• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weekly sightings (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the sightings Rich. I saw the Snow Goose as well yesterday at Dryslwyn. There were 4 Whooper Swans still there as well, and 3 male Tree Sparrows in the car park. There was a flock of c.150 Golden Plover in the field right next to Cilsan Bridge - absolutely stunning as they are turning into summer plumage.

Another very cold 10 days or so, with winter birds still hanging on and spring migrants only just trickling into the county.

Chiffchaff have been around since the 18th, with single birds at Pwll, Llangadog Common, and a number of other sites since. There were 3 together at the WWT National Centre for Wales.

Little Ringed Plovers arrived in the county on the 18th also with a single bird seen at Cilsan Bridge. It is believed there are 2/3 LRP's on the River Towy, however they have not been seen since the 20th.

Wheatears have also arrived in the country, with single birds at Pembrey on the 19th, Kidwelly Quay on the 27th and Burry Port on the 28th and 29th. 2 Wheatears were together in Bancyfelin on the 30th, with another 2 birds, a male and a female, together on Mynydd Du, north of Brynamman on the 31st, with the male being chased by a female Merlin. 25 Golden Plover and 4 Red Grouse were also seen on the mountain areas with heather and cover.

Sand Martins have also been seen in the county, with 2 birds seen at Sandy Water Park on the 25th, 3 birds in Carmarthen on the 27th, and another 2 together over Llangadog Common on the 28th.

Other birds include:

- 2 Surf Scoter - Telpyn Point (18th)
- Avocet - Llansteffan (19th)
- Spoonbill - WWT National Centre for Wales (20th & 25th)
- 12 Whooper Swan - Dryslwyn (20th)
- c.200 Golden Plover - Cilsan Bridge (up until 30th at least)
- 2 Blackcap - single birds at seperate locations (26th)
- Kingfisher - Cilsan Bridge (27th)
- 9 Fieldfare - Cilsan Bridge (27th & 30th)

Last edited:
Perhaps one of you guys could tell me if the Gwenffrwd Dinas reserve (near Llyn Brianne) is officially in Carmarthenshire (the Vice County).

Okay, sorted it's in Carmarthenshire (Vice County) but only just! Spent a few hours there on Friday, among species seen were:-

Yellowhammer
Marsh Tit
Willow Tit
Goldcrest
Tree Creeper
Female Sparrow Hawk
Peregrine
Red Kite
Grey Wagtail
Dipper
Swallows (moving north-west)

No Redstart or Pied Flycatcher seen, but the former is now in the neighbouring county of Brecknock.

Last edited:
Some highlights in Carmarthenshire since the turn of the month include:

Ring Ouzel - 2nd April, Pal-Y-Cwrt (female)
Firecrest - 3rd April, WWT Llanelli
Sandwich Tern - 6th April, Burry Port Harbour
Hen Harrier - 7th April, Gweunydd Cochion (female), Brynamman (male)
Willow Warbler - 10th April, Pwll Fishing Lakes
Swallow - 11th April, Newcastle Emlyn & Pentrefelin
Common Sandpiper - 12th April, Sandy Water Park
Blackcap - 12th April, Pentrefelin
House Martin - 14th April, Gwernogle & Cefneithin
Pied Flycatcher - 15th April, Dinefwr Park
Redstart - 15th April, Dinefwr Park
Arctic Tern - 18th April, Loughor Bridge
Osprey - 18th April, Pont Abraham (seen again on 19th? - Morfa Bacas)
Whitethroat - 19th April, Llanelli
Reed Warbler - 19th April, Delta Lakes, Llanelli
Sedge Warbler - 20th April, WWT Llanelli

By today (22/4), Sand martins, Swallows, and Wheatears are all common sightings. House Martin numbers are picking up and Little Ringed Plovers have returned to the River Towy. Numbers of different warblers, including Sedge, Reed and Whitethroats are beginning to increase, with singing Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers now commonplace. The RSPB Dinas reserve now has Redstarts, Pied Flycatchers and Wood Warblers back. In general, there are a lot of birds around, with some birds still moving through and some returning to their breeding territories in the county, so get out and enjoy it!

Tree Sparrow at Dryslwyn Bridge today along with a flock of Whooper Swans.

Heaps of Pied Flycatchers and Redstarts at Dinas today. Wood Warblers seen earlier in the morning but not by myself. WHIMBREL seen at Dinas. Aka Bill. Nice to meet you Bill.

Rich

Heaps of Pied Flycatchers and Redstarts at Dinas today. Wood Warblers seen earlier in the morning but not by myself. WHIMBREL seen at Dinas. Aka Bill. Nice to meet you Bill.

Rich

Good to meet you too Rich, glad you got to see the Tree Sparrows.

Had a couple more hours after you left Dinas, and managed some good views of a Cuckoo and the Goosander put in another appearance. Dipper, Grey Wagtail, Peregrine, Blackcap, Great-spotted Woodpecker and some rather confiding Goldcrest and Marsh Tit rounded off a pleasant visit.

Few Swift over Llandovery on the way home...:t: It's pretty hard to convince other birders that you saw a Whimbrel in a classic upland Welsh wood ;) :-O

Rich

How many Tree Sparrows and Whooper Swans Rich? That's surprising to hear that they're still there.

I'm hoping to get up to Dinas soon too to see the Wood Warblers, Pied Fly's and Redstarts.

Hi Justin. Only the one Sparrow and c20ish swans which were quite distant (for my eyesight anywayB :)) I was paying more attention to the Sand Martins to be honest. Dinas was stunning as usual but quite cold. The flycatchers and Redstarts were showing very well.

I didn't spend long at all in the car park so there may well have been more than one Sparrow around. I didn't see any this time but a couple of times I've visited in the past there's been Reed Buntings feeding on the seed as well.

Rich

Last edited:
Hi Justin. Only the one Sparrow and c20ish swans which were quite distant (for my eyesight anywayB :)) I was paying more attention to the Sand Martins to be honest. Dinas was stunning as usual but quite cold. The flycatchers and Redstarts were showing very well.

I didn't spend long at all in the car park so there may well have been more than one Sparrow around. I didn't see any this time but a couple of times I've visited in the past there's been Reed Buntings feeding on the seed as well.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes, the little feeding station in the car park is an excellent spot. I enjoy spending a short amount of time watching the small birds there (using the car as a hide) and there's quite a variety there. It doesn't take long for the birds to appear and there can be up to 6 Tree Sparrows (there may be more but that's the most I've seen at any one time). It's such an important flock of Tree Sparrow around Dryslwyn there.

Surprising for there to be Whooper Swans still here, thought they'd of gone by now despite the cold weather. Yes, the summer migrants (hirundines, Little Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper) are all back on the River Tywi, and can all be seen from Dryslwyn with a lot of patience!

I thought I could see yellow on the bills Justin but given the time of year and distance(still using that one) ....................... Hmmmm

I'm not doubting you, it's just strange how the weather has meant that the Whoopers have hung on for so long! It's the latest they have been to leave for many a year. I find that at Dryslwyn, I always need my scope because the birds are a long way away! Do you look from the bridge or up towards the castle? Or do you go into the fields?

Yup. But back from the colony. I know people fish there but I didn't want to cause any unwanted disturbance. It really is a beautiful spot.

Rich

Yes, that's it. You still have superb views of the birds flying over the river and in and out of the river bank. You're right, on a summers evening, there's not many places better to be.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker today in Dinefwr Park along with Marsh Tits, Blackcaps and Redstarts.

Heap of Whitethroats at Kidwely Quay last Wednesday along with at least one Whimbrel. I could hear a Sedge Warbler but there was no way it was going to give itself up.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back