• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand itinerary (1 Viewer)

Alf King

I am very tentatively investigating the possibility of spending two eeks in Thailand over the Christmas period 2006/07. The time available is very much limited by school holidays and is quite inflexible.

Could anyone offer comments or advice regarding "must see" sites taking into account these time limitations as well as those of travelling. One added complication is that my wife wants to spend two days in Bangkok somewhere along the way. (No I don't know why either!)

Thanks in advance,

You've gotta see Bagkok anyway... it's a great place. The Palace is just incredible
anyway,

Khao Yai Park two hours from Bangkok is a must visit for elephants, pittas and hornbills etc...

Then I'd go either north for a week around Chiang Mai (also a nice place) and go to Doi Inthanon and Doi Ang Khang (Giant Nuthatch) or south to Krabi and try for Finfoot, Mangrove Pitta, Nordmann's Greenshank, Great Knot etc, then a day tripm or two to Khao Nor Chuchi for a go at Gurney's Pitta.

If you don't want to go all the way north or south then Kaeng Krachan is fairly close to Bangkok and a wonderful park too.

Tim

Hi Alf,

As the others say. Obviously start off with a trip to Samut Sakhon for Nordmann's Greenshank & Asian Dowitcher. Possibly Sponn-billed Sandpiper too. Though the best site for the latter is Pak Thale, near Petchaburi, nire a car for this trip (as low as £12 a day), then move onto Kaeng Krachen (my favourite site in Thailand) for a few days, camp in the park, or drive in from one of the few small hotels by the HQ, which is 20 minutes from the entrance (bizarre, I know!).

Khao Yai is in the opposite direction, so head back to Bangkok and 180km beyond. Nice setting, cool birds. Birding can actually be quite slow here compared to Kaeng Krachen, but some rich rewards on offer, Siamese Firebacks, Pittas & Ground-cuckoo. Also some great creatures here, 1 million wrinkle Bats at dusk by the entrance, two species of gibbon and a few snakes (we had 3 Reticulated Pythons along the Radar Road in one evening last year!).

Next, head north like Tim suggests (stopping off in Bangkok for a day!), if time allows, Doi Inthanon a must. Then Doi Ang Khang or/and Doi Chang Dao. Doi Chang Dao will also produce Giant Nutatch (knew you'd get a nutatch in somewhere Tim!), and possibly Hume's Pheasant.

Whatever you decide to do, it'll be a great trip!

James

Thanks guys,

All very helpful and practical advice which i will take on board.

Next is a quiet word with the missus - piece of cake!

Just bumping this up again.

Are there any site guides or handbooks to Thailand, or any others that people think would be relevant?

Just read through trip reports, there are a lot out there, every report always contains something useful, but it is hard work going through to find the really helpful reports. An original, but still seemingly the best, is Eddie Myers report from the early 90's. Available from the OBC (http://www.orientalbirdclub.org). Even this year I've been using it for a couple of sites and nothing has changed (apart from smaller numbers of the 'jewel of the forest' Gurney's Pitta and it's surrounding habitat).

Try to find reports including maps, though most just copy Myers maps. I like reports from the Wallace's, and Chris Goodie provides plenty of useful info in his reports (again, from OBC).

I've recently spent some more time in Thailand, Kaeng Krachen was quite superb as usual, but car required. Khao Sam Roi Yod provided some relaxing, easy, coastal birding, and the saltpans at Pak Thale produced Sponn-billed Sandpipers on queue. Khao Yai remains the same, some good birds to be seen, but can be quiet.

Just drop me an e-mail if you require further info nearer the time.

Thanks James.

It was actually through reading your most recent trip report that I have got around to thinking about the logistics of an itinerary fitting in with school holidays and felt that maps and timings would be useful, hence the reposting.

I find that when you are completely unfamiliar with a country and any local topography it is impossible to get a grasp of what to expect in terms of travelling, access etc. Maps always help me in such circumstances.

I'll follow your suggestions, notably the Ediie Myers report. (Yes I am a member of OBC.)

Hi Alf,

I've got a couple of spare days coming up this week, so I will draw up some maps for you (Kaeng Krachen isn't in Myers report, nor is Pak Thale). PM/e-mail me your e-mail and I'll send them over as and when.

My recent two+ week was excellent, mixing Cambodia with Thailand for 2-3 weeks is more than feasible now with the improving roads in Cambodia (improved to gravel, not tarmac yet!). However, over Christmas a few species are missing during this time, notably Bengal Florican; and Giant Ibis is more difficult. Though of course a week around Angkor Wat, Prek Toal, Ang Trapeang Thmor and Tmat Boey (see latest Birding Asia for logistics) combined with a week in Thailand would be excellent, but involves a lot of travelling.

Just got back from Cambodia (trip report will follow soon), connected with both ibises, Florican, and Mekong Wagtail. Great trip, but was it ever so hot!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back