• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Newcastle Sept-Oct....Where Can I Find Some Good Birding? (1 Viewer)

Jesmond Dene is pretty good for stock dove :t: I often see them in the trees on edge of the large field next to Pets Corner.....look for the smaller size, two dark wing bars, dark eye and gorgeous irridescent patch on the neck - they're stunning! :t:

Little Owl....someone else will probably have a more reliable place (Still one at Dinnington anyone?) but I've had a couple in the Alnmouth area earlier on in the summer.
Tawny Owl = Jesmond Dene.

Barn Owl - not sure of spots nearer Newcastle but they're common as anything up here! Anytime at dusk (and often during the day) you'll see them hunting.

Green Woodpecker.....heard them lots of times up here in Alnwick at Hulne Park but they're tricky devils to see! :smoke: Not sure on sites closer to Tyneside.

Sounds good. I'll make sure to stop at Jesmond Dene again this week, perhaps earlier in the morning.

Spent 2 hours watching over several parts of Jesmond Dene (mostly on the bridges to scan the horizon) for Pigeons and Dove. The result, 97% Wood Pigeon and 3% Feral Pigeon......no Stock Dove......and I'm talking out of at least 150 flyby Pigeons......

However, I'm going to walk the entire Red Kite Trail tomorrow, so hopefully a full day of walking will turn something up.

Spent 2 hours watching over several parts of Jesmond Dene (mostly on the bridges to scan the horizon) for Pigeons and Dove. The result, 97% Wood Pigeon and 3% Feral Pigeon......no Stock Dove......and I'm talking out of at least 150 flyby Pigeons......

However, I'm going to walk the entire Red Kite Trail tomorrow, so hopefully a full day of walking will turn something up.

Hi
The hide at Thonley Woods (Derwent Valley/ Red Kite trail area) can be very good for Stock Doves.
Regarding Little Owls, Trow Quarry and Marsden Quarry are two excellent spots. Both Marden and Trow are in South Tyneside and are only a short distance from each other. There are at least a couple of birds in each area and they are used to people, so the chances of an encounter are very good.
I'm sure some of the local birders will be more than happy to offer advice or even give you the guided tour (check out the "in and around South Tyneside” thread)

Good luck

Mick

Andy, Just read Whitley Birders Blog and he saw Stock Dove at feeding station Thornley Wood

Stock Doves around Holywell Pond fields also Barn Owl around Holywell Dean and Beehive fields. I am there everyday so will check fields and report back.

Last edited:
Walked the entire Red Kite Trail yesterday, and SUCCESS. Found 10 Stock Dove, 12 Red Kite and a nice male Yellowhammer. A Whimbrel at St. Marys Island put my total to 121 species.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back