• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Dragonflies and Damselflies 2024 (1 Viewer)

Not UK, but a mature male Red-veined Darter was photographed near Haarlem, Netherlands a couple of days ago. One of the earliest records from north-west Europe.

Had 9 Hairy Dragonfly at the London Wetland Centre yesterday with small numbers of Azure & a couple of Blue-tailed Damselflies.

Have seen a few Large Reds in recent days at various places as well as several Common Blue Damsels today too.

There have been quite a few species on the wing now (all these from iRecord if not otherwise mentioned)

15.02 probable Vagrant Emperor -- St Leonards-on-Sea (East Sussex) (fb Migrant Dragonflies)
20.03 Beautiful Demoiselle -- Christchurch (Dorset)
21.03 Common Blue Damselfly -- Hackney Marshes
24.03 Large Red Damselfly -- Paignton (Devon)
10.04 Hairy Dragonfly -- Sussex (iNaturalist)
11.04 Banded Demoiselle -- Leybourne Lakes(Kent)
12.04 Blue-tailed Damselfly -- Marazion Marsh (Cornwall)
12.04 Variable Damselfly -- Westbere Lakes (Kent)
12.04 Downy Emerald -- Sandpool Reserve (Wilshire)
13.04 Azure Damselfly -- Hertfordshire
14.04 Broad-bodied Chaser -- Dartford (Kent)
24.04 Four-spotted Chaser -- Shropshire
29.04 Red-eyed Damselfly -- Somerset / Hampshire
01.05 White-faced Darter -- West Ross / Denbighshire
04.05 Emperor Dragonfly -- Steart Marshes (Somerset)
05.05 Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly -- Falmouth (Cornwall)
05.05 Common Club-tail -- Sonning (Berkshire)
08.05 Scarce Chaser -- Woodwalton Fen (Huntingdonshire)
09.05 Common Darter -- Red River Valley LNR (Cornwall)
09.05 Keeled Skimmer -- Red River Valley LNR (Cornwall)

I've only managed 11 species but until yesterday hasn't been to look at ponds.

Attachments

• R10Z_018248.jpg
    R10Z_018248.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 0
A couple of freshly-emerged Four-spotted Chasers at Ravensroost yesterday morning. Several pairs of Large Red mating and a few male Common Blue patrolling the edges of the pond without success. Dozens of emerging damsels, most of the ones I got a decent look at were Common Blue but at least one Blue-tailed.

This morning I took my mother to Weston Turville reservoir and there were absolute clouds of Common Blue emerging. Hundreds of them. Walking past a reed bed and having large numbers of newly-hatched insects flying up and away as you pass never loses its magic.

Lots about yesterday early evening. Azure, Blue-tailed and Red-eyed damsels among the Common Blues at Oxford motorway services, then Otmoor had vast numbers of Azure, a decent number of Hairy Dragonfly and an immature Broad-bodied Chaser. Also got a brief view of something darter sized that could have been a female Red-veined but no way to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back