• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Week's itinerary Morocco (1 Viewer)

thomasbarker81

I am planning a week's birding trip in November this year, I have a plan which I think is doable, anyone who knows Morocco well want to comment?

Saturday 1st: Arrive eve – stay in Marrakesh
Sunday 2nd: Drive to Agadir in morning, visit Tamri and Cape Rhir – night in Agadir
Monday 3rd: Drive to Guelmin and continue towards Tan-Tan, head back to stay in Guelmin for night.
Tuesday 4th: Drive back to Agadir – bird Oued Massa and Oued Sous, night in Agadir
Wednesday 5th : Bird Paradise Valley all day – night in Agadir
Thursday 6th : Spare day for itinerary change...
Friday 7th: Drive back to Marrakesh via Tiz-Tez pass – visit Oujaiden
Saturday 8th: fly home morn

Thanks,

Tom

I don't know Bird Paradise Valley at all but the rest of it is doable but looks rather rushed.

Doing Massa and the Sous plus driving from Goulimime to Agadir is a very full day. You could spend two days just at Massa. Similarly Agadir to Marrakech birding Oukaimaden on the way is pushing it, so why not use Day 6 to split it?

Steve

That's a hell of a lot of driving for a week especially if you are driving during the day. I personally would spend more time in the wetland areas. You could stop @ Tiznit but that would'nt get any desert-type spp. Can't see the attraction for Tan-Tan personally. Tamri can be very hit and miss for stuff that range widely as is Cap Rhir. There is an excellent hotel @ Tamri up on the hill, it presses Olives and sells artisan stuff - much better than stopping in Agadir which bears no resemblance to proper Maroc anyway! Better to get cheap flights and visit several times and take in different areas and habitats on each trip depending on season?

Laurie:t:

That's a hell of a lot of driving for a week especially if you are driving during the day. I personally would spend more time in the wetland areas. You could stop @ Tiznit but that would'nt get any desert-type spp. Can't see the attraction for Tan-Tan personally. Tamri can be very hit and miss for stuff that range widely as is Cap Rhir. There is an excellent hotel @ Tamri up on the hill, it presses Olives and sells artisan stuff - much better than stopping in Agadir which bears no resemblance to proper Maroc anyway! Better to get cheap flights and visit several times and take in different areas and habitats on each trip depending on season?
Couldn't agree more!
Never understood this pattern of driving from place to place in Morocco.It must be exhausting.
We spread our visits over three consecutive Spring holidays based in Taroundant,Essouaria and Ouarzazate respectively.
It gave us time to enjoy the hotels and surrounding areas at ease and do some great birdwatching at leisure.
All of the above destinations cover every different habitat you would need either on the doorstep or on day trips.
I have been lauding Morocco for years and but understood why birdwatchers seldom choose one centre holidays for a week or so.
Spring is wonderful in Morocco:thousands of migrants passing through every day.
Each to their own.However you do it you will see some great birds and magnificent sights and scenery.

Last edited:
It looks perfectly doable to me, especially as you're not going to Erfoud/Ouarzazate.
Compare: http://www.cloudbirders.com/tripreport/repository/STEENIS_Morocco_0405_2011.pdf
This indeed involved a lot of driving, but a lot of our birding was remarkably casual. I think I'd drive to Oukaimeden from Marrakesh, not from Agadir. Maybe the salesmen will still be asleep.
Driving in Morocco is fine, as speeding is a very silly thing to do and there aren't that many cars. Oued Souss is not that large an area, but Massa twice is a good idea. Remember the name of the guide you had the first time and there should be no further hassling!

I found driving especially enjoyable in Morocco, as often you see something and and its easy to just stop and have 30 min of birding. Or you see a nice bit of habitat, like a wadi in the desert, and you stop and look for birds. I really loved it, had many nice birds inbetween the actual birding hotspots.
Of course this doesn't work on a tight schedule where you need to rush from place to place... and the OPs plan sounds a bit like that.

Paradise Valley was nice landscape wise, but for birding not that spectacular.

Thanks for some of these ideas, I'll have to play it by ear a little. I am determined to fit as much as possible in as being a teacher I am usually limited by costs associated with holiday times, this years I am able to get cheap flights.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back