• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Dragonflies & Damselflies 2022 (2 Viewers)

It was mentioned at the British Dragonfly Society online spring meeting this morning. It's thought that it could be as early because there is a sewage treatment plant nearby and the clean water coming out of there is a bit warmer and can heat up the pond water just enough to encourage early emergence.

It was mentioned at the British Dragonfly Society online spring meeting this morning. It's thought that it could be as early because there is a sewage treatment plant nearby and the clean water coming out of there is a bit warmer and can heat up the pond water just enough to encourage early emergence.
What is the earliest ever Dragonfly emergence?

Corresponding with David, apparently his very early Banded Demoiselle record above, surprisingly isn't the earliest ever as he tells me there is a record of one from Oxfordshire on 16/3/2000

Blue-tailed Damselfly, Cotgrave (Nottinghamshire), 27.02.2021 is the earliest date that I know of.
Thanks. Not sure what the latest Dragonfly record would be (excluding Vagrant Emperor and/or Winter Damselfly, if that’s ever occured(?)) but I would imagine we’ll into December…

Adrian Parr's report on dragonflies in the Feb 2022 British Wildlife says for 2021 "The latest report of Common Darter was from Suffolk on 16th December, this being only a day or so short of the all-time latest record for Britain". I imagine that would be the all-time latest for any (non-vagrant) species :)

Adrian Parr's report on dragonflies in the Feb 2022 British Wildlife says for 2021 "The latest report of Common Darter was from Suffolk on 16th December, this being only a day or so short of the all-time latest record for Britain". I imagine that would be the all-time latest for any (non-vagrant) species :)
So that makes only 10 weeks without any native Dragons on the wing. 17th Dec-27th Feb.

So that makes only 10 weeks without any native Dragons on the wing. 17th Dec-27th Feb.
Very much weather dependent. For example, the last sighting in 2010 was a Common Darter on 17th November and the first sighting of 2011 was a Large Red Damselfly on 27th March - a gap of 130 days! The shortest winter gap I have managed is 123 days.

I think that this will be an 'early' year with many species seen on the wing by the end of April - certainly down here in the south.

Not on the wing, but presume people have made an effort to see nymphs in eg January?!? (And id-able to species?)
Yes - there are larval sampling records for January and February. Some species overwinter as eggs and hatch the following spring so you can't detect them by larval sampling in January. Some final instar larvae are identifiable to species level but it's not always possible. Some species are very distinctive e.g. Emperor and Golden-ringed and you can identify them when they are early instars.

Up here, Aviemore, the earliest I have ever seen any odonata species is the 29th April, always a Large Red Damselfly. The latest was the 24th October one year and that was a Black Darter, I also saw a Common Hawker one year on the 23rd of October. Unless we have a very early year up here, I've still a month to go.

Up here, Aviemore, the earliest I have ever seen any odonata species is the 29th April, always a Large Red Damselfly. The latest was the 24th October one year and that was a Black Darter, I also saw a Common Hawker one year on the 23rd of October. Unless we have a very early year up here, I've still a month to go.
Even down here on the edge of Southampton I've not seen a flying dragonfly earlier than 13th April!

In iRecord there are pics of a Four-spotted Chaser in Somerset on 12th April. (I just spent 10 days in southern Spain and saw 5 individuals, 2 of which went past so fast I could only guess at an ID, 2 were Large Red Damselflies and the other a Winter Damselfly.)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back