• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Touring Yucatan (2 Viewers)

Sorry to take so long in answering. I saw 70 new species in Yucatan, 73 in Belize and 14 in Tikal Guatemala for a total of 157.. This is counting only new lifers and not total birds seen. Still have not decided where to go for my next trip. Thinking of Galapagos and Cuba. Tom

Thanks Tom,
I would probably do Galapagos if I was you, in part because that can and should be combined with mainland Ecuador which is high on my wish list. The problem is that I only am aware of one way to do Galapagos, as passenger on some type of cruise, and one has to research pretty thoroughly to find one that goes enough places to get all of the endemics as far as I know. Let me know if you find a different way, I am also contemplating Galapagos sometime in 2013-14.

Cuba has about 28 endemics and a bunch of regional specialties, but I do not think you will get nearly the number of new species there that you did in Yucatan. Guy Kirwan et al.'s book is well worth getting if you want to go that way.

Niels

Thanks Niels, I will let you know when I have definate plans about Galapogas. I also considereed island hopping from Aruba to Cuba but at about $150 and up per island, the airfare came to about $3000 besides the cost of getting to Aruba and hotels. What is the name of the book on birds of Cuba? Perhaps we could meet in Galapogos this wnter. Tom

Thanks Niels. I did check Liat. I know I would not find as many birds in Cuba as Belize or Mexico but I sure would like to see the Bee Hummingbird. Tom

A better price for the book (and if you ask nicely you might even get it signed): http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=225103&highlight=kirwan+cuba

I thought there was another thread with a review of this book, but I cannot find it right now.

Bee Hummingbird is on my wish list too, and I suppose I will get an excuse to go one of these years. But Ecuador (and Peru and Colombia) has so many hummers that it is difficult to think about just this one ...

Niels

Thanks Niels, I sent Guy a message. Still not sure if I will go to Cuba this winter or not but will get there eventually so the book would be good to have. Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back