• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Varifocal specs (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
I've just been for an eye test and cut a long story short, I'm considering buying varifocal specs. For years I've been using 2 pairs of glasses, one pair for long distance and the second for reading.

Does anybody here use varifocals or have any experience of them? They sound good, but I'm not sure how good they would be with binoculars.

Thanks for any help

Colin

Yes, I have varifocal glasses.

It did take a bit of practise at the beginning to position the bins in the correct area. But I don't think about it now.

I've just been for an eye test and cut a long story short, I'm considering buying varifocal specs. For years I've been using 2 pairs of glasses, one pair for long distance and the second for reading.

Does anybody here use varifocals or have any experience of them? They sound good, but I'm not sure how good they would be with binoculars.

Thanks for any help

Colin

Hi Colin, I have use varifocals for the past 14 years and you have to get used to positioning your eye in the right place. Depending on the varifocals you have chosen, I have the widest possible lense configuraton, then it shouldn't take too much time to adjust. Just remember what the optician told you " point with your nose to focus " when you are walking about.
Hope this helps.
Les

Me also, I have had varifocals for about 24 years (all the time I have been using specs). To me it feels completely natural to use bins on top of the specs

Recently I have a second pair only for working on computers, these are single focal length.

Niels

I have had varifocals for over twenty years and agree with the above,point your eyes with your nose where you nose goes your eyes follow.Never had a problem and with varifocals you do not use the outside of the vision but always the centre so instead of moving your eyes around the bin concentrate on the centre sweet spot and move your head whilst mantaining your vision on the centre.Once you have mastered this simple task the world is your oyster(catcher) as they say.Enjoy in good health ....Eddy

Hello Colin,

I have been using varifocal specs, known as progressives in the former colonies, for years. I have no problems to report, but I guess that they have to be carefully aligned with some binoculars.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Varifocals didn't work for me at all for birding.

I like to be able to spot birds anywhere in my field of view. I found the small in focus area in the centre of the varifocal lens too confining. I had to be looking straight at the bird before I could even see it. As others have mentioned, when using binoculars you have to have them positioned in just the right spot. Even birds in flight I couldn't spot until I was looking directly at them. Maybe it's more of an issue for me as I like to take a few photos of what I see so you need to spot them early to have time to line up the camera.

I have no problems at all birdwatching or taking photos with single vision lenses.

Colin I've been using multifocal specs since 1989, had several different makes over that time. All have been good to use with bins, so long as the bins have good eye relief. What is absolutely crucial is that the lenses are centred correctly, even as little as a millimetre or two is enough to throw things out. If possible make sure you are measured for them by a registered Dispensing Optician and mention that you use binoculars during the dispensing process, that way they will know to avoid designs with narrow intermediate zones.
As I am primarily a contact lens optician I have only rudimentary knowledge of spectacle trade names, otherwise I would be able to recommend some to you. I don't even know the brand name of the lenses in my own spectacles.

Colin I've been using multifocal specs since 1989, had several different makes over that time. All have been good to use with bins, so long as the bins have good eye relief. What is absolutely crucial is that the lenses are centred correctly, even as little as a millimetre or two is enough to throw things out. If possible make sure you are measured for them by a registered Dispensing Optician and mention that you use binoculars during the dispensing process, that way they will know to avoid designs with narrow intermediate zones.
As I am primarily a contact lens optician I have only rudimentary knowledge of spectacle trade names, otherwise I would be able to recommend some to you. I don't even know the brand name of the lenses in my own spectacles.

I have found over the years that Zeiss, Specsavers Tailor Made and Vision Express lenses all have a wider area lens than a lot of other types. To get this wider area they do cost a little more but well worth it to use binoculars more easily and see a wider sharp vision while driving/pulling out of junctions etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back