• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binocular(s) did you use today? (4 Viewers)

Hello,

Sunday, I had a midday appointment many kms from home, so once again I chose an old glass to carry on public transport: a Leitz Binuxit 8x30.
Binuxit 8x30.jpg
I used to like this binocular, which has a graticule or reticle, unusual in a centre focus binocular. Unfortunately, I have become spoiled by the improvements made in the seventy two years since it was made. It does not even perform as well as the B&L 8x30 in brightness and contrast.

Today, I had the same problem and took a Leica 8x20 BC. Its major virtue is size and weight. I doubt that any 8x20 would be a pleasure after using the Zeiss SF 8x32. Small exit pupil, making it relatively dim and poor field of view are its shortcomings.
Leica 8x20.jpg
Tomorrow, I should return to an up to date binocular.
Edit: I still managed to see fifteen species, today.
Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Using my newest addition to the crowd -- another old 8x30 wide angle "Luna Super" (often sold as "Eschenbach", sometimes without any branding). One of my absolute favourite porro designs for the insanely wide FoV and great center sharpness.
This specimen looks so squeaky clean on the inside and outside that I think it barely saw any use.
img41lc6e.jpg

img58af2j.jpg

img6q3e7b.jpg

Took the dog for a walk at the local state park this morning, and brought along the 8x42 Noctivid.
what a beautiful spot! River looks very clean. The dog's like "what are you doing on shore, get in here, the water's great!" Took my 2 dogs for a swim in a local river yesterday as well. Had my 7x35 Nikon E's with me, I managed to throw a few balls while alternating bird watching - there were some cedar waxwings in the trees on the river and a few others, bobolinks, several different sparrows, etc.

what a beautiful spot! River looks very clean. The dog's like "what are you doing on shore, get in here, the water's great!" Took my 2 dogs for a swim in a local river yesterday as well. Had my 7x35 Nikon E's with me, I managed to throw a few balls while alternating bird watching - there were some cedar waxwings in the trees on the river and a few others, bobolinks, several different sparrows, etc.
I have always enjoyed watching Cedar Waxwings hawking insects.

They are very attractive birds.

Spent a few hours in the marsh, carried the 10x42 NL's

Highlights were some Virginia Rail chicks and at least 5 Saltmarsh Sparrows; one of which was carrying food to a nest. Amazing to see such a rare bird so close to a major city.
Thinking of getting a pair of 10x32's to cut down on weight

Attachments

• P6120021a.jpg
    P6120021a.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 20
I have always enjoyed watching Cedar Waxwings hawking insects.

They are very attractive birds.
They are definitely one my favorite birds. So beautiful and unique. Once you learn the distinctive high-pitched trilling sound they're easy to ID by ear.

My old townhouse apartment had a large Shadbush right next to the porch and that's how I came to know the Cedar Waxwings. I'd see and hear them every day when the berries were in. I've got my own shadbush now, but it seems to get picked clean by the local catbirds, it's rare to see the waxwings on it.

PS...here you go Phillipp

7X35II.JPG

They are definitely one my favorite birds. So beautiful and unique. Once you learn the distinctive high-pitched trilling sound they're easy to ID by ear.

My old townhouse apartment had a large Shadbush right next to the porch and that's how I came to know the Cedar Waxwings. I'd see and hear them every day when the berries were in. I've got my own shadbush now, but it seems to get picked clean by the local catbirds, it's rare to see the waxwings on it.

PS...here you go Phillipp

View attachment 1515282
A thing of beauty!

Hi Andy,

Both are from Palawan - the top photo is the view from the Liang viewpoint, between Puerto Princesa and Sabang. The second one is sunrise over the beach at Sabang looking towards PP Underground River (St Pauls) National Park. I'm currently writing the trip report, it is appearing in a somewhat piecemeal fashion in the trip reports sub-forum.

Highly recommended (the place, not necessarily my trip report)!

I think the humidity affected the glue holding the objective covers and they started slipping a bit - seem better now I am back in the UK. The rest is just field use!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back