• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visa photos declined (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

My wife and I sent off for our visas for a visit to India early next year a few days ago. Today we've had an email to say the applications are being returned because the photos we supplied aren't suitable.

A bit of a puzzle this, because the photos we sent are exactly the same ones as were acceptable to the British passport office when we renewed our passports late last year, as could be seen from our passports that were sent with the visa applications. They were from the same photo booth batch.

What can be going wrong?

Is there something we should know about the photo requirements that we've overlooked?

Has anyone had similar knock-backs?

you need to follow the exact size - 51mm x 51mm I think

I had no problem in July - I found some very good advice on Trip Adviser..

cheers, alan

A bit of a puzzle this, because the photos we sent are exactly the same ones as were acceptable to the British passport office

Is there something we should know about the photo requirements that we've overlooked?

British passport office is not a measure for any other authority or embassy though - there may well be different requirements by any particular embassy.

Did you apply online - if so, there are any number of reasons why the photo could have been rejected

Indian requirements for online photo submission:

http://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/

And if physically submitted, more info here:

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/touristvisa_photospecs.html

It's a size difference as Alan states above...they need a bigger picture for reasons best known to themselves - I think the online Visa application site details all the needed measurements...

One random site from you know who search engine

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/touristvisa_photospecs.html

"The photograph should be in color and of the size of 2 inch x 2 inch (50 mm x 50 mm)."

Then all the usual OTT beaurocratic nonsense typical of the nation...

McM

An odd one this. I took and created my own photos for an Indian visa using the on-line guide and Photoshop. To get it to the right size I stretched it which made my face look thin and almost nothing like me.

It was accepted and the bloke I was traveling with had his professionally taken photos rejected.

It looks like it's the size of the photos that's the problem. Missed that.

Easily sorted. Scanner, Photoshop and printer at the ready for when they come back.

Thanks all.

FWIW, I know that other countries (e.g.China) insist that the photos not be older than 6 months, too. If the photo is the same as the passport photo and the passport is older than 6 months, they'll reject the visa application because they'll know the photo is too old.

Best of luck with this lot!
The India visa application is a complete pain.
Vowed never to return to India after our last experience with VFS.
We used Timsons the shoe repairers who do passport photos.
Took the exact measurements in and they were on the ball.

I used a Tesco photo booth for my Visa photo's they have different options, and one is labelled visa applications, have to agree with your views about the VFS. experience, absolute shocker.

I posted mine and my wife's on the Monday and received them back,complete with visa on the Saturday. I also used Tripadvisor and also a couple of other sites giving tips. The photo requirements are definitely a big deal from what I've read.

FWIW, I know that other countries (e.g.China) insist that the photos not be older than 6 months, too. If the photo is the same as the passport photo and the passport is older than 6 months, they'll reject the visa application because they'll know the photo is too old.

Jeff, I use the same photo for the past 4 years, no questions asked. One more reason to love Shanghai. :king:

On a side note : The photo is 7 year old. 3:)

Jeff, I use the same photo for the past 4 years, no questions asked. One more reason to love Shanghai. :king:

On a side note : The photo is 7 year old. 3:)

China at its best. :t:

We had one guy here whose application was rejected by the New York consulate because the photo was 7 months old. Our visa agency will now check if the photo matches the passport and return any visa application that does unless it's a brand new passport. They don't want to put up with the extra paperwork.

Visas arrived today. At over a hundred quid each including postage, they certainly aren't cheap. Three nights with food, transport and guided birding at Backwoods could be had for the price of the visas.

Visas arrived today. At over a hundred quid each including postage, they certainly aren't cheap. Three nights with food, transport and guided birding at Backwoods could be had for the price of the visas.

Looks like they offer two options in the US: a 6 month visa for $85 and a 5 or 10 year visa for $175.

It's all about what the market will bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back