• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to Birdwatch in Florida (1 Viewer)

Gallus

Hi
I am planning a trip to Florida at the end of November-start of December 2004
Where are the hotspots I have been looking on the internet at citrus county birding trails does anyone have any information on this area I would like to get some photos of Bald Eagle and Osprey is this the right time of year. Any tips on accommodation or recomendations. Thanks
Gallus

Hi Gallus,Florida's a big place and so it is difficult to generalise.I've recently returned from an extended stay and can surely give you some info,but firstly,how long will you stay and to where do you intend to fly in?
As Charles pointed out,there is a lot of gen to be found by searching this Forum and please revert with some more specific questions.

November is a great time to visit Florida. The weather is a little cooler and all the winter migrants are there.

One of the first places I would check out would be this site for some Birding trails:Florida Birding Trail

Then if you are in Citrus County as your first note suggests, two great places just a ways south of there are Ding Darling reserve on Sanibel Island and then the Everglades.

Ospreys are pretty common and should be easy to find and photograph. Bald Eagles, while making a good comeback are still not that common and even more difficult to photograph. You need to get some specific recommendations for finding them.

Good luck,

I am not too familiar with citrus county, but if you decide to head south into Lee, Palm Beach, Miami Dade, Broward, or Monroe, I can tell you about all the hot spots. I should know, I live here!

Hi All
Thanks for your replys, I intend at least a two week stay in Florida possibly three. Janine any information on your area would be great.I intend to fly to Orlando and start from there. I also would like to photogragh Wood Ducks Does anyone know where there are any sitting ducks! Can you get a permit that covers the entrance fee to the various birding trail sites.Are there any hotspots for Owls and Woodpeckers Thanks
Gallus

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back