• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Bird magazine do you get? (1 Viewer)

All Australian (of course!): Bird Observer, Wingspan, Emu (Journal of Austral Ornithology), Australian Birdwatcher (journal of field ornithology).

We had a previous thread some time ago discussing the relative merits of Birdwatching magazine versus Birdwatch magazine. I prefer Birdwatching, but get both just in case I miss something!

I subscribe to one bird magazine and that's Birdwatch and to be honest I much prefer it to Birdwatching. I like the quality of its pictures, its foreign trip reports, book reviews and rare bird news.

I also see several other magazines on an irregular basis up here in Iceland and these are

British Birds: a national institution but a tad dry

Birding World: excellent and the only other I'd consider subscribing to

Dutch Birding: pretty similar to BW, excellent stuff

Alula: quarterly Finnish magazine with outstanding pictures and great overall production.

And of course there is Bliki, the annual Icelandic birding journal. This hasn't been published since June 2001 but rumour has it there are three coming out this year! It is based on the format of British Birds and contains scientific articles and the ratified Icelandic Vagrant and Rare Bird Report (I just like to see my name in print, hoho!).

I would subscribe to them all if I were made of money but I'm not.

Hi, Edward,
Hope you don't mind me asking, but in the previous thread on this subject (mentioned by Peter Hayes) I asked if anyone had personal knowledge of 'Dutch Birding', and could either recommend it (or not). Could you give more details of style, contents etc ? (I already subscribe to British Birds and Birding World, so if it's likely to duplicate info in either of these, I'll not be interested.)

TIA

Tony

I have both magazines but of the two I much prefer the Birdwatching magazine. There is so much more packed into it.

Hi Tony

I see Dutch Birding from time to time and I think the format is pretty similar to Birding World and as such it seems to be aimed at those of us who love rarities. There are also overseas trip reports, reviews etc. Most articles are in English with a Dutch summary but some are the other way around and my Dutch isn't brilliant. I would recommend it if you didn't have Birding World. Otherwise check out their website
http://www.dutchbirding.nl/

Edward

Birdwatching magazine for me, for the walks and id section. Don't know how wide you want the conversation to go but others I've bought are BBC Wildlife and National Geographic which, by the way, also has an absolutely brilliant website.

Hi there,
I get Birding World,and would also get British Birds and maybe Alula if I had enough money.I find that Birdwatching is aimed more at the less experienced/non-twitching birder,and as such have never bought it.Birdwatch was a quality mag back when I first bought it(1993 until perhaps 1998 or even 1999),but the change in format has definitely been for the worse.(far less Irish content now)Still occasionally buy it if there are a few good articles.
Harry

Birdwatching, which costs an arm and a leg to subscribe to from here, still I love to find id in my letterbox every month. Also L’Oiseau magazine, published four times a year by the LPO, the French equivalent of the RSPB. Very interesting magazine but with a lot of political issues, as there is a constant war between conservationists and hunters here, often marked by physical aggression and violence on the part of hunters. Some good articles though, British Birds style.

Paul 42: I suspect L'Oiseau is very different to the RSPB magazine. Have you seen it?

Sorry Peter I wasn’t very clear there. I meant that the LPO (Ligue pour le Protection des Oiseaux) is the French equivalent of the RSPB. L’Oiseau magazine is its’ official organ (ooer!). I’ve never seen the RSPB mag but have been told it’s a glorified advertising brochure!

The mags i read are Birdwatch and of course Birdwatching then i subscribe to British Birds something i look forward to every month, there is of course 4 times a year the RSPB mag and then even the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust mag, so there is never anything to read birding wise in this house........anyone bought the BTO's Migration Atlas yet !!!!!!!!

I get both Birdwatch and Birdwatching though I much prefer the latter. I also get Birder's World on subscription from the States which is a superb magazine with well written articles.

I have the Migration Atlas too which is an excellent reference book. My only complaint is the size ! I daren't touch it at the moment becaue of the weight. I wish they'd split it into two if not three volumes as it's a bit bulky to pick up and read.

Birding world and Birdwatch, (british birds is next on my list when I can afford a subscription)I agree with Harry, they tend to cater more for rarity enthusiasts where as birdwatching is amied more towards the less experienced/non-twitching birdwatcher. Although Birdwatch seems to be getting thinner, and in my oppinion not all the contributers are great writers, informative though they are.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back