• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whistle stop visit to Trier (1 Viewer)

Bananafishbones

Incoherently Rambling .....
United Kingdom
On Monday and Tuesday I will be travelling to Trier from Dusseldorf, dont expect more than passing \ fleeting visit to anything that looks like It might throw up a bird or two.... anyone got any advise on the area?

Black redstart would be more than acceptable for my life list.

Cheers
Dave

The present weather is not good for Black Redstart — I assume many will have moved away or perished. Short-toed Treecreeper is ever a favourite for visiting birders from the UK: this should not be too much of a problem if you can find a park (the Palace Garden of the Kurfürstenpalast looks like a good bet, although the woods east of town (e.g. around hotel Petrisberg) must be better).
Very few sightings of interest there recently: the most interesting place might be the Staustufe (weir) in the Mosel river... if you want to have a go at Caspian Gull. It's located in the southern part of town in an area called Feyen (google maps coordinates 49.727989,6.624602 – note that I don't know where you'd best watch from).

The present weather is not good for Black Redstart — I assume many will have moved away or perished. Short-toed Treecreeper is ever a favourite for visiting birders from the UK: this should not be too much of a problem if you can find a park (the Palace Garden of the Kurfürstenpalast looks like a good bet, although the woods east of town (e.g. around hotel Petrisberg) must be better).
Very few sightings of interest there recently: the most interesting place might be the Staustufe (weir) in the Mosel river... if you want to have a go at Caspian Gull. It's located in the southern part of town in an area called Feyen (google maps coordinates 49.727989,6.624602 – note that I don't know where you'd best watch from).

many thanks for taking time to reply. TBH the birding time became limited during the trip (almost non existant :C), but did get a few goodies. First off was a harrier sp seen whilst on the nr top floor of the car rental multi storey at Dusseldorf airport - white rump was clearly visible against the dark bird Hen Harrier fitted nice then. Couldnt see any of the local terrain so was a little suprised, maybe the habitat beyond the runways is suitable.

Red Kite seen perched along on of the many roads we drove along, to and From Dusseldorf \ Trier along with countless dozens of Buzzards.

While I picked up a life bird in Dusseldorf with 60-80 Ring-necked Parakeets

Unfortunatly didnt manage to get to any woods or parks due to time and rather deep snow and no suitable footwear with me.

regards
Dave

have google earthed the area around Dusseldorf airport and indeed there is a wetland habitat that could suit Harrier sp.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back