• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sussex Birding (2 Viewers)

On a weekend visit to Sussex to visit relatives managed to get a bit of birding to a couple of old haunts. Rough legged buzzard showed behind the Burgh along with a pale morph common buzzard. Also saw red kite at the Burgh and at North Stoke village.

A possible Iberian chiffchaff showing and singing well at Horsham throughout my 4 day stay from 19th to 23rd. This bird frequents the Horsham Memorial Gardens between the rear of Sainsbury's superstore and the river Arun. It appeared slightly paler and fresher looking than the usual 'chiff' one of which was also in the same area. The song was know doubt that of the Iberian race best described as 'chiff,chiff trtrtrtrtrtrtrtr chwit,chwit.

Not sure if any other Sussex birders have noticed this bird.

Si.

It looks as if the last of the Short-Eared Owls have left Beeding Brooks. Saw one three days ago and none since. But today I did see our local Barn Owl, which has been absent since the SEOs appeared. Obviously those northern interlopers pushed the Barnies off their patch. I'm so glad to see them back.

SEO's won't push Barn Owls off their territory, both can and do exist on the same 'patch'

SEO's won't push Barn Owls off their territory, both can and do exist on the same 'patch'

So it's just coincidence that the Barn Owls stopped hunting in this field just when the SEOs turned up (within the same week) and that the Barnies started hunting in the field just as the majority of the SEOs left?

This is a field that I can see all day and a hunting owl is not something I could easily miss. Other birders I spoke to while waiting for the SEOs to start hunting had also noticed the absence of the Barn Owls.

SEOs have been recorded attacking Barn Owls - LINK.

Hi all. Spending a few days with the family in Bosham at the end of July -- not the best time of the year I know. Whilst most of our time will be spent at Peppa Pig world etc :-( I was wondering if Bosham harbour is worth a stroll around? Also any other places of interest nearby.

Thanks for any info.

Rich

Sabine's Gull at Brighton - I found a juvenile Sabine's Gull on Brighton seafront yesterday while walking back from breakfast, and with no optics - I couldn't believe it when it flew in front of me - I rushed back with the camera, fortunately it hung around and was seen by others during the afternoon....

Last edited:
Does anyone know what is at watersfield near pulborough. Doesn't matter what it is but I would just like some info on the area. Going there next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back