• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush [?], New York (1 Viewer)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

This afternoon, I spotted a thrush like bird, on the ground, outside my window. The prominent features which I noted were on the top of the head: two dark stripes, separated by a light brown or cinnamon stripe. The breast was light coloured with spots. There may have been a white eye ring, but I am not certain.

Any suggestions?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Hello,

This afternoon, I spotted a thrush like bird, on the ground, outside my window. The prominent features which I noted were on the top of the head: two dark stripes, separated by a light brown or cinnamon stripe. The breast was light coloured with spots. There may have been a white eye ring, but I am not certain.

Any suggestions?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

An Ovenbird?
The spotted breast and the cinnamon crown stripe would fit, and they stalk around going from morsel to morsel in the underbrush just like a thrush.
Nice one in any event. They are always a joy to see.

Hello Silverwolf and Etudiant,

Thank you, as you are undoubtedly correct. I have not seen one in a while and had only thumbed through the thrushes in Peterson's. The ovenbird is among the warblers. This is the first time I have seen one from my flat.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

I wonder about the description "The breast was light coloured with spots.". AFAIK the Ovenbird shows streaks and not spots like the thrushes.

I wonder about the description "The breast was light coloured with spots.". AFAIK the Ovenbird shows streaks and not spots like the thrushes.

See link - Ovenbird spots often (usually) run together in trails of spots, but it always looks like close-knit series of spots rather than streaks as such

The description is spot on (;)) for Ovenbird

http://www.birdxbird.org/OVENBIRD%206%2007.jpg

Jan-Paul, there´s no doubt about the ID, the "two dark stripes, separated by a light brown or cinnamon stripe" makes the bird distinctive together with the breast description.
Maybe it´s just my personal taste that I would descripe the "spots" rather as "streaks" based on their rather elongate then round visual nature.
http://www.roysephotos.com/zzOvenbird26D.jpg

Let´s move on to ID the next unknowns ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back