• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sussex Birding (1 Viewer)

Had a look for it on Sunday. No sign - the previous night had been very clear with a full moon so ideal conditions for it to go.

Thanks guys. Thats a bummer... would have been my first Snow Bunting and a good photo opportunity. Are the Shorelarks still at Cuckmere Haven or have they also gone?

Don't know whether this is a regular winter feature, but over the last two days I've had a few Black Redstarts on the beach between Lancing and Worthing. They like to hang aound the sea defences, but are also pretty good at hiding in them!

There's been a male Hen Harrier at Pulborough Brooks and Amberley Wild Brooks showing well - got good views of it from the RSPB reserve on Saturday. Never seen the reserve so busy, couldn't move in the main hide overlooking the North Brooks at one point!

Seven Barnacle Geese amongs the Canada Geese too.

And strangely a Black Swan seen from the train between Amberley and Arundel stations, accompanied by a couple of Mute Swans. Has the WWT in Arundel lost one...?

firecrest

whilst enjoying an afternoon walk yesterday at the reserve called the Mens i had very good views of a firecrest with a small group of crests. i put it like that as i only managed to get on the one bird well enough for a definite id so the others which were higher and in thicker foliage could have been either fire or goldcrests also had good views of a couple of very noisy buzzards displaying/sparring just above the trees
among the other highlights were several nuthatch including one which seemed to be feeding on the ground??? and good numbers of the commoner tits
this was my first visit to this woodland and have got to say that it is a very impressive place with some magnificent beech trees
cheers

A beautiful Sunday midday at Arundel WWT. After speaking to one of the volunteers who mentioned that there was nothing out of the ordinary around it looked like we would settle for a stroll and a coffee and the usual captive and visitor birds.

But from the Sand Martin hide across the water at about "1 o'clock to the hide" in the tallest trees with the yellow flowers found a total of 6 Bullfinches, 3 male, 3 female. All 6were seen at one time so a small flock. Only the third time I have seen a male Bullfinch, never seen a female before. Then 3 come at once!

obm

Hi all,

I'm at a wedding at Hastings this weekend, and won't have much time for birding, but I was wondering if there's anywhere semi-reliable where a quick dirty twitch for Dartford Warbler could be had at this time of year?

Hi all,

I'm at a wedding at Hastings this weekend, and won't have much time for birding, but I was wondering if there's anywhere semi-reliable where a quick dirty twitch for Dartford Warbler could be had at this time of year?

I'm afraid although I'm ten miles from there I'm such a hermit I have absolutely no idea of what the situation is, but Firehills in Hastings Country Park sometimes produces at this time of year- can I suggest visiting this blog and hitting the link to Andy for up-to-date info:
http://wildhastings.wordpress.com

Well after not being able to get out birding for months due to work commitments Jackie and i finally got to go birding today with a visit to the very picturesque South Downs at Burpham.After a pitstop in Arundel for the obligatory Full english :) we got to Burpham about 9.15 and walked up to the car park between Peppering Farm and the high barn to see lots of anxious faces as the Pallid hadn't been seen.
Well its certainly a raptor fest up there with at least 12 Buzzards,a red kite,marsh harrier,peregrine,kestrel,sparrowhawk and a male Hen Harrier on show.
Got to 11am and we were just packing up the scope when the Pallid appeared from the SE and gave a blistering performance either side of the road some way ahead of us.
Stunning bird and much better views than i had of the Norfolk bird some years ago.
Shame the LTS had gone from WeirWood but cant complain about the quality of the birds seen this morning.

Another beautiful morning spent at Burpham waiting for another good Raptor to show - didn't have to wait long as the RLB came and sat in a tree for the gathered viewers for a while before giving a splendid flying display for us all.
Raptor wise its better than Stubbs Mill.

Pulborough YBW

Can I have some information about the YBW at Pulbrough rspb plz. Going there tomz

YBW has been seen in hedges and sallows anywhere from right next to the visitor centre (children's play area end) to the bottom of the zig zag path. It associates loosely with Blue Tit flock. It can flick out into the open but spends much time head height and mostly obscured. Best way of locating it is listen for it's bright 'tsoeet' call - google for sound recordings.

Good luck and don't forget to look out for Firecrests, Crossbills, Peregrine, White-fronted Geese etc.

To bring this up to date a bit, the Rough-legged Buzzard showing superbly on Saturday 10 December, pretty much all day. Also still two ringtail Hen Harriers present and Red Kites, Kestrels and Buzzards seen. Someone else had a Merlin but I missed it.

John

Short-eared owls showing beautifully at Waltham Brooks at the weekend - I saw two, was told by others that were at least three in the area.

"Dawn of the Ducks" at the RSPB reserve at Pulborough was very cold at 6.30am, but the full moon's reflection shimmering off the water and ice of the north brooks was a beautiful site, and we were awarded with the Bewick's Swans, and the resident female peregrine taking a Teal - cracking show!

The fry-up as part of the event was well worth it too!

I am coming over your way tomorrow. I see the RLB has been seen again at Burpham. Any directions of where to look/park would be appreciated.

Thanks

It looks as if the last of the Short-Eared Owls have left Beeding Brooks. Saw one three days ago and none since. But today I did see our local Barn Owl, which has been absent since the SEOs appeared. Obviously those northern interlopers pushed the Barnies off their patch. I'm so glad to see them back.

Rough-legged Buzzard still at the Burgh yesterday, first in its favourite bush from the crosstracks, later flying up and down the rabbit slope South of there.

Also the pale Buzzard doing a decent imitation, it nearly got me on arrival.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back