• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Touring Yucatan (1 Viewer)

I went to see the magnificent ruins of Uxmal. The guide book says that the climate here is hot and dry. It does not rain in December so you won't need a raincoat or umbrella. Shortly after we got there it began to rain and it rained all day and all evening. I am begining to think my trip is jinxed. On the bright side, I found some Cave Swallows in one of the ruins. One new lifer although it was difficult to get a nice look at them in the dark building.

Things are looking up. I am feeling better, the sun is shining and I found four new birds. I hired a driver for the day to tour the Ruta Puuc. Ruta Puuc is a group of small Mayan ruins near Uxmal. I went to Sayil, Labna and Kebah. I think these smaller sites are better for birding than the big popular ones such as Uxmal and Chichen Itza, at least in northern Yucatan. There were only a few other people there besides us. The new birds that I saw were the Ivory-Billed Woodcreeper, Olivaceous Woodcreeper, Rose-throated Becard and the Ridgeway's Rough-winged Swallow. The Ridgeway's is a sub-species of the Northern Rough-Winged Swallow. The only difference is a large white spot between the eyes on the Ridgeway's. We are staying in a replica Mayan hut near the village of Santa Elena. Really nice and has a great restaurant. I expect the birding to improve as I move south. Still have not seen any parrots or toucans.

Attachments

• sd 027.jpg
    sd 027.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 31
I am now at Bacalar in the very south of the Yucatan. Found a few new birds. The latest being the Mangrove Swallow and the Snail Kite. My trip total is now 114 with 54 of them being new lifers. Still no parrots or toucans and still have not found the Yucatan Woodpecker although I have seen several woopeckers at a distance. Merry Christmas everyone.

I was very happy yesterday to find my first tropical parrots. (have seen a couple parrots before in Texas and California). Saw a flock of about 20 Red-lored Parrots near Bacalar Mexico. This bird resides along the west coast of Central America from Mexico to South America but not in the Yucatan except at the very south of the peninsula near the border with Belize and Guatemala. This makes a total of 117 birds seen on this trip of which 55 were new lifers. Total lifelist now at 416. Happy New Year everyone.

For my last day in Mexico, I added four new birds. I saw two Toucans but at a great distance and could not make out the colours and patterns. Hope to find another one for a better view. I saw the White-crowned Parrot and the Olive-throated Parraleet. The fourth new bird of the day was the Summer Tanager. This makes my total 125 in Yucatan of which 59 were new lifers. Life total 419. Off to Belize tomorrow so won't make any more entries here until I get back from Belize. Will start a new thread in the Belize area.

I am back in Mexico again after two months in Belize. Two new birds since I got back. Saw the Boat-billed Heron on an island in Bacalar lagoon. Just a brief look with lots of branches in front of the bird. Hope to see another. At Calakmul I saw the Great Curassow. Two others that were not new but notable> I saw a male Painted Bunting that I had long wanted to see. Doesnt not count as a new one because I had seen the female before but not the colourful male. Also at Calakmul I saw the Ocellated Turkey. Does not count as a lifer because I saw them before in Belize but this time I got a good close look. Has a blue head covered with orange warts. Totals so far, 135 in Mexico of which 61 were lifers. Total lifers so far 492. Would love to see an eagle or something special for my 500th bird.

Maroon Jay -
Did you find Limpkins at Bacalar? They were fairly common when we were there. What a birding memory you are creating with this extensive trip!

Steve

Hi Steve, yes, lots of Limpkins. I am staying at a friends house in Bacalar and he lives right on the coast of the lagoon. We get Limkins in his back yard every day. I hear them screaming during the night. Also Snail KItes and Mangrove Swallows. I stay at his house between trips out to other places. Leaving tomorrow to go to Laguna Terminos on the Mediterrean coast of Campeche. I looked for the Ornate Hawk-eagle at Calakmul but didnt find one. Might go and try agian if I have time at the end of my trip. Heading back to Canada in April. Cheers, Tom

I tried to post some photos of the Ocellated Turkey here but I guess they are too large. I was unable to upload them. You can see them on my travel blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/findtom4
At Calakmul I saw about 3.5 million bats coming out of a cave and flying across the moon. Photos and movies of that also. Cheers, Tom

Hey, Tom -
I think we went to the same bat cave. Was the entrance down a large, deep cenote-like hole? I remember the sound of the bats and the funnel they created as they swirled out of the pit. We stayed for 15 minutes and they never stopped coming out by the dozens and hundreds.

I didnt actually see the entrace to the cave. We just stood on the road and watched long columns of bats appearing out the forest, Not hundreds but millions of them. The guide at thre musem said there are between three and four million that emerge each night.

Went for a few days to Isla Aguada on the Gulf coast of Campeche. Here I finally saw the Black-headed Saltator. This is supposed to be a common bird but until now had been eluding me. I also got a nice look at a Red-billed Pigeon that I had been searching for since I was in Texas last winter. I saw one in Belize but it was on a dark and gloomy day and could not make out the colours. I am leaving Yucatan for a while to go to Chiapas and Guatemala.

Back in Yucatan again after a trip to Chiapas, Guatemala and back through Belize to Mexico. Tikal Guatemala was the best birding site of my whole trip. Better than anywhere in Mexico or Belize. You can see my trip report for that in the Guatemala forum.
On the way back through Belize I stopped at a place where there are known to be many species of hummingbirds and I saw eight different ones.
Have not found many birds since I got back into Mexico. I went to one place to tour a cave where I saw bat-eating snakes. Really fascinating.
The only good find I made since I got back was a Pheasant Cuckoo. It is described in my book as being rare and seldom seen. I was on the ground with its wings and tail spread out like a Japanese folding fan. It then vibrated this fan while walking. I assume that this aided it somehow in finding food. A very interesting bird and one I never expected to see.
In the same location, a village called Kantemo, I saw several Turquoise-browed Motmots. I had seen these birds before but this time I got a nice close look at them.
Some others that I did expect to see have still eluded me, such as the Red-crowned Ant Tanager. I may have seen it but am having difficulty telling it from the Red-throated Ant Tanager. They both seem to have red crowns.
I had hoped to see all of the Yucatan endemics but a few still elude me. I have found eight of them but still missing the Orange Oriole, Yucatan Flycatcher, Yucatan Poorwill and the Yucatan Nightjar.
There are a couple of non-migrating warblers that I had hoped to see but did not. They are the Golden-crowned and the Rufous-capped Warblers.
I had a nice close look at a White-fronted Parrot yesterday. Saw lots of parrots over the past few months but mostly at a distance.
I have seen a total of 153 new birds on this trip. One week to go.

Yucatan Endemics. With just four days to go before flying back to Canada I found another Yucatan Endemic - the Orange Oriole. Yucatan Endemics seen: Black-throated Bobwhite, Yellow-lored Parrot, Cozumel Emerald, Mexican Sheartail, Yucatan Jay, Cozumel Vireo, Black Catbird, Yucatan Vireo and Orange Oriole. Not seen: Yucatan Flycatcher, Yucatan Poorwill and Yucatan Nightjar. Have I missed any, seen or not?

A good place to see the Orange Oriole is around Puerto Morelos. Not far from Cancun. Look for a hotel named Kinsol. From there you can see a small woods across the street and to the right. It is only about one block square and full of garbage but I found a lot of birds there including Orange Oriole seen twice, Grey Hawk, Red-billed Pigeon, Blue Bunting, Yucatan Woodpecker. Just the other side of this llittle woods is an abandoned housing project which is another good spot. Lots of White-fronted Parrots there. It is walking distance from the bus stop if you dont have a car.

Last edited:
I am now back in Canada. It has been a great trip through the Yucatan peninsula, Chiapas, Peten in Gutemala, and Belize. I saw 155 new birds in total. 71 in Mexico, 70 in Belize and 14 in Guatemala. I didn’t tour all of Guatemala, just the area around Flores and Tikal in Peten.
My most productive areas were Rio Lagartos where I saw 16 new birds, Maya Centre in Belize where I saw 21, Crooked Tree in Belize - 12, and Tikal Guatemala -14.
My favourite sightings included a Peregrine Falcon which I had a nice look at in Rio Largartos. We have this bird and Canada and I had seen fleeting glimpses of it before but this one posed for me and I had a great look at it. Also in Rio Lagartos, I saw the Bare-throated Tiger Heron which is a striking bird. Striped like a tiger with grey wings and white throat and pinkish belly. Also in Rio Lagartos I saw the Ferruginous Pygmy Owl. It also sat and posed for us. I was on a boat tour and the birds seemed to be used to people in boats. A really cute little owl. Also in Rio Largartos but not in the lagoon, I saw a Cinnamon Hummingbird on its nest. Also saw some feeding their young on a fence. The young ones are like sword-swallowers as the parent puts their long bill down its throat. Amazing. In Belize I saw the Hooded Warbler which is unique and very pretty. I saw the Barred Antshirke which is totally covered with black and white stripes. He looked like he was wearing his pyjamas. A really nice bird. I spend two days slogging around in the jungle near Red Bank Belize looking for the Scarlet Macaw. Two days of mud and rain. It is difficult to find anything in the jungle because you can’t see very far through the trees and bushes. I finally saw one in a tree right above me and later saw eight of them fly by. Magnificent birds. At Spanish Lookout in Belize I saw a pair of Jabiru Storks on their nest. Wonderful huge birds. In Tikal Guatemala I saw the Emerald Toucanet. A wonderful bird for my 500th lifer. One of the birds that I really wanted to see was the American Pygmy Kingfisher. I searched for it without success in Yucatan and again in Tikal. Finally I found one on my last morning in Tikal just before heading for the bus. What a wonderful little bird. At Cockscomb, in Belize, a Long-billed Hermit hovered right in front of face for several seconds. They are large for hummingbirds and that was a thrill. The Green-breasted Mango is a unique hummingbird. The male is dark green with a dark purple tail. The female had a white belly with a dark green vertical stripe down the centre. The Violet Sabrewing is a marvellous, large hummingbird. All dark purple. The best places I found for hummingbirds was at Green Hills near San Ignacio Belize and at Cockscomb, also in Belize. I saw several Torquise-browned Motmots. What a beautiful bird with a strange tail. The long tail has feathers about half-way down, then a space with no feathers, then more feathers at the tip. Sometimes it swings its tail sideways like a pendulum and looks like a beautiful wall clock. One of the birds I really wanted to see was the Painted Bunting since I saw one many years ago in the San Diego zoo. Such a beautiful multi-coloured bird. I saw a couple of them but both times in the shade which was unfortunate. Would like to have seen it in the sunshine. Back in Mexico at a village called Kantemo I found a bird that I had not expected to see. That was the \Pheasant Cuckoo. My book describes it as rare and seldom seen. I saw two of them (or could have been the same bird seen twice). Kantemo is also great for Motmots. Saw lots of them there.
I saw all of the Yucatan endemics except for the two nocturnal nightjars. These included the Black-throated Bobwhite, Yellow-lored Parrot, Cozumel Emerald, Mexican Sheartail, Yucatan Jay, Cozumel Vireo, Black Catbird, Yucatan Vireo, Orange Oriole and the Yucatan Flycatcher. The last two of these birds I saw in Puerto Morelos, near Cancun, just a few days before flying back to Canada. I thought I was not gong to get to see them.
Also in Puerto Morelos, on the beach, I found a Pectoral Sandpiper which is not a Central American bird. It lives in the Canadian Arctic during the summer months and in South America in Winter. I was just lucky to spot it when it stopped for breakfast on its migration north.
Of the Blue Bunting, Western Spindalis, Grey-throated Chat and Blue Grosbeak, I saw only the females and not the colourful males. Of the Grey-headed Kite and the Plumbeous Kite I saw only immature birds in their splotchy colours.
I didn’t make it out to Half Moon Caye (a Caribbean Island that belongs to Belize) to see the Red-footed Boobies. It is really difficult to get there. There are no boats for tourists going there and no accommodations on the island. Dive boats go there and they offered me a ride for $235 but they only stop for lunch at the island. Too much money for a very short time on the island.
Some of the birds on my Most Wanted list that I never saw include the Harpy Eagle which I didn’t really expect to find anyway, the Ornate Hawk Eagle, The Northern Potoo, any Manakin, several species of Parrot still not seen although I saw five species, The Golden-Crowned, Rufous-capped, and Crescent-crested Warblers which do not migrate and therefore cannot be seen in \Canada. Many of the migrating warblers that birders in Mexico get excited about are better seen in Canada or USA. I had a fleeting glimpse of a King Vulture but too far away for a good look. Several species of hawks, eagles and kites that I did not see. The Yellow-tailed and Yellow-backed Orioles evaded me. Also the Caribbean Dove and the Blue Ground-dove.
I usually get a lot of photos on my trips but had bad luck with that this time for various reasons.
Together with all the other sightings, my life list now stands at 518.
Where shall I\ go next I wonder?

Maroon Jay,

Thanks for the summary of a real nice trip. May I suggest South America, especially Argentina for your next trip. I went there in January 2010 and saw 196 species, 168 lifers, between Argentina and a South American Cruise.

Doug Faulder

Thanks for sharing your trip (both here and on the blog). I wonder how many species you had on your total list?

Re where to go next, anywhere S of where you were should be good, with more tropical areas yielding higher numbers in a smaller area.

For comparison: I netted 310 species in about 3 weeks in Panama; 328 species in 2½ weeks in Costa Rica; and 224 species in 3 weeks in Chile (all three places using car and in Chile also internal flights). In between those areas I have visited are some very bird rich countries!

I have just returned from my much shorter trip to Yucatan, more in a few days in my own thread.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back