• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where did my Robin go? (2 Viewers)

Mock-turtle

Hi all!

I'm no bird expert! In fact, I know pretty much nothing on the subject, so I just joined this site to ask you more knowledgable people my question.

I feed the birds in my garden, just scraps etc. Well, I guess I unwittingly started to tame a little robin because this little bird began to make itself known to me. I started to specifically look out for him. I would throw him bits of food and he started to come very close to me. When I drove into the driveway he would land on my car and he sat on my windowsill when I done the dishes. I could actually whistle and this little robin would soon show up. Finally, I got him eating out of my hand. What a thrill!

Suddenly, this little robin stopped showing up as frequently. He doesn't show when I whistle. Then, on Monday, I was surprised to look out the window and see two robins, side by side. I know they're territorial, and since I noticed these two, I think it is the untamed robin that frequents my garden, flying away when I approach and paying no heed to me.

So, my question is, where has my robin gone? Has this smaller one claimed my garden as it's own territory? Has the very bad rain kept him away? Is he gone for good?

I sunk a lot of time and effort into taking my robin, and had grown very fond of him. I would be very interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Birdforum!

There's lots of things that could have happened - worst case first, it's died, be it old age (they don't live overly long, often just a year or two, five or six at the very most), disease, predators, or whatever; otherwise, it could have been pushed out by the new arrival, or it could just have been a migrating individual that used your garden as a stopover for a while and has now moved on.

No doubt the new one will soon get to recognise you as Chief Food Supplier and repeat the hand feeding . . . mealworms are the fastest way to a Robin's heart :t:

Hi all!

I'm no bird expert! In fact, I know pretty much nothing on the subject, so I just joined this site to ask you more knowledgable people my question.

I feed the birds in my garden, just scraps etc. Well, I guess I unwittingly started to tame a little robin because this little bird began to make itself known to me. I started to specifically look out for him. I would throw him bits of food and he started to come very close to me. When I drove into the driveway he would land on my car and he sat on my windowsill when I done the dishes. I could actually whistle and this little robin would soon show up. Finally, I got him eating out of my hand. What a thrill!

Suddenly, this little robin stopped showing up as frequently. He doesn't show when I whistle. Then, on Monday, I was surprised to look out the window and see two robins, side by side. I know they're territorial, and since I noticed these two, I think it is the untamed robin that frequents my garden, flying away when I approach and paying no heed to me.

So, my question is, where has my robin gone? Has this smaller one claimed my garden as it's own territory? Has the very bad rain kept him away? Is he gone for good?

I sunk a lot of time and effort into taking my robin, and had grown very fond of him. I would be very interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Hi, it's amazing how you were successful at hand feeding the bird. I am no expert in this subject, but I had a similar experience. A juvenile robin use to eat from my hand but I once saw it got attacked by an adult Robin to scare it off. The juvenile one showed up for next couple of days but it totally stopped eating from my hand and in a day stopped showing up. It's heart breaking feeling. I am confused if the juvenile robin found another source of food or the adult robin just claimed this as it's territory and my robin stopped coming as it was too scared. I believe it's the territory thing. Im sure you miss the bird. I hope it shows up, but they are wild birds and they will be fine without us.

Hi Frozen bubble and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. You are talking about a completely different Robin European Robin - BirdForum Opus. Your one is not related to the one found here, which is much smaller and, once it's found a territory is resident. Your American Robin American Robin - BirdForum Opus is in the thrush family and is migratory. So it's possible it's already started it's migration journey.

You can read more about both species in our Opus articles which I linked to above.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Frozen bubble and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. You are talking about a completely different Robin European Robin - BirdForum Opus. Your one is not related to the one found here, which is much smaller and, once it's found a territory is resident. Your American Robin American Robin - BirdForum Opus is in the thrush family and is migratory. So it's possible it's already started it's migration journey.

You can read more about both species in our Opus articles which I linked to above.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you for the warm welcome! It's delightful to be here and read about birds. Thanks for the helpful tip. I will surely check out the linked article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back