• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Royal Mile, Budongo Forest, Uganda (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Can anyone give me any tips? Places to stay, bearing in mind I'll have my wife and daughter? They're not keen on roughing it too much. Masindi has decent accommodation but is a bit of a drive especially as I'm not meant to drive the hire car in the dark. I'm not clear if there is a fee to bird the road and everyone seems to use a guide here. I'm not keen on having one but will do so if needed so recommendations and contact details would be appreciated.

Steve, I can't comment on more comfortable environments as we stayed at the local college (perfectly fine albeit rather basic) but my understanding is that a guide is a requirement for birding the Royal Mile nowadays (contrary to previous gen). Have a look at my trip report on here which gives some info for the guide ( I think his name is Raymond). DM me if you need any further info and I'll try to help 👍🏼

Steve, I can't comment on more comfortable environments as we stayed at the local college (perfectly fine albeit rather basic) but my understanding is that a guide is a requirement for birding the Royal Mile nowadays (contrary to previous gen). Have a look at my trip report on here which gives some info for the guide ( I think his name is Raymond). DM me if you need any further info and I'll try to help 👍🏼
I've got your very useful report. I'd be fine staying that the collage but I am not sure if it still puts people up.

Update: So today I went to Royal Mile with the aforementioned Raymond. It was a very good, if exhausting day. Highlights included African Dwarf Kingfisher, Spotted Greenbul, Ituri Batis, Fire-crested Alethe, Cabanis's Bunting, Zebra Waxbill and Grey-headed Oliveback. And a Chimp. A few other targets were heard but not seen.

Raymond confirmed that you're supposed to have a guide at Royal Mile. I paid 90,000 shillings for half a day entry. We visited a few other sites in the area, including the farmland areas and 'the pond'. Raymond was excellent and worked very hard to find things. Note that he doesn't have a speaker or laser pointer, so you might want to bring those along if you have them.

There's very little infrastructure at Royal Mile, just a gate with a guy manning it and a guy who cycles around collecting the fee.

One thing to note is that the road from Masindi to the Budongo area is a bit of a laugh at the moment as it's basically being converted into a new road, which will be very fast once it's done. This makes it a bit tricky and dusty in places, although it's generally pretty obvious where to go.

Sorry but one more question (for now anyway) but I saw on your Twitter account that you saw Grauer's Broadbill. Are they reasonably 'gettable' now? Can you recommend a guide for Bwindi?

Sorry but one more question (for now anyway) but I saw on your Twitter account that you saw Grauer's Broadbill. Are they reasonably 'gettable' now? Can you recommend a guide for Bwindi?
I stayed at Broadbill Camp and use the camp owner Emmy Gongo. The other guide I used in that area was Gordon Rwamushengye (+256 772 682028). They will both know the area. The broadbills were feeding young at the nest and will probably become a lot harder to find once they have fledged (which may already have happened).

I stayed at Broadbill Camp and use the camp owner Emmy Gongo. The other guide I used in that area was Gordon Rwamushengye (+256 772 682028). They will both know the area. The broadbills were feeding young at the nest and will probably become a lot harder to find once they have fledged (which may already have happened).
Yes it looks like I might well be too late for this. I've just read a report where they went mid-July and considered that too late, seeing just the abandoned nest.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back