones
any thoughts?
cheers

Attachments

• 48CE7CBB-EFB5-47DB-ADC8-7B6A179129E9.jpeg
    48CE7CBB-EFB5-47DB-ADC8-7B6A179129E9.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 88F80DA2-1CAD-40A0-8F7F-DC55E7298E25.jpeg
    88F80DA2-1CAD-40A0-8F7F-DC55E7298E25.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 49
The Pied has been seen in the area
looks darker to me than normal white ones
any thoughts?
cheers

Hi Mcnswiss,

Over the last couple of days I've been trying to differentiate a 1st summer female pied wagtail from white wagtails without much luck. I read a few articles including one which was about 5 pages dedicated to wagtails ID. One of the things they said was that white wagtails never have black on the mantle whereas adult pied wagtails do. 'Looks like black on the mantle in your picture to me, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Hi Mcnswiss,

Over the last couple of days I've been trying to differentiate a 1st summer female pied wagtail from white wagtails without much luck. I read a few articles including one which was about 5 pages dedicated to wagtails ID. One of the things they said was that white wagtails never have black on the mantle whereas adult pied wagtails do. 'Looks like black on the mantle in your picture to me, or are my eyes deceiving me?

My friend has a paper by Lee Evans on this..when I get a copy I will post..looked like pied to me

I think is impossible to say whether this is a Pied Wagtail or not based on these pictures alone. Even though the flanks seem a bit dusky, that is not a really conclusive fieldmark (about 20% of White Wagtails have dusky flanks according to the paper I have linked to below), and the quality of the photographs and lighting certainly don't help. With birds like this you would need to have a really good look at the area between the tertials on the back to back up your claim.

To understand the difficulties, you should probably read this:

The authors suggest that many intermediate birds are likely hybrids or aberrant White Wagtails (in mainland Europe).

Lützen

Hello,
the article by Evans and Cade is here: http://files.biolovision.net/www.fa...THE-SEPARATION-OF-WHITE-AND-PIED-WAGTAILS.pdf

I agree with Lützen, that these pictures are propably not enough to claim a Pied in Switzerland. Please note, that at least a part of the back seems pale grey. What is unusual for a White Wagtail is, that the greater coverts are the deepest possible jet black, not just black like in a White Wagtail (you would choose your bird for a Washing Powder commercial, wouldnt you?).

I posted this before? Otus Bayern e.V.

(I hope a link with a German comment isnt regarded as an offense, it just says that darker birds are regularly seen in Bavaria, but are probably no Pied WT, but just darker albas.)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back