• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turkey 23-27 September (1 Viewer)

Arbu

I'm heading to Istanbul in September for five days (easyjet special, £99 with accommodation), and definitely anticipate spending some time on Buyuk Camlica doing some raptor watching. What are the best times of day, and what weather should I look out for in order to get the best viewing? Also, is it worth taking a ferry out to one of the small islands nearby (I think one is called Buyukada) for some variety?

I'm heading to Istanbul in September for five days (easyjet special, £99 with accommodation), and definitely anticipate spending some time on Buyuk Camlica doing some raptor watching. What are the best times of day, and what weather should I look out for in order to get the best viewing? Also, is it worth taking a ferry out to one of the small islands nearby (I think one is called Buyukada) for some variety?

The large raptors do not usually start moving till between 09:30 and 10:00, but you can do 'little' Çamlica (possible Collared Fly and other passerines) and the rear slope of Big Çamlica till then. The main raptor passage is between 10:00 and 14:00 dropping-off gradually thereafter. Stay until dusk at least once, though, because flocks of Red-footed Falcon often start to arrive quite late (sixish). The best weather is of course calm and hot, but it's worth taking a jumper with you, since if the wind turns easterly or north=easterly (all the way from the Russian Steppes) it can get darned cold up there, even at the end of September. If the thermals aren't there the birds will wait until the heat returns, and the subsequent numbers can be rather good.

The week you have chosen is the peak time for Lesser Spotted Eagle, and I've seen up to 3,500 in a day there. Also look straight up high occasionally. Levant Sparrowhawks go over en masse at great height sometimes (when they can look rather falcon-like).

Dunno about the islands, though of course you'll get Yelkouans on the way.

Some birders are now going to Sariyer on the European shore, where I believe the numbers are even more spectacular as the birds are just leaving the roost, and haven't had a chance to spread out (they cross at points all along the Bosphorus). The advantage of Big Ç is however that you have a lot of time to see things as they come toward you (and you can get a tulip-glass or two of tea and a shishkebab - and ayran if you can stomach it).

You have a very good chance of Imperial Eagle and Saker that week too, and a very outside chance of Steppe or Spotted Eagle. The odd flock of Cranes goes by and even the occasional Pelican.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Thanks v. much RecoveringScot, that's just the sort of information I was looking for. I hadn't heard of "little" Camlica before. Is it the well wooded hill about half a mile to the south of the main site?

Also, is it easy enough to see Yelkouan by taking a ferry across the Bosporus? It might save me a trip to the Prince's Island if it's possible to find them this way.

Thanks

Thanks v. much RecoveringScot, that's just the sort of information I was looking for. I hadn't heard of "little" Camlica before. Is it the well wooded hill about half a mile to the south of the main site?

Also, is it easy enough to see Yelkouan by taking a ferry across the Bosporus? It might save me a trip to the Prince's Island if it's possible to find them this way.

Thanks

Yes, 'Little Çamlica' is that smaller well-wooded hill (actually a gated town-park) which can be good for small stuff, including Syrian Woodpecker, Collared Fly, Olivaceous Warbler etc etc.) You go further on through Çamlica village than the turn-off for Big Çamlica and the entrance gate is on the right. There's also a cemetery further up the road on the left, but I'm not sure about local sensitivities about using bins in such a place.
Big Ç itself can host a variety of small stuff (Red-breasted Fly being occasionally everywhere) though I must admit that visble migration overhead of things like Yellow Wagtail and Tree Pipits has been less common in my later visits than when I first went thirty years ago. My only Spring visit was more productive.

Yelkouans have been fairly regular from the ferries, but on one trip I happened not to see any. It's just luck I think.

I forgot to mention Black Storks in my last post. I've had up to a thousand in a day in your week, with the odd group of Whites. Vultures (especially Egyptian) are less common today than they used to be, but Griffons are still fairly regular. But anything likely could turn up. By the way both adult Imperials I saw there were at low level, and could actually be seen from above. The immatures went over higher up. Long-legged Buzzard is a pretty much expected migrant also. I've had some stunning views. Brush up on your Harriers from below. They all tend to look the same when they're soaring overhead. Remember to check the pylons (a favourite Saker resting-place)

I wish I was going there too. Raptor passage over Aberdeen, while interesting, isn't quite the same.

One small tip. Even when it's roasting, don't strip off to bare upper torso. Turks don't care for that sort of thing.

Cheers,

Post a report when you get back, so I can dissolve into a heap of powerless envy.

Cheers,

Will do, though I'll try to avoid making you envious. One thing occurred to me that might be useful to know - how do you pronounce Çamlica? It's the two "c"s which I suspect could be easy to get wrong and lead to confusion.

Will do, though I'll try to avoid making you envious. One thing occurred to me that might be useful to know - how do you pronounce Çamlica? It's the two "c"s which I suspect could be easy to get wrong and lead to confusion.

Chaaaaamlijah. ('j' as in 'John')

'Büyük' and 'Küçük' are slightly trickier. If you know German the u-unlaut is similar though slightly closer to our 'i' as in 'hit'.

By the way the stress in 'İstanbul' is on the '-tan-'.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back