• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wagtail Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

In a group of White Wagtails today I saw this "deviating" one, compared to the rest, which looks like normal ones (The one of the right as an example).. Is there any explanation for this blackish appearance in the normally white area?

Thanks

Attachments

• Wagtail.jpg
    Wagtail.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 81
I'll post a chart I just found on-line showing the wide range of sub-species for White Wagtails. It's a good idea these days to keep track of the sub-species with all the recent DNA based splits being accepted these days.

Attachments

• White Wagtail sub-species.JPG
    White Wagtail sub-species.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 34
Thanks Joe.. I am aware of that, but doesn't seem to fit any of the specific types.. Was more wondering the posibility for the Pied Wagtail, which is very rare around here and usually only in the spring, when they migrate.. It has the blackish root of the tail from what I can see.. But I'm totally inexperience in making an ID for that subspecies..

Thanks Joe.. I am aware of that, but doesn't seem to fit any of the specific types.. Was more wondering the posibility for the Pied Wagtail, which is very rare around here and usually only in the spring, when they migrate.. It has the blackish root of the tail from what I can see.. But I'm totally inexperience in making an ID for that subspecies..
I also noticed the black rump alongside mid grey areas on the flank and breast sides. I don't think yarrellii has
occurred further East than France though.....so just an oddly marked White Wagtail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back