• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 10x42s wanted. But which ones? (2 Viewers)

Have to admit, I do think it looks nice and would happily wear one!

It's hard not to worry about what other people think, when there's a group of older blokes all bragging about their binos and scopes and looking at me in disgust. I just got out of the hut and left. But I'm hoping they were/are the minority of birders.

Thank you so much! It's definitely reassuring. I'm considering the Leica trinovid hd 10x42s? Because they're considered good? (and they're the lightest out of all the higher end binos at around 730).

Though that chaps swaros were very nice lol.
It is churlish to “brag” about one’s equipment, and a gentleman would never do so.

We are gentlemen …….. are we not?

My hands are/were steady enough when I tried the Zeiss terra; but jees they felt heavy and hurt my arms after about an hour.
Not sure a harness would entirely address the issue you seem to be describing : tired arms from lifting binocular to eyes and holding it there? Anyways some discussion here on supports and illustrations provided by John A Roberts which may provide useful food for thought :

Wonder if you went to that open day at Barton Upon Humber. If so maybe have had a chance to try the Viking Osprey. Other optics days which might feature that model and the top RSPB models and others :

And link gave in response to your Reddit post :

The Opticron Verano BGA VHD 10x42 is very lightweight option (but note Steve C's review on this site pointing out the very recessed oculars which might be an issue for use with spectacles).

As mentioned by others the Nikon HG 10x42 and Zeiss SFL 10x40 are under 700g but will involve another budget hike (particularly for the latter). The Swarovski Habicht GA 10x40 is probably a bit heavier than the Zeiss Terra ED you tried, but probably will have very different handling which may be a help or a hindrance (a consideration sudsdetailing mentions in post #29).

Ok serious question... Does anyone wear one of these? Don't get me wrong, I actually think it looks nice!! But I'm asking as I've never seen anyone wearing one and would be a bit self conscious... After yesterday's outing I've noticed there is a fair bit of snobbery with some birders I've met, I felt like I didn't belong or was looked down on because I didn't have the right gear, and I'm not very knowledgeable (because I'm new!!!) it's genuinely upset me a bit tbh and put me off going to reserves.

Conversely though, I did meet a lovely guy on a river walk a week back who let me try his swaros and gave me lots of brilliant advice (thank you if you're reading this!).
I have been out birding and told another guy (with a big white canon lens) I had seen a nice Robin.
To which he replied "Pifft ! is that all" . So yes you do get the all gear and no idea people.

Not just other birders.
Had one guy with little knowledge of binoculars who came to me after walking out one shop due to the
sales person losing patience with him.
No such repeat experience with me and he walked away a happy customer

I have binos from Swarovski, Nikon, and Vortex in 10x and they are roughly equal in clarity and ease of use. The Nikon Monarch 7 are excellent as are the mid range Vortex like their Viper HD and Razor models. I would stay away from the Vortex Diamondback binos which are OK but noticeably less clarity than the Viper and Razor models. Binos introduced in the past 10 years will have much better lens coatings and be much better than older models that may have sold for thousands more.

BH Photo lists 165 10x42 binos so you can read the reviews of customers and get specifications such as weight.

Hello,
Nikon HG 10x42 in the 1000e class (850 lire) is the best option in my opinion for you. It ticks all your requirements (money, weight and 10x42). It has large FOV and beautiful colours, with clarity over the entire FOV. And, in my opinion, the most beautiful compact roof binoculars. Nikon HG already slightly exceeds your desired budget, but not by much. Of course, If you are willing to pay double or triple, you have several better 10x42 variants, Zeiss Victory SF, Leica Noctivid, Leica Ultravid, Swaro Nl Pure, Nikon EDG, Zeiss SFL... with a slightly heavier weight (but with bino harness are great). But let's not get into unnecessary discussions, and focus on your requirment: under 1000 euros or a little over, relatively reduced weight and 10x42.
If you are willing to pay a little more (aprox. 1150 euros), here are some of the best options in this price range:
Swaro Habicht 10x40 is extremely good, maybe the best in the 1150ron sector. Its main quality is the transmission of light (even better than binoculars 3 times more expensive!!!) But be careful! It has a small eye relief of only 13mm, making it more uncomfortable and unusable for those who wear glasses.
Zeiss Conquest 10x42 is a bit heavier but it is optically excellent, especially for the image resolution
Leica Trinovid 10x42
, has a smaller FOV but has an image that you may like a lot, thanks to the pleasant and calming colors. My opinion is that these are the variants that are close to your initial requirements.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm new to the sub (but been reading for quite some time though).

I'm wanting to buy some 10x42 binos but don't know which. I'm currently using an old pair of viking azura things... They are terrible not great (no offense to anyone!). They're around 650 grams in weight. Are there any 10x42s that are good quality and lighter or around this weight? I have a max budget of £800.
The only ones I've managed to try in person are the Zeiss terra ed, but at 725g they're too heavy for me (I'm quite a petite woman).

I was looking at the Nikon M7 or HG, but many of you on here don't seem to rate them, so that's kind of put me off them.
I'm in the UK. Does anyone know any good shops to actually try them too? Bonus points if it's in Yorkshire!!

Thanks ; )
If you get the chance look thru some kowas (BD) 10 x 42 you should find them well within your budget and they seem light and bright not popular with some as they are made in China (to kowa standards) I was surprised by the view through the 6.5 x32 though I am now parting with em as since getting some zeiss sf 8x42 they never get out.I would expect the 10 x kowa to be at least as good .I dont know how far you are from Northwhich but I hear they have a good selection at focalpoint .

Yes at 840g. That's when the bino harness are useful for this model. But for me, I preferred neck strap and sling it across my chest with the adjustable strap when I started to feel tired on my neck.
Is there a strap long enough for me to do this? Can you recommend one? I tried with the strap that came with my binos but they are way too short, even when extended.

Thank you to everyone for all of your help! I found a shop (or three actually!) And have managed to try quite a few.... I liked the Leica trinovid hd (these may be my next purchase!) and the Swarovski NLs, but... I fell in love with the habicht. I've ordered those 😍
Well I never! Thought you would love them, they are so special. Here is to many years of wow! factor viewing!

If you are still thinking of a harness, the Rick Young one, as sold by Viking Optical (and others but they are brilliant), is perfect and has a built in nobber detector!

Enjoy.

It's hard not to worry about what other people think, when there's a group of older blokes all bragging about their binos and scopes and looking at me in disgust. I just got out of the hut and left. But I'm hoping they were/are the minority of birders.
Just ignore 'em. Birding is about the birds you're trying to see, not other people who may or may not be doing the same thing (and comparing optical gear is certainly not the same as birding).

Thank you to everyone for all of your help! I found a shop (or three actually!) And have managed to try quite a few.... I liked the Leica trinovid hd (these may be my next purchase!) and the Swarovski NLs, but... I fell in love with the habicht. I've ordered those 😍
Curious, as I don't have the Habitch and I often hear them praised: What did you like about them in particular?
The 3D view?

Luca

Ah, sounds as if you've encountered the Lilliputians, they're not birders, just little people posing with big gear to compensate for the fact that their mothers didn't hold them long enough as infants. No matter, they'll grow out of it in an incarnation or 3, pay them no mind!

I'm a very recent fan of the Hawke Frontier ED X. The 8X42 or 10X42 are 725gr, a tad over your specified weight but A LOT of bang per pound and well within the budget. Frontier ED X 10x42 Binocular - Green

In the end what did you choose?

I own the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 for birding and I like it. These are within your budget, although I know there are more high end binos available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back