• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Love Rekindled (1 Viewer)

Tringa45

Europe
About twenty years ago I bought my first "good" binocular, a 7x42 SLC. A few weeks earlier the Photokina exhibition in my home city had offered the opportunity of testing most of what was available. I was less experienced then although my eyesight was better and presbiopia had not advanced sufficciently to force me to wear glasses permanently.
The SLC's CA correction is undoubtedly less good but my preference over the Zeiss FL was probably because of the ease of view and the better edge correction.

With binoculars as well as scopes there are always situations where one wishes for more magnification and I acquired a succession of higher magnification binoculars culminating in a 10x42 EL Swarovision bought in 2012, which I still have. An 8x33 Kowa Genesis followed and later an 8x56 SLC, but over the years the 7x42 SLC has been my most used binocular.
Its eye relief later proved to be ideal when wearing glasses - no need for click stops, it's either in or out.

A few months ago when doing a paper test (viewing a white sheet of paper through the objectives) I noticed an internal dark smudge in one of the barrels and, although this was not visible in normal use, the 7x42 took a back seat for a while. Then I read Canip's excellent resumee here Swarovski SLC 7×42 “Habicht” – Binoculars Today and decided I needed to get it fixed and sent it in to Swarovski for a clean and nitrogen filling.

Swarovski's quote surprisigly included new barrels, new armour, new focussing lens mounts and new eye cups for a total higher than I had origially paid for the binocular, but all free of charge, so I was happy to pay the labour costs for a completely restored binocular. It was dispatched yesterday in Absam via UPS and arrived today and I don't recall any new purchase bringing more pleasure than receiving my old SLC effectively as NOS.

The serial number has been retained (D7347....) and, AFAIK, no optical components have been replaced so it probably has the original 3-layer multicoatings but nevertheless transmission around 85%. The focusser, previously somewhat sticky, is now wonderfully smooth and, all in all, the binocular is an absolute joy.

For many products there are periods which could be considered vintage. I can't imagine any of today's automobiles becoming collectors' items but the 1950s and 60s were a golden age for mechanical watches and similarly I think the 1990s and 2000s were a vintage period for binoculars. They were produced without superfluous frills, many like the Trinovids and SLCs were built like tanks and the optical engieers designed them as they considered necessary, without the constraints of demands for reduced weight by uninformed customers. My 7x42 SLC weighs 950 g but has large prisms and less vignetting than almost all the current crop, a factor that contributes to the superb ease of view.

To all with similar treasures, keep them well maintained and don't let them go!

John

Nice report John and good to hear. I've been running a 7x42 neu as my main birding bin for a few months now, arrived at them quite by chance but am very glad I did.

Congratulations on the renewal of your 7x42, John. It sounds like this "smudge" was on the inside of the tube, not on a lens... did you find out what it was, perhaps some sort of corrosion?

I too feel there was a "golden" period of binoculars whose dating I would stretch until 2013, to include SLC 56. Later improvements, however impressive, seem to be making them fussier to use, and perhaps less durable.

For some reason vignetting isn't a subject that comes up much here, and I've never really been bothered by it myself; I wonder whether it just happens to be low on models I've used. Where have you found it most noticeable?

Nice report John and good to hear. I've been running a 7x42 neu as my main birding bin for a few months now, arrived at them quite by chance but am very glad I did.

Congratulations on the renewal of your 7x42, John. It sounds like this "smudge" was on the inside of the tube, not on a lens... did you find out what it was, perhaps some sort of corrosion?

I too feel there was a "golden" period of binoculars whose dating I would stretch until 2013, to include SLC 56. Later improvements, however impressive, seem to be making them fussier to use, and perhaps less durable.

For some reason vignetting isn't a subject that comes up much here, and I've never really been bothered by it myself; I wonder whether it just happens to be low on models I've used. Where have you found it most noticeable?
Thanks, Will and Eric. Swarovski mentioned a deposit on the prism(s), perhaps a volatile component of a lubricant (my guess).

I had considered starting a thread on vignetting but don't have a full understanding. Perhaps I'll kick it off anyway and hope that Henry chimes in.

Regards,
John

About twenty years ago I bought my first "good" binocular, a 7x42 SLC. A few weeks earlier the Photokina exhibition in my home city had offered the opportunity of testing most of what was available. I was less experienced then although my eyesight was better and presbiopia had not advanced sufficciently to force me to wear glasses permanently.
The SLC's CA correction is undoubtedly less good but my preference over the Zeiss FL was probably because of the ease of view and the better edge correction.

With binoculars as well as scopes there are always situations where one wishes for more magnification and I acquired a succession of higher magnification binoculars culminating in a 10x42 EL Swarovision bought in 2012, which I still have. An 8x33 Kowa Genesis followed and later an 8x56 SLC, but over the years the 7x42 SLC has been my most used binocular.
Its eye relief later proved to be ideal when wearing glasses - no need for click stops, it's either in or out.

A few months ago when doing a paper test (viewing a white sheet of paper through the objectives) I noticed an internal dark smudge in one of the barrels and, although this was not visible in normal use, the 7x42 took a back seat for a while. Then I read Canip's excellent resumee here Swarovski SLC 7×42 “Habicht” – Binoculars Today and decided I needed to get it fixed and sent it in to Swarovski for a clean and nitrogen filling.

Swarovski's quote surprisigly included new barrels, new armour, new focussing lens mounts and new eye cups for a total higher than I had origially paid for the binocular, but all free of charge, so I was happy to pay the labour costs for a completely restored binocular. It was dispatched yesterday in Absam via UPS and arrived today and I don't recall any new purchase bringing more pleasure than receiving my old SLC effectively as NOS.

The serial number has been retained (D7347....) and, AFAIK, no optical components have been replaced so it probably has the original 3-layer multicoatings but nevertheless transmission around 85%. The focusser, previously somewhat sticky, is now wonderfully smooth and, all in all, the binocular is an absolute joy.

For many products there are periods which could be considered vintage. I can't imagine any of today's automobiles becoming collectors' items but the 1950s and 60s were a golden age for mechanical watches and similarly I think the 1990s and 2000s were a vintage period for binoculars. They were produced without superfluous frills, many like the Trinovids and SLCs were built like tanks and the optical engieers designed them as they considered necessary, without the constraints of demands for reduced weight by uninformed customers. My 7x42 SLC weighs 950 g but has large prisms and less vignetting than almost all the current crop, a factor that contributes to the superb ease of view.

To all with similar treasures, keep them well maintained and don't let them go!

John
Sorry I didn't follow the costs bit -- the repair was free or it wasn't? Did they have a lifetime warranty when you bought them? Just curious. And congratulations and reconnecting with an item you truly enjoy.

Had I known Swaro did upgrades like this (and more - upgrading prisms etc), I'd probably not have sold my SLC 8x30 mark II... Absolute little tank of a bino with its only real flaw (if you could call it that) being slightly less bright than the 8x32 FL that replaced it.

Sorry I didn't follow the costs bit -- the repair was free or it wasn't? Did they have a lifetime warranty when you bought them? Just curious. And congratulations and reconnecting with an item you truly enjoy.
Thanks.
I think the binocular had a 30 year guarantee but I was very happy to pay the relatively minor labour costs having been offered such an extensive refurb without parts costs. I was somewhat surprised that the barrels etc. were exchanged, as there was no exterior damage, but on reflection perhaps the sticky focus was due to wear and required an exchange of the focussing lens mounts.

@Patudo,
This was really a restoration, not an upgrade, as AFAIK no optical components were exchanged. My 2003 build already had the Swarobright dielectric coated prisms and the possible 2% gain in transmission of the improved coatings on the SLC Neu was not an issue.
I somewhat prefer the modest exterior of the old version to the Neu.

Just by the way: I was out birding yesterday with three others and took the 7x42. The 10x42 EL might have been more appropriate in the situation but I had my 2011 vintage ATM65 HD with me. One of the others had a massive 100 mm Optolyth "Fluorite" scope and was positively surprised at the clarity of the little Swarovski scope in comparison!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back