• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Newcastle Sept-Oct....Where Can I Find Some Good Birding? (1 Viewer)

andysross

Hi All,
This seems like a good place to ask this request. I will be visiting Newcastle from September 14 to at least October 6th. While my girlfriend is in class (which is a lot thanks to med school), I was hoping to get some quality British birding in. I've only been to Europe once (Switzerland), so many of the birds are exciting to see, so I don't really have any species specifically I'm searching for. I have read about Jesmond Dene in Newcastle, but is there any other parks or areas that would be of interest right in the city? I have a Britrail Pass for England, Scotland and Wales and I plan on using the buses a lot, so I do want to check out some places farther abroad as well. I may rent a car here and there, but the under 25 fee makes it rather expensive and driving on the other side of the road has me a bit cautious. Saltholme looks like a viable option on a bus route and I was hoping to check out the Holy Island area. From what I understand, however, Holy Island isn't really accessible after August?

Also, I would love to do a pelagic trip one day. Are there any tour operators in the Northeast?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Andy and welcome on behalf of the Staff and Moderators

There's a few places in Newcastle and we have information on them in this Opus article.

The coastline north of Newcastle is wonderful, especially Blyth to Amble an area known as Druridge Bay, which has several reserves.

Holy Island island is accessible all the year, the only restriction is due to high tides when the road gets covered!

We've lots of members living in the area and I'm sure some of them will be along soon with more information for you.

D

Hi Andy and welcome on behalf of the Staff and Moderators

There's a few places in Newcastle and we have information on them in this Opus article.

The coastline north of Newcastle is wonderful, especially Blyth to Amble an area known as Druridge Bay, which has several reserves.

Holy Island island is accessible all the year, the only restriction is due to high tides when the road gets covered!

We've lots of members living in the area and I'm sure some of them will be along soon with more information for you.

D

Thank you very much. I actually just looked into car rentals and that definitely isn't happening. A 24 hour rental would cost me $150 Canadian dollars, not including gas. Therefore, I have to stick with places accessible by public transportation or foot.

Well, I just figured out I can rail to Druridge's Bay, but it requires me to walk 30 minutes or so from Widdrington. However, the rail schedule gives me a good ten hours to walk the coastline and check out most of the spots.

its more than 30mins walk from widdrington train station to the coast. Theres no direct route. better to get off at morpeth and buy day ticket on bus. 518 service to alnwick will drop u in red row, which is short walk to east chevington reserve. You can then walk south down coast towards cresswell. SOme busses from cresswell head back towards Newcastle. or some birder you meet on route might give u a lift....those lazy tynesiders who travel up in their cars :p

its more than 30mins walk from widdrington train station to the coast. Theres no direct route. better to get off at morpeth and buy day ticket on bus. 518 service to alnwick will drop u in red row, which is short walk to east chevington reserve. You can then walk south down coast towards cresswell. SOme busses from cresswell head back towards Newcastle. or some birder you meet on route might give u a lift....those lazy tynesiders who travel up in their cars :p

A bus from Widdrington Sation rather than Morpeth would be better to Red Row. From Morpeth there is only the 518. From Widdrington Station, the 420 bus from Ashington to Alnwick joins the route at Widdrington as well, so doubling the options.

You've picked a (potentially) good time to be there. Don't know if there's a pelagic in the north east but there are some from Bridlington; http://www.rspb.org.uk/datewithnature/sites/shearwatercruise/index.asp

I'd also look at Saltholme and Yorkshire, York is just down the railway line so have a look on the Cleveland, Durham and Yorkshire forums.

Newcastle has a pretty good Metro system - are you staying near a station?

I'm not too sure where my girlfriend's place is. I know it's about 10-15 minutes North of Newcastle's core. It's student housing, so I would assume there is a station nearby.

There is a pelagic out of South Shields that I've inquired about, hoping there is still a spot on the trip. I'll look into the other options as well.

I thank everyone for all the help. Rare Birder has offered a ride for a day's outing, so that certainly beats me wandering around lost in the middle of the country.

I'll try to bring some North American migrants with me in exchange for some European rarities. |:D|

Don't forget about the Metro! Newcastle is well supported by public transport. There's plenty to see just around the Newcastle area so I wouldn't be too worried about travelling further afield. Have a look in the Your Local Patch forum for the other local threads. I'd be inclined to check out the 'In and around South Tyneside' thread and the 'Durham Birding' thread and the 'Northunmbrian Birding' thread. Posting queries there will likely gain you more useful local information and give you an idea of what birds are about. There's also details of some pelagics being put together from South Shields.

If you're into sea watching then Whitburn in South Tyneside has a hide for that purpose run by Durham Bird Club. St.Mary's Island on North Tyneside is a grea to place to visit as well not just for the birds.

Unless you're bringing along a scope I'm not sure I'd be too bothered about making it down my way to RSPB Saltholme. Most birds are pretty distant and the selection can be pretty hit and miss. Having said that if you make a day of it down this way there's plenty of other localities all close together and Hartlepool Headland can be quite productive.

1 week before I arrive and I'm quite excited. I'd just like to thank everyone for all the great advice and help once again. I'll be in touch with several of you when I arrive. I will definitely post my sightings from the area if I find anything interesting.

Thanks again

Just some of my better observations the past 2 days:

September 15 - Jesmond Dene
Kingfisher
Dipper

September 15 - Whitley Bay
Kittiwake

September 16 - Whitley Bay/ St. Mary's Island
Widgeon
Teal
Golden Plover
Meditterean Gull (parking lot next to golf course with black-headed for comparison)
Red Knot
Gannet
lots of Oystercatcher, lapwing, turnstone, ringed plover, redshank, sanderling, dunlin
Sparrowhawk chasing the above mentioned waders

September 16 - Rising Sun Country Park
Pochard
Little Grebe
lots of Swallow

Nothing earth-shattering, but in all I've seen about 20 life birds without having to travel too far.

Just a quick update:

Many thanks to Alan Tilmouth and John Fleet who went out of their way to drive me around to some of the great spots around the area. Saw the Glossy Ibis in Cresswell with John today, although I'm probably the only person who was more excited to see a Tree Sparrow.........

So far, I have 117 species on the trip, 52 of which are completely new (with several being added if they have split the European versions of birds from the North American versions). Not too shabby for really only 4 days of determined birding.

I'm thinking I can get at least 3 more species in 10 days to go over 120. Anyone know any reliable spots for Stock Dove, Little Owl (or any owl for that matter) or Green Woodpecker?

Glad you're enjoying the trip. Stock Dove is pretty common, but easily overlooked as you've probably already learnt to look straight past the ubiquitous woodpigeon. You're going to have to start checking the woodpigeons and looking for the smaller ones with no white in the wings. Farmland with mature trees is the best habitat to find them, but I've even had them in my Leeds city garden. I don't know if they venture into Newcastle, though.

Graham

Glad you're enjoying the trip. Stock Dove is pretty common, but easily overlooked as you've probably already learnt to look straight past the ubiquitous woodpigeon. You're going to have to start checking the woodpigeons and looking for the smaller ones with no white in the wings. Farmland with mature trees is the best habitat to find them, but I've even had them in my Leeds city garden. I don't know if they venture into Newcastle, though.

Graham

hmmmm, almost quite the contrary so far. I've looked at EVERY dove and pigeon I've seen in the past 2 weeks. We even drove down backroads with the purpose of finding a Stock Dove to no avail. I'll likely be heading south next week, so hopefully I can pick one out among the masses.

Ironically, Cresswell pond is usually a good spot for stock dove. They often come to the north and west sides of the main pond (the large one just to the north of where the ibis was today).

Ironically, Cresswell pond is usually a good spot for stock dove. They often come to the north and west sides of the main pond (the large one just to the north of where the ibis was today).

Spent quite some time looking on the wires and such, still no luck :(

Clearly Stock Dove is going to be the bird that makes me work the hardest.

Jesmond Dene is pretty good for stock dove :t: I often see them in the trees on edge of the large field next to Pets Corner.....look for the smaller size, two dark wing bars, dark eye and gorgeous irridescent patch on the neck - they're stunning! :t:

Little Owl....someone else will probably have a more reliable place (Still one at Dinnington anyone?) but I've had a couple in the Alnmouth area earlier on in the summer.
Tawny Owl = Jesmond Dene.

Barn Owl - not sure of spots nearer Newcastle but they're common as anything up here! Anytime at dusk (and often during the day) you'll see them hunting.

Green Woodpecker.....heard them lots of times up here in Alnwick at Hulne Park but they're tricky devils to see! :smoke: Not sure on sites closer to Tyneside.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back