• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weekend near KL (1 Viewer)

Nohatch

Mad scientist
I need some Malaysia advice please. I'll be in KL for a work visit at the end of July, and will have 2 clear days for birding at the end (Friday evening to Sunday late afternoon). Where would you recommend I go? I'd prefer to cover one or two locations well, rather than whiz around trying to see everything. So maybe a morning at Kuala Selangor, and 1.5 days at Bukit Tinggi? Or spend it all at Fraser...or somewhere closer to KL? Would consider hiring a guide if there are any recommendations. Thanks!

When I saw the title I was going to write about the delights of Barbondale and how near it was to Leighton Moss but then I saw you didn't mean Kirkby Lonsdale!

I hate rushing around, I've spent well over a month cumulatively at Frasers Hill and would still love to go back there for longer - theres so much to see there I think just a weekend would be really frustrating

If it was me, I'd just go to Bukit Tinggi, give yourself 2 mornings with the pheasants and it's really good general birding on the hill, there'll be plenty to keep you happy. It can get really busy at weekends though and the 'town' is very strange, 2 nights is the most I've ever managed there!

I hate rushing around, I've spent well over a month cumulatively at Frasers Hill and would still love to go back there for longer - theres so much to see there I think just a weekend would be really frustrating

If it was me, I'd just go to Bukit Tinggi, give yourself 2 mornings with the pheasants and it's really good general birding on the hill, there'll be plenty to keep you happy. It can get really busy at weekends though and the 'town' is very strange, 2 nights is the most I've ever managed there!

Thanks Dave. I prefer a steady pace myself as well, just enjoy the birds and don't worry too much about the size of list. Having said that, I am thinking of doing Saturday at Krau WR and Sunday at Bukit Tinggi (staying at both locations the night before). You weren't kidding when you said the "resort" is strange!
Could I ask for some local intel please. At Tinggi, I understand you can access the gardens early morning (ask the warden) - where are the to-go spots for e.g. Peacock-Pheasant? And is it worth driving over to Genting in the afternoon? That eBird hotspot at the radar station (Ulu Kali) looks enticing. Cheers!

I'll send you a private message - I've never seen the site published so I don't want to be rhe first to do it!

I've always just walked up the hill in the dark rather than arrange for the barrier to be opened early, I think it's only about 40 minutes if you're in a hurry but there's plenty to see - lots of Sunda Scops Owls, good for Slow Loris & nearly stood on a 3-4m Reticulated Python one time!
Thanks Dave. I prefer a steady pace myself as well, just enjoy the birds and don't worry too much about the size of list. Having said that, I am thinking of doing Saturday at Krau WR and Sunday at Bukit Tinggi (staying at both locations the night before). You weren't kidding when you said the "resort" is strange!
Could I ask for some local intel please. At Tinggi, I understand you can access the gardens early morning (ask the warden) - where are the to-go spots for e.g. Peacock-Pheasant? And is it worth driving over to Genting in the afternoon? That eBird hotspot at the radar station (Ulu Kali) looks enticing. Cheers!

From my report:

Bukit Tinggi

Bukit Tinggi is, ignoring rush hour delays, less than 2 hrs drive from KLIAS airport. We got into contact with Adrian Lim through Whatsapp before visiting the place, as we wanted to be sure about the exact location and found it customary to let Adrian know we were visiting. Adrian was quick and very generous with information, and even though he could not be present, his help and advice was greatly appreciated.

Shortly after the turn off from the main highway, there is a road barrier at 3.372132, 101.854247. We could only pass the barrier late night when we told we had a reservation in Colmar Tropicale hotel. Without reservation, it seems impossible to be allowed to pass the barrier. There is a second barrier just before the Colmar Tropicale at 3.406501, 101.838419. That barrier was also only opened late night by showing our reservation for Colmar Tropicale hotel.

The third barrier is between the Hotel and the Japanese tea garden at 3.408728, 101.839108. This barrier will be opened by someone early in the morning if you let the reception desk of Colmar know you want to go up early (6AM in our case). If there is no one, the barrier can be opened as there should not be be a lock. We parked at the obvious parking lot on the right: 3.417729, 101.843104. We won't give the exact details for the feeding area, as it is requested by the local birders. Adrian Lim is a local birder/photographer and can be contacted in order to pay a visit to the feeder: +60 12-339 9980. He is happy to show you around or give details on how to get there.

Until early light (7.15AM), we birded between the parking lot and the way down (only some 2-300m) and got calling Mountain Scops owl and Blyth's Frogmouth.

Link to report:

From my report:

Bukit Tinggi

Bukit Tinggi is, ignoring rush hour delays, less than 2 hrs drive from KLIAS airport. We got into contact with Adrian Lim through Whatsapp before visiting the place, as we wanted to be sure about the exact location and found it customary to let Adrian know we were visiting. Adrian was quick and very generous with information, and even though he could not be present, his help and advice was greatly appreciated.

Shortly after the turn off from the main highway, there is a road barrier at 3.372132, 101.854247. We could only pass the barrier late night when we told we had a reservation in Colmar Tropicale hotel. Without reservation, it seems impossible to be allowed to pass the barrier. There is a second barrier just before the Colmar Tropicale at 3.406501, 101.838419. That barrier was also only opened late night by showing our reservation for Colmar Tropicale hotel.

The third barrier is between the Hotel and the Japanese tea garden at 3.408728, 101.839108. This barrier will be opened by someone early in the morning if you let the reception desk of Colmar know you want to go up early (6AM in our case). If there is no one, the barrier can be opened as there should not be be a lock. We parked at the obvious parking lot on the right: 3.417729, 101.843104. We won't give the exact details for the feeding area, as it is requested by the local birders. Adrian Lim is a local birder/photographer and can be contacted in order to pay a visit to the feeder: +60 12-339 9980. He is happy to show you around or give details on how to get there.

Until early light (7.15AM), we birded between the parking lot and the way down (only some 2-300m) and got calling Mountain Scops owl and Blyth's Frogmouth.

Link to report:
Thanks Lieven, appreciate it!

The accommodation at Bukit Tinggi is so tacky it's actually quite interesting. It is expensive by Malaysian standards but not by 'western standards'. It included a huge breakfast, which I came back to after the pheasants, which made it better value than it seemed. Food also pricy by Malaysian standards but cheaper than Europe. Do take bottled water in as I really resented paying for the small bottles which was all they had.

From my report:

Bukit Tinggi

Link to report:
Thank you for this advice. Without a hotel reservation do you know when the gates are opened?

It's quite late, something like 9 am. Highly recommended to stay at least one night at the resort for early access (reception are very helpful, they get security to let you in at any time of day). The resort itself is...tacky, weird, terrible food, dated rooms, but cheap(ish) and amazing location.

I agree. I would definitely stay there, but, by Malaysian standards it is really not cheap. The most expensive place I've stayed in Malaysia, but not expensive by European/North American standards.

I need some Malaysia advice please. I'll be in KL for a work visit at the end of July, and will have 2 clear days for birding at the end (Friday evening to Sunday late afternoon). Where would you recommend I go? I'd prefer to cover one or two locations well, rather than whiz around trying to see everything. So maybe a morning at Kuala Selangor, and 1.5 days at Bukit Tinggi? Or spend it all at Fraser...or somewhere closer to KL? Would consider hiring a guide if there are any recommendations. Thanks!
Hi, did you manage to find anywhere nearer to KL? I will be there in mid November and wanted to get a few shots where possible without having to travel too far, not going to make Frasers because with the family :(

Hi, did you manage to find anywhere nearer to KL? I will be there in mid November and wanted to get a few shots where possible without having to travel too far, not going to make Frasers because with the family :(
Hi Steve,
I ended up going to Bukit Tinggi for 2 nights and did not regret it! It's just 1-1.5h drive from central KL - depending on the traffic - and an easy location with plenty of good birds. Checklists from my trip: https://ebird.org/checklist/S115846982 and https://ebird.org/checklist/S115886830.
Mountain Peacock-Pheasant was easy, and just slowly making your way around the gardens and access road there was plenty to keep me entertained.
The only other spot I visited were the Paya Indah wetlands, near the airport. It's a bit of an odd site (rewilding + holiday park + mini-zoo), but it has potential. Checklist for my short visit here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S115898004
There may be other sites in/closer to the city, but it's a big urban sprawl - so if you can I recommend heading out for a day or two.
Best,
Joost

Hi,
Very useful information on this thread. Thank you for that. I looked up the hotel and it is inexpensive and the Grab ride from our KL AirBnB and back is not that expensive either. However, we really need a local guide as my wife and I are terrible in locating birds. Is there a local guide who can guide us?

Thanks & regards,
Saibal.

Hi,
Very useful information on this thread. Thank you for that. I looked up the hotel and it is inexpensive and the Grab ride from our KL AirBnB and back is not that expensive either. However, we really need a local guide as my wife and I are terrible in locating birds. Is there a local guide who can guide us?

Thanks & regards,
Saibal.
Hi Saibal, I will let others give guiding recommendations, but I will say that this is one of the easiest locations I have been to for logistics and finding birds. It's a small site with easy, wide trails and a good car park (or a decent walk from the hotel). Just going around the gardens slowly throughout the day will get you lots of birds (and monkeys). There were a couple of photographers at the pheasant spot on both days. Early morning and late afternoon/evening are obviously best as it's cooler and quieter. Barbets call from high in the trees, most other species were readily seen along the trails or scanning flowering trees where there is an opening and you can see down slope.
Good luck and enjoy!
Joost

Thanks for the advice, Joost. Appreciate that.

I am wondering if I can do travel to Bukit Tinggi one evening, stay the night at the hotel, do an early morning and full day birding there and then take a ride to Fraser's Hill that evening, stay at the hotel there and do a whole day of birding there the following day and take a return ride back to KL. Any thoughts on such a short itinerary?

You can, but I found the road between Bukit Tinggi and Fraser's hill to be slower and more fatigueing than expected.
If you have plans on the second night going back to KL and depending on where you need to end up, driving into KL can be a mess.

You can, but I found the road between Bukit Tinggi and Fraser's hill to be slower and more fatigueing than expected.
If you have plans on the second night going back to KL and depending on where you need to end up, driving into KL can be a mess.
Good points as I noticed that it takes Google map reports the same travel time from Bukit Tinggi as KL. My wife doesn't like windy roads. We are staying close to the Kerinchi LRT and that will cut thru the central KL.

We spent 3 hrs in Bukit Tinggi today and it was amazing. First, walking around in 77F temperature never felt so comfortable (we usually whine when our home city San Francisco touches 70F, which happens just a handful of days in the summer), but spending about ten days in Singapore and KL has already changed our body (and mind's) temperature reference!

We went to see the Batu Caves early morning and were done seeing whatever was there to see in 30 minutes. Looked up the map and saw that we could make a day trip to Bukit Tinggi, but two Grab drivers declined our requests after accepting them initially. Saw a taxi in the taxi stand and the cabbie was willing to take us there and wait for four hours and drop us back at our AirBnB in KL. 300RM seemed a bit high for the entire trip, but our free time during travel is more expensive. And I am glad we made the trip!

12 lifers in 3 hours! And the lunch at the Japanese restaurant was pretty decent as well. Raffles's Malkoha, Black-bellied Malkoha, many Yellow-crowned Barbets, Sooty Barbet, Verditer Flycatcher, Gray-breasted Spiderhunter, Two types of Leafbirds, etc.. Few others, but I wasn't quick enough to get a photo. Surprised to find a Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker (we had seen one in Singapore).

Lot of good things happened besides this today. Found a guide in Sabah and booked our flight and hotel for 2 days of birding there. Now hatching plans to get to Fraser's Hill and maybe a second whole day at Bukit Tinggit.

Thank you all for providing great info on this thread, which triggered this trip today!

Thanks & regards,
Saibal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back