• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski sales delays (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair my Kowa knocks spots off even an ATS 80 but I need something lighter to carry.
ATS 65 And ATS 80 share the same focal length of 460 mm, which gives the ATS 65 an unusually "slow" focal ratio for a birding scope of f/7.
This allows excellent correction of spherical and chromatic aberration and, within the limitations of its aperture, makes it IMO one of the best birding scopes available.
I can find little to fault with my 883, but like another member here who owns both scopes, the ATM 65HD is in many situations the preferred choice.

John

ATS 65 And ATS 80 share the same focal length of 460 mm, which gives the ATS 65 an unusually "slow" focal ratio for a birding scope of f/7.
This allows excellent correction of spherical and chromatic aberration and, within the limitations of its aperture, makes it IMO one of the best birding scopes available.
I can find little to fault with my 883, but like another member here who owns both scopes, the ATM 65HD is in many situations the preferred choice.

John
Very interesting , thank you John.

Can’t wIt for my ATS65 which I hope to get soon! It has been a long 6- month wait since ordering it, but hope to get it in October!
You will be glad that you waited, it is a superb little scope. I went through a number of scopes over a few years trying to find the right one and good as they all were optically they didn't quite click. Eventually I tried the STS80 and loved it, then added the STS65 a year or so later. The 65 is my go to scope in most situations as it is relatively small and light and gives a fantastic view. The 80 only gets used when I know the extra light gathering will be essential.

I was talking to someone in a shop about the current Swarovski supply. They advised that the system change over should be completed this week and normal supply should soon be back so I am sure you will get the scope in your hands very soon.

You will be glad that you waited, it is a superb little scope. I went through a number of scopes over a few years trying to find the right one and good as they all were optically they didn't quite click. Eventually I tried the STS80 and loved it, then added the STS65 a year or so later. The 65 is my go to scope in most situations as it is relatively small and light and gives a fantastic view. The 80 only gets used when I know the extra light gathering will be essential.

I was talking to someone in a shop about the current Swarovski supply. They advised that the system change over should be completed this week and normal supply should soon be back so I am sure you will get the scope in your hands very soon.
Thanks for the encouragement, just been told IT system now not expected to be implemented for at least 5 weeks, so still no sign of delivery date :)-

Thanks for the encouragement, just been told IT system now not expected to be implemented for at least 5 weeks, so still no sign of delivery date :)-
That sucks. I hope you get it soon. how long can it take to change an IT system?

That sucks. I hope you get it soon. how long can it take to change an IT system?
Cheers. Apparently it will be another 5 weeks until it is upgraded.

Might get it for Xmas! I’m amazed such a high quality company have such delays, bearing in mind I ordered the scope in April.

They're changing their ERP systems - the online shop will be shut for new orders from mid-August until 5th September. Back to normal after that.
Just been told Swarovski I.T. upgrade did not work so still cannot give me any idea of a delivery date for my ATS65 ordered six months ago.

Shambles comes to mind.

Still no reply even contacted them directly and they raised a ticket number in response to this delay from April. Thought I was at last getting somewhere but that was two weeks ago and then heard nothing more.

Sorry but Swarovski customer service sucks.

Still no reply even contacted them directly and they raised a ticket number in response to this delay from April. Thought I was at last getting somewhere but that was two weeks ago and then heard nothing more.

Interesting. Many people swear Swarovski has the best customer service of all manufacturers. I wonder if someone from Swarovski could reply here, after all, they do read this forum.

Hermann

I don't think this is a "customer service" problem. ATS 60 is widely out of stock in the US as well, as a number of instruments are/have been. And on top of that Swaro have their self-inflicted IT debacle, and are also trying to bring out the new ATC. Have you considered asking for some sort of loaner scope in the meantime? Now that would be extraordinary CS.

STILL NONE?!?!

That is very, very far below anything I'd ever call sub-standard care.
I'd be livid.

Yes, just been told they can't give a delivery date and at best will be mid-December.

Regrettably, I have cancelled the order - that will be 8 months since I ordered it 24 April, with no delivery date still, which I feel is absolutely appalling.

Maybe it's my loss.

Sorry to hear this as I think the ATS 65 is unequalled as a 65 mm scope and provides an excellent compromise of performance for weight.
Could it be that Swarovski are discontinuing this model in favour of the inferiour but similarly priced ATC?
To achieve similar or better performance than the ATS 65 would involve additional cost and weight.
Candidates would be the Meopta Meostar S2 or the Kowa 773. The latter was always considered poor value compared to its bigger brother, the 883, but it looks very attractive now in view of the increased price of the 883's successor, the 88A, which has minimal improvements and a dubious facelift.

John

Sorry to hear this as I think the ATS 65 is unequalled as a 65 mm scope and provides an excellent compromise of performance for weight.
Maybe it's my loss.

I think not.

I'm a bird and nature watcher. Not hugely experienced, but I used to be a designer and was once told by a printer that I had 'eyes like a sh1t house rat'. I took that as a compliment!

I'm not into astro, so I don't do star tests (not sure why anyone uses a terrestrial scope for astro, but that's another debate), and I test things according to what my eyes tell me - good light, poor light, high and low contrast, strongly backlit subjects, etc - rather than getting bogged down in technical stuff.

Please take my comments in this context and make of them what you will... we all have our preferences.

So, during the last week I've been trialling number of scopes, from 60mm to 82mm (couldn't decided on portability vs the best I could afford, regardless of spec), as an upgrade to an Opticron MM4 60. Of all the scopes I tested, I cannot emphasise enough that the new Nikon Monarch 60ED-A knocks spots off the Swarovski ATS 65. In terms of false colour the Nikon is almost perfect and its flat field of view is sharp from edge to edge. It has the same barrel focus as the Swarovski and is half the price. I also tried the Monarch 82mm - it's a big beast (possibly too big for me), but it too is superior to the Swarovski.

I really wanted to love the Swarovski and I might not buy either Nikon (not sure I can live with barrel focus), but being undecided on which scope to actually buy, the one thing of which I have no doubt whatsoever is that the Swarovski is not worth the asking price.

Also, there is no comparison between the Swarovski ATS 65 and the Kowa 773. I have a mint used example of the latter on trial and it is even better than the Nikons - I'd give it 97/100 (I deduct 3 points because the fixed EPs are expensive). The Kowa is as light as a 60mm scope.

I won't ramble on further - I hope that my thoughts help you get over your disappointment with Swarovski.

I think not.

I'm a bird and nature watcher. Not hugely experienced, but I used to be a designer and was once told by a printer that I had 'eyes like a sh1t house rat'. I took that as a compliment!

I'm not into astro, so I don't do star tests (not sure why anyone uses a terrestrial scope for astro, but that's another debate), and I test things according to what my eyes tell me - good light, poor light, high and low contrast, strongly backlit subjects, etc - rather than getting bogged down in technical stuff.

Please take my comments in this context and make of them what you will... we all have our preferences.

So, during the last week I've been trialling number of scopes, from 60mm to 82mm (couldn't decided on portability vs the best I could afford, regardless of spec), as an upgrade to an Opticron MM4 60. Of all the scopes I tested, I cannot emphasise enough that the new Nikon Monarch 60ED-A knocks spots off the Swarovski ATS 65. In terms of false colour the Nikon is almost perfect and its flat field of view is sharp from edge to edge. It has the same barrel focus as the Swarovski and is half the price. I also tried the Monarch 82mm - it's a big beast (possibly too big for me), but it too is superior to the Swarovski.

I really wanted to love the Swarovski and I might not buy either Nikon (not sure I can live with barrel focus), but being undecided on which scope to actually buy, the one thing of which I have no doubt whatsoever is that the Swarovski is not worth the asking price.

Also, there is no comparison between the Swarovski ATS 65 and the Kowa 773. I have a mint used example of the latter on trial and it is even better than the Nikons - I'd give it 97/100 (I deduct 3 points because the fixed EPs are expensive). The Kowa is as light as a 60mm scope.

I won't ramble on further - I hope that my thoughts help you get over your disappointment with Swarovski.
Hi PT

Can I ask where you tried out the Nikon Monarch scopes or did you have to purchase and return unwanted items?
Thanks

I cannot emphasise enough that the new Nikon Monarch 60ED-A knocks spots off the Swarovski ATS 65. In terms of false colour the Nikon is almost perfect and its flat field of view is sharp from edge to edge. It has the same barrel focus as the Swarovski and is half the price.
That is either a wild exaggeration or completely false.
I own a 10 year-old ATM 65HD (optically identical construction to ATS 65 but with magnesium body) and for its size it comes closer to optical perfection than anything else I have seen.
With a 3,5 mm Televue Nagler eyepiece at 130x magnification I measured a resolution of 1,78 arcseconds, which is diffraction limited and could not be equalled by a 60 mm scope. With its 30x W eyepiece there is no detectable field curvature, astigmatism or rectilinear distortion and there is just a mere trace of lateral CA. I would expect current ATS65s to have improved coatings for slightly better transmission.
I also own a good specimen of the Kowa 883 and in good lighting with the TE-11WZ set to 30x the only significant difference is the somewhat larger AFoV of the ATM 65 (65° vs. 60° measured).

John

See the video linked by Bill Atwood in post#175 on the ATC/STC thread. They also have a very high opinion of the ATS 65.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back