• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binocular(s) did you use today? (3 Viewers)

Nikon E2 8x30 on its travels again. This time on the southern tip of the Greek island of Corfu and specifically the ruins of the 17th century monastery of the blessed virgin mary.

Good birding round here too, as a fan of hirundines I've been particularly enjoying the red rumped swallows, quite near the northern tip of there range here.

IMG_20230901_084332983_HDR.jpg

Canon 8x32WP. IMHO still a pretty good instrument. Made in Japan, built like a tank, field flatteners, some of the most comfy eye cups and optically almost on par with my Fuji HC. Also some of the lowest CA in any bino I used so far.
Only downside is the 5 m close focus due to the porro-like external focusing and a slightly narrow view.
IMG_20230901_103615.jpgIMG_20230901_103507.jpgIMG_20230901_103443.jpg

Philipp, don't forget to clean that left ocular.
I noticed they were both dirty so I cleaned them. When I got the bino, it reeked of cigarettes and had a nasty film on all the lenses. I wiped it down with some Vinylex and let it sit for a while so now it doesn't smell anymore - only very faintly when I hold it directly in front of my nose.

Nikon E2 8x30 on its travels again. This time on the southern tip of the Greek island of Corfu and specifically the ruins of the 17th century monastery of the blessed virgin mary.

Good birding round here too, as a fan of hirundines I've been particularly enjoying the red rumped swallows, quite near the northern tip of there range here.

View attachment 1529465
Your pictures never fail to please (y)

Out and about with my trust FL's last week, enjoying a bit of sun in western Pembrokeshire.
Sadly not too much activity on the migrant front (I was a week or so too early), but some enjoyable moments watching huge rafts of Manx Shearwater waiting to return to their burrows at dusk each evening, and a few sessions of rock pooling - using close focusing bins really helps reduce disturbance and allows for natural behaviour to be observed at close range, bit like a real-time Attenborough documentary!

I've managed to secure the ocular armour in place using cable ties, will have to wait until the new year to send them in for a service now autumn has begun!
20230901_101611.jpg

Will probably be using one of these two for a little stargazing later on.
The Fuji is better but the Nikon is much smaller and not as heavy.
View attachment 1530175View attachment 1530176View attachment 1530177

Binoclollector,

Great pics as always. Yesterday I took several bins to the beach including my 10x50 version of your Fuji. It struck me for the first time how surprisingly stable the image was for me, it seemed like using a 7x or even an IS model ! Of course this will vary depending on individual anatomy and abilities. The view through your 7x50 version must be ROCK STEADY. Love those dinner plate sized oculars as well. Immaculate performance in challenging light conditions.

Mike

My local peregrines have been up on the cranes working a nearby construction site. When they're there, waiting for them to launch themselves from their perches is interesting, and viewing them through a favourite pair of classic porros (Zeiss West 8x30) a pleasure. I just wish my vantage point was as good as theirs.

PXL_20230910_172642878_01.jpg

Binoclollector,

Great pics as always. Yesterday I took several bins to the beach including my 10x50 version of your Fuji. It struck me for the first time how surprisingly stable the image was for me, it seemed like using a 7x or even an IS model !
Thanks! Yes, I think it must be mainly the weight and balance that makes them so stable.
I have a few small reverse porros with low magnification and a 7x20 reverse porro will show as much shaking as a heavier 10x50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back