• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Bird magazine do you get? (1 Viewer)

I am also miffed at the thinness of Birdwatch considering the price we pay for it. Like a sucker I keep buying it!

I find that both magazines report the same stuff every month too.

I dare not miss one magazine as the competitions are worth it even though they don't come about very often

"Birdwatching" is by far the best all round magazine in my view. Excellent articles etc, without getting 'too heavy'.

IanDJB.

I subscribe to Birdwatch, which I enjoy. I used to get Birdwatching fairly regularly but after a while I felt it was duplicating things that were in my bird books. I used to get British Birds but then changed to Birding World. (I couldn't afford both.) But now I've stopped Birding World because most of it is about birds I doubt if I'll ever see!
The US publication, Birder's World, mentioned above is a quality publication, too!

I find 'Birds' has interesting stuff although possibly a bit too much of it is designed for members who know very little about birds. I really like BTO News--even though it's less catchy than the magazines.

I think that the problem with all the magazines is that they become rather formulaic after a while. You just know that if a new magazine launched next week it would have all the 'latest sightings', 'book and product reviews', trip reports, etc. After about a year it would start organising holidays; and a year or two later it would run its own bookshop. Then it would start devoting pages to cetaceans and/or insects. All I'm saying is that it's quite hard to maintain originality of content that gives a magazine its own distinctive identity.

How about a magazine, total written by amature birders! that would keep its shelf life a bit more, we all have different writing styles and experiences of birds, so you could get a far wider feel for all things ornithological.

hi
i get birdwaching, the one and only good birder mag.
bert.
there can be no rainbow without a cloud and a storm.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back