• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weekly sightings (1 Viewer)

Superb few days in Carmarthenshire: Red Kite, Goshawk, Raven, Goosander, Tree Sparrows, Pied Flycatchers, Whinchats, Grasshopper Warbler, Tree Pipits, Wood Warblers, Little Ringed Plover, Dipper with 3 young, Garden Warblers, Little Ringed Plovers - not a bad haul considering the weather.

Superb few days in Carmarthenshire: Red Kite, Goshawk, Raven, Goosander, Tree Sparrows, Pied Flycatchers, Whinchats, Grasshopper Warbler, Tree Pipits, Wood Warblers, Little Ringed Plover, Dipper with 3 young, Garden Warblers, Little Ringed Plovers - not a bad haul considering the weather.

Excellent - sounds like you got the most out of your trip! If you don't mind me asking, were you on holiday? If so, was it specifically for bird watching? Carmarthenshire has a lot to offer bird watchers, there just isn't enough birders in the county, which is a shame.

Nice, thanks for that Rich. There always tends to be 1 Avocet around now and then. It's often seen either at the WWT Penclacwydd or Llansteffan/Ferryside.

Sounds like you've had a few good visits there recently. What is the reserve like in general at the moment? Is there much bird life about?

Hi Justin. Unfortunately I dipped on the Garganey. I was told about it by one of the birders in the British Steel Hide.

The Spoonbill appears to be fairly regular. I've had good and bad days with the Warblers. I keep hearing Cettis but keep failing to see one. Great White Egret has been seen by others recently as well.

I tend to be there most Wednesdays as I have a day off mid week. My 2 year old loves feeding the ducks but the downside is that I don't usually get more than 2 minutes in each hide before he gets bored. So really I'm not doing the place justice at all. Met some very decent birders down there. Had a good view of a Whimbrel on Wednesday thanks to one of them and spent an hour or so with a birder from Southend last Monday looking for the Garganey. There's never an atmosphere in the hides when I walk in with my son either.

You probably already know but one of the birders mentioned November / December was a good time for Water Rails on the other side of the reserve by the reed beds.

Enjoying your write ups on the Ospreys btw. Keep up the good work:t:

Rich

Hi Rich,

What a shame - I know Garganey are seen at the WWT there, but I've never seen one! It's about the only duck I've never seen - need to get it ticked!

Yes, like a lot of the warblers, but especially Cettis, you hear them before seeing them (if you're lucky to see them!)

That's good - I'm writing an article at the moment (not 100% sure where it's getting published) about my experience so far in conservation, mainly at the Dyfi Osprey Project. However, there will be an element to the article about the lack of 'young blood' in the field of conservation. It's good to know that you're taking your son out now (even if he doesn't show interest yet!) and hopefully sparking that interest in nature.

It sounds like there's a few things there at the moment - I'll hopefully get down there soon. There's always room in the hides and there's always something to see. I'm sure there's always a decent birder in the main hides to show you anything special.

Thanks very much - the eggs will hopefully hatch at the end of June/early July - it's just a waiting game at the moment with just eggs there. The reserve will be opened up again on the 15th of June, so that will be good again to go and have a look at what else is on the reserve.

All the best,
Justin

Beautiful male Ruff at Penclacwydd today. Has been there for a couple of weeks apparently. Seen from The British Steel Hide in amongst the Blackwits.

Also had Med Gull.

Rich

That's excellent news Rich, I'm spending the day there tomorrow - looking forward to seeing it. Does it have those fan of feathers around it's neck?

That's excellent news Rich, I'm spending the day there tomorrow - looking forward to seeing it. Does it have those fan of feathers around it's neck?

It does Justin. Cracking looking bird and a lifer for me. It was on the pond behind the hide if that makes sense.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Rich

Ah excellent, looking forward to seeing it now! I've seen a Ruff before in the winter, but not a male in breeding plumage! I know where you mean, thanks for the info.

Planning on spending the day in the Millennium Wetlands, looking for warblers. Thanks again.

Justin

Spoonbill at Penclacwydd today along with Greenshank, Med Gulls and possible Common Gull.

Lesser Yellowlegs has been seen recently by other birders.

Rich

Apologies for the junk photos. Too far away and beyond my skill levels:-C

1. Lesser Yellowlegs
2. Lesser Yellowlegs
3. Med Gull

All seen from British Steel Hide this morning. Again, some very decent birders present:t:

Attachments

• IMG_1451.JPG
    IMG_1451.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    465.5 KB · Views: 101
7 Curlew Sandpiper in front of British Steel Hide this morning along with the long staying Lesser Yellowlegs and a Spoonbill.

Rich

Pair of Glossy Ibis behind British Steel hide and a Little Gull along with the usual Med Gulls from the observatory. Sorry for the rubbish photos. The bloody thing wouldn't stay still:-O

Attachments

• IMG_4824.JPG
    IMG_4824.JPG
    752.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4834.JPG
    IMG_4834.JPG
    546.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4835.JPG
    IMG_4835.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4847.JPG
    IMG_4847.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4859.JPG
    IMG_4859.JPG
    472.4 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back