• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tried some 10x42 EL's, what is a good price? (1 Viewer)

mikefitz6

I went to the local store and found that they had a pair of 10x42 EL's for $1769. They do not have the SV's in yet.

I brought my 8x32 SE's with me. I did not notice any difference except the EL's seemed to do a little better showing brighter colors, but that could have been the extra magnification.

I tried some 8x42 SLC's and did not think they looked as good as the EL's. I have read in these forums that the newer EL's may have had a better coating, so maybe that is what I saw?

Some Leica 8x32's did not look as good to me as the SE's (not HD's). I did not like the way the Zeiss Victory balanced or the view.

Long story short, the EL's fit my hands, I liked the views slightly better inside and out than my SE's. I liked the balance. I know that binos are an individual thing. Get what feels right and looks good to you. I know I will not like the SV's better because the price on the EL's is already obscene, and I will avoid looking at the SV's when they do become available. I am not sure I would see a $700 dollar improvement in the view anyway.

This post is just a longwinded way of asking if this is a good price on the EL's.

Mike

It seems to be a fair price for a brand new one. Eagle Optics is offering "fully refurbished" "Class A" ones for $1549.99. They are currently out of stock.
Bob

Thanks Bob,

That answered my question. A quick look at a couple of websites did not show any of the EL's for sale.

I appreciate the info.

Mike

I went to the local store and found that they had a pair of 10x42 EL's for $1769. They do not have the SV's in yet.

I brought my 8x32 SE's with me. I did not notice any difference except the EL's seemed to do a little better showing brighter colors, but that could have been the extra magnification.

I tried some 8x42 SLC's and did not think they looked as good as the EL's. I have read in these forums that the newer EL's may have had a better coating, so maybe that is what I saw?.... (some wind removed :)

Mike

What are the first three serial #s on your SE? You might have an older one before they updated the coatings. 505xxx and 550xxx have updated coatings, but I'm not sure about earlier models.

That could be why the EL's color saturation seems better. Or it might be the larger image scale in the EL gives that impression - more of the bird/target fills the view.

You tried the 8x42 SLC HD? And you didn't think it looked as good as the pre-SV EL? Or did you mean 7x42 SLCneu?

Seems like the EL would compliment your SE nicely, better, in fact, than the 10x42 SE, which has slightly less FOV and is probably harder to hold steady due to its lighter weight (good ergonomics, though, but not as good as the EL for me). I also find the EL's eyecups much more comfortable than the SE's.

OTOH, if you can't hold the 10xEL as steady as the 8x SE, you will not have gained much except a larger image and slightly more vivid colors. If you can't see more detail hand held than the SE, you will have to mount the bin.

As far as price, Optics Planet has a new pair for $1,669, and OP is not noted for its alpha bin bargains like Camera Land, which has demos even cheaper, but no 10x42 ELs right now.

A bin in the hand is worth two on the net. That is, it's worth paying extra if you have tried a good sample and are happy with it, and it's always good to support local business, OTOH... here's a brand new 10x42 EL for $1,110 (plus my 10% finders fee :):

http://miami.olx.com/new-swarovski-el-10x42-wb-binocular-l-k-brand-new-iid-85910844

Brock

Last edited:
;)

I tried some 8x42 SLC's and did not think they looked as good as the EL's. I have read in these forums that the newer EL's may have had a better coating, so maybe that is what I saw?

Some Leica 8x32's did not look as good to me as the SE's (not HD's). I did not like the way the Zeiss Victory balanced or the view.

Long story short, the EL's fit my hands, I liked the views slightly better inside and out than my SE's. I liked the balance. I know that binos are an individual thing. Get what feels right and looks good to you. I know I will not like the SV's better because the price on the EL's is already obscene, and I will avoid looking at the SV's when they do become available. I am not sure I would see a $700 dollar improvement in the view anyway.

This post is just a longwinded way of asking if this is a good price on the EL's.

Mike

Mike:

Good to hear about your optics search. I do want to comment as you have
some in common with mine and a desire for similar. ;)

You have the Nikon SE 8x32, and truth is, you may be hardpressed in your search for much better. I have the 8x32 SE, and have some Swarovski EL's,
8.5x42, and really cannot find a winner because they all are very good.

Back to your question of over $1,700 for the original 10x42 EL, is not a good price. I am thinking they should be $1,600 or less. You have some bargaining
power here with the dealer.

Otherwise, be content, and see how good of a bargainer you are. I am thinking
he will deal at a much lower price.

Let us know what you end up with.

Jerry

;)

Mike:

Good to hear about your optics search. I do want to comment as you have
some in common with mine and a desire for similar. ;)

You have the Nikon SE 8x32, and truth is, you may be hardpressed in your search for much better. I have the 8x32 SE, and have some Swarovski EL's,
8.5x42, and really cannot find a winner because they all are very good.

Back to your question of over $1,700 for the original 10x42 EL, is not a good price. I am thinking they should be $1,600 or less. You have some bargaining
power here with the dealer.

Otherwise, be content, and see how good of a bargainer you are. I am thinking
he will deal at a much lower price.

Let us know what you end up with.

Jerry

Good advice, Jerry. In this economy, premium bins aren't exactly selling like hotcakes. It's a buyers market. Just look at the deals automakers are offering - 0% financing, 60 days return period, free detailing, naming their first born after you.. :)

When you talk to the dealer next time, mention the speculation about a "double dip" recession. Who knows how long those EL's might sit there, and after all, the 8.5xs are the most popular model... :)

Lay it on, but not TOO thick. After all, he can't compete with NYC camera dealers price-wise, but he can probably come closer to $1,600.

If you can find some cosmetic flaw in that sample, that will also strengthen your position.

Me, I'd go for the $1,100 Miami Vice sample. Urban sprawl from 10 years of wheeling and dealing btwn our township officials and land barons has virtually eliminated mom & pops from our area and replaced them with "big box" stores and chain restaurants.

So NYC, Miami, Philadelphia, or State College, it's all rock 'n roll to me.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies,

Now that I am 24 hours or so away from the binos I can think clearly again! Holding them in my hands the mind was foggy and I just knew I needed to buy them NOW!

Brock,

I just recently got the SE's and have a higher serial number. I would guess that it was the extra magnification that made things just a little clearer. They only had the older SLC's. I don't think they will get any of the newer models until they sell the old stock. I thought of the 10x42 SE's, but I was also going after waterproof. I would be hard pressed to find a bino that I like better than the 8x32 SE's, so I figured that 10 power and waterproof and roof was enough difference that it would justify the purchase in my sick and fevered mind. Of course I still think that.

Jerry,

I think I will wander in in a few days and see if they are willing to deal. It can't hurt to ask. If I can get them to $1600 or less, then I may buy. Maybe I will need to wait a month or so. Even the folks who helped me said not to worry about stock. These were not going to move very quick.

I will let you all know what happened later this week.

Mike

In support of mom and pop stores:

-I tried out the 8.5x42ELs at the local Sprotsman's Warehouse,
-loved them but got them on the internet and saved sales taxes
-then Sportsman' Wearhouse went out of business

-but then the internet source was an old friend, and then he went out of business also

edj

I went into the local shop and it was made clear what a great deal this is on the 10x42's for only $1769.00. They would not come down in price.

I think I will wait a bit. Maybe they will come down. On the other hand, I realized I was spending an hour or two a day reading about the various binos I was considering, and no time looking through the perfectly good binos I already have.

Maybe I don't need the Swaro's as much as I thought I did!

Mike

I went into the local shop and it was made clear what a great deal this is on the 10x42's for only $1769.00. They would not come down in price.

I think I will wait a bit. Maybe they will come down. On the other hand, I realized I was spending an hour or two a day reading about the various binos I was considering, and no time looking through the perfectly good binos I already have.

Maybe I don't need the Swaro's as much as I thought I did!

Mike

Which is why you should buy the $1,100 pair from the guy in Miami (which just "fell off" the boat last week :) so you won't be wasting your time reading about the bins but looking through them. :)

Hey, your present stockpile of bins may be good, but are they really "perfectly good"? :)

Too bad about the local dealer. Well, he can't compete with the NYC stores or private sellers, however, if nobody else wants to buy them, you can go back and put your quarter in and try again.

The holidays are retailers biggest time of the year. If he doesn't sell them by Christmas, they're yours for $1,669 and not a penny more!

He's got to move these so he can stock the SV EL. Not that the SVs will move any faster, but the thing is, retailers get people to come into their stores to try to top models and then end up selling them something cheaper.

If I walk onto a Ford car lot, I'm naturally going to check out the prominently displayed, shinny new 315 hp dark "Highland Green" Mustang GT that caught my eye from the highway. But if I am in the market to buy, I'm going home with a lime green Ford Fiesta.

However, it was my fantasy about driving a Mustang GT, flying up and down the hills of San Francisco, with a young Ali McGraw by my side, that brought me in.

If he still won't come down in January, call Priceline and get William Shatner after him. :)

Good Luck!

Brock, author of Greed is Good: An Unauthorized Biography of Gordon Gekko.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back