• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Vice County Life List (1 Viewer)

Canons Farm Banstead 28/03/2010

192 Black Redstart (Phoenicurus ochruros)

2 Females found by Devil Birder this afternoon.

News hot off the press Barnacle Geese have been accepted by the records committee but my Hooded Crow was not ( A Hybrid was seen in Peckham around the time of my sighting). Therefore Surrey VC total remains 192.

Don't know where you heard this Kev (but I think I can guess), I haven't even submitted them yet!

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave

I have removed the comment but have left them on my list for now. If they are not accepted I will remove them.

Beddington Farm 21/04/2009

195 Glaucous-winged Gull (Larus glaucescens)

This bird has been accepted by the BBRC therefore I have added this to my Surrey list. Total is now 195. More pics on Bird Identification Q & A.

Attachments

• DSCN9245.jpg
    DSCN9245.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Beddington Farm Glaucous winged Gull 1.jpg
    Beddington Farm Glaucous winged Gull 1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN9224.jpg
    DSCN9224.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN9239.jpg
    DSCN9239.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Walton Reservoirs 25/07/2010

196 Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres)

Having been present for 3 days I finaly caught up with this bird. Thanks Dave and John for helping me record another Surrey tick.

Attachments

• Walton QE2 reservoir Turnstone 2.jpg
    Walton QE2 reservoir Turnstone 2.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 63
Cannons Hill Farm 28/08/2010

197 Common Quail (Coturnix coturnix)

A text from John Allan had me running from my girlfriends house to firstly collect my car then arrive at CHF to news of its not been heard since 0810. A few Beddington birders joined the finder Devilbirder in a stake out which lasted all day. The bird was heard again at around mid-day but was proving very elusive getting within a few feet of observers without being seen. As numbers dwindled John Devil and I went into skulk mode watching a path. The bird came out of the scrub briefly changing its mind when it saw us laying low. The bird was not seen again but was heard further up the field.

Beddington Farm 16/09/2010

198 Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris melanotos)

Attachments

• Beddington Farm Pectoral Sandpiper 1.jpg
    Beddington Farm Pectoral Sandpiper 1.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Beddington Farm Pectoral Sandpiper 2.jpg
    Beddington Farm Pectoral Sandpiper 2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 49
  • Beddington Farm Pectoral Sandpiper 3.jpg
    Beddington Farm Pectoral Sandpiper 3.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 59
Beddington Farm 24/09/2010

199 Sandwich Tern (Sterna sandvicensis)

Another early start in low cloud had Dodge (Roger Brown), Badge (John Allan) and myself staking out the lake when we all heard the terns but could not immediately find them...panic!... They dont stay long!.... But they (2) were picked up on the far side of the lake. Celebration followed which even raised half a smile from Badge!! These birds completed my two Surrey target birds for the year the other being Turnstone.
The picture is the best of a bad bunch. Dodge had the best shots....

Attachments

• Beddington Farm Sandwich Tern 1.jpg
    Beddington Farm Sandwich Tern 1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 66
Beddington Farm 25/09/2010

200 Northern Gannet (Morus bassanus) B :) B :) B :) B :)

Sometimes you make your own luck....... A non eventful day at the Farm 6 - 3pm which produced a Wigeon and a Dunlin as newcomers. Saw the three amigos (Dodge Badge and myself) depart the Farm. However news of Gannets had been circulating with news of them along the Thames. Messages to Badge followed by a phone call from Dodge and a text stating Pinpoint Pete Alfrey was at the Farm had me returning Dodge's call..... "Get ur **** in gear we are going back to the Farm". I picked Dodge up and had a strange desperate urge to get to the Farm. We met up with Pinpoint and stood on the Sand Martin bunker. We had not been there ten minutes when Dodge exclained "Lads ive got three Gannets here". There they were coming straight for us.....Stay calm get my camera and fire away...... This suprisingly happened in that order and several shots were taken (one below).....Then the famous "Wooooooo hooooo!" echoed across the Farm.. A bit of texting and a few handshakes later and Kojak was dancing about like a madman..... My 200th Surrey tick and what a one to get........ Fantastic!!!

This is what birding is all about !! I am still buzzing!! B :) B :) B :) B :)

Attachments

• Beddington Farm Northern Gannet 2.jpg
    Beddington Farm Northern Gannet 2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 63
South Nutfield 05/10/2010

201 Corn Bunting (Emberiza calandra)
(-) Grey Partridge (Perdix perdix)

Went in search of the former thanks to Factors exellent directions saw c11 birds which have bred in the past here. I heard the later which showed on the hedge/bush line before flying off across the field into another hedgerow. I make some phone calls realizing the later was a rarity in Surrey these days. I saw the bird again before it flew along the hedge/bush line and was not re located before dusk.

There understandably are concerns as to whether the partridges are genuine wild birds. This record may fall by the wayside for that reason.

I have recently 09/01/2011 seen two Grey Partridge that certainly appear to fit the not from a feral population bill therefore I have taken this record off the list unless other research shows this group to be of wild origin.

Attachments

• South Nutfield Grey Partridge 1.jpg
    South Nutfield Grey Partridge 1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Island Barn Reservoir 11/11/2010

202 Velvet Scoter (Melanitta fusca fusca)

Having been talking with Mike "Posh" Spicer about Beddington Bird reports I managed to tag along onto a visit to Island Barn courtesy of Steve "Hurricane" Spooner. The wind was heavy but having sheltered below the reservoir wall Posh re located the bird on the far side. Dave "Ninja" Harris joined us to enjoy views of the bird.

Thanks Dave for the news last night and Steve for allowing access to the site. Woo hoo!

Last edited:
Cut Mill Pond Puttenham Common 19/11/2010

203 Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena)

Attachments

• Puttenham Common Red Necked Grebe 1.jpg
    Puttenham Common Red Necked Grebe 1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Headley Heath 22/11/2010

204 Mealy Redpoll (Carduelis flammea)

Having had a report from Steve Gale re a large flock of Redpolls on the Heath. I went with Roger Browne and met John Allan and Mike Spicer. At least 3 birds identified in a flock of 3 - 400+ Lesser Redpolls. Park in 2nd car park opposite cricket pavillion and take path towards small ponds and view Silver birch.

This technically this is a life bird having not differentiated between Lesser and Mealy prior to them being split.

Returned to the Heath today 23rd with John, T Bros and Devilbirder who joined us late on.... Several Mealy with other good candidates were within the 300+ mobile flock...

Attachments

• Headley Heath Redpoll 1.jpg
    Headley Heath Redpoll 1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Beddington Farm 03/12/2010

205 Snow Bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis)

Thanks to a split second decission by Pete "Pinpoint" Alfrey to return the Farm instead of walking the Wandle trail.. The call went out Snow Bunt with Yellowhammers on Mount Beddington.. These were new arrivals this area having been checked this morning by Pinpoint. Only problem was there was not alot of daylight time left.... Dodge was marooned in the snow and had started walking!!!... I answered his distress signal picking him up in the Woohoomobile in Wallington and we made it to the Farm.... Now to negotiate the mound...... Not a pretty or comfortable trip for me!!
Anyway we joined the few other fortunate Beddington Birders watching the first bird on the deck for 100 years (viz Pinpoint).

I was so wrecked that I didnt have the energy to celebrate then heard a Barn Owl had been seen hunting near the South Lake. This was a year tick I missed it due to my lack of mobility these days.... Fortunately this will be rectified over Xmas of all times!!

Another Surrey tick in the bag thanks all for spreading the news... I dont think the bird has been re located today which is a shame..... I am recovering!!! Woo hoo!!!

Attachments

• Beddington Farm Snow Bunting 1.jpg
    Beddington Farm Snow Bunting 1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Beddington Farm Snow Bunting 2.jpg
    Beddington Farm Snow Bunting 2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Cobham 09/01/2011

206 Bewick's Swan (Cygnus columbianus bewickii)

18 birds found in a flooded field by Steve "Cpt Hurricane" Spooner.

I was taking a gentle stroll at Holmethorpe when news broke. Couldnt have been further away from transport and still unable to run following the op. Ages past and I linked up with Dodge to view the birds. Thanks Steve, Dodge, John and RBA for getting the blood pumping again.

Compton 09/01/2011

207 Grey Partridge (Perdix perdix)

The quickest Surrey tick I have had. We turned up at the gates to the field and there they were staring at us. A few pics later and we were off.

Attachments

• Cobham Bewick Swan 1.jpg
    Cobham Bewick Swan 1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Compton Grey Partridge 1.jpg
    Compton Grey Partridge 1.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Cobham 18/01/2011

(?) Pink-footed Goose (Anser brachyrhynchus)

A text from Dave Harris saw a scramble from the Farm to see a single bird amoungst Greylags on the flooded fields where the Bewick's Swans have been present.

The only question now is the bird of wild origin..... The bird lost feathers whilst we were there... Was this caused by an injury or sickness or escape from a pen...I did not see the legs so I do not know if the bird was ringed or not.... Over to you rarities committee! (Four of whom were there to see the bird).

Thanks Dave for the news....

The bird had gone today 19th but the flock of Greylags were still there with the odd looking goose.......viz Dave.

Attachments

• Cobham Pink Footed Goose 4.jpg
    Cobham Pink Footed Goose 4.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Cobham Pink Footed Goose 1.jpg
    Cobham Pink Footed Goose 1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Cobham Pink Footed Goose 2.jpg
    Cobham Pink Footed Goose 2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Surrey Private Site 23/01/2011

208 Common Eider (Somateria mollissima)

Many thanks for information regarding this bird.

Attachments

• Surrey Eider 2.jpg
    Surrey Eider 2.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Holmethorpe CP 09/03/2011

209 Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons)

A 1st winter bird was found by Graham James in a field by Spynes Mere. Thanks Graham and Gordon for the phone calls.

No evidence of rings or wing clipping / damage.

This bird has been accepted by the records committee.

Attachments

• Holmethorpe CP White Fronted Goose 2.jpg
    Holmethorpe CP White Fronted Goose 2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Holmethorpe CP White Fronted Goose 3.jpg
    Holmethorpe CP White Fronted Goose 3.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Holmethorpe CP White Fronted Goose 6.jpg
    Holmethorpe CP White Fronted Goose 6.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 47
  • Holmethorpe CP White Fronted Goose 4.jpg
    Holmethorpe CP White Fronted Goose 4.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Beddington Farm 06/09/2011

210 Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris alpina)

Juv on the South lake this afternoon viewable from the footpath. Thanks John for the news.

1630hrs Latest from John bird has moved to the enclosed lagoon with 2 Little Stints and 6 Ringed Plover......

Attachments

• Beddington Farm Curlew Sandpiper 1.jpg
    Beddington Farm Curlew Sandpiper 1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Walton Reservoirs 26/10/2011

211 Shore Lark (Eremophila alpestris)

Finished early at work realised I could get to res before dark and off I went..... Could not find bird but bumped into Richard Sergeant who pointed me in the right direction... Then another birder assisted further and eventually found the bird then had the treck back in pouring rain..... Thanks Dave "Ninja " Harris for information....

Last edited:
Beddington Farm 14/11/2011

212 Brent Goose (Branta bernicla)

After a 7 month absence (bar Curlew Sand twitch) a day off coincided with E wind low cloud and some mizzle....off to the Farm for me and what a good choice that was. Early pm saw the bird come in from the West attempt to land with Canadas on the mound and was promptly dispatched flying off East.

I was the only one who did not get pics due to excitement factor at a Surrey / Beddington tick.... But Badge, Dodge and Garry had a good chuckle at me jamming into a tick!!...Cu again in 7mths was my reply!.... pics on John Allan's blog...

Also found out the Holmethorpe Whitefront had been accepted.....Not a bad day..!

Last edited:
Walton Reservoirs 23/11/2011

213 Grey Phalarope (Phalaropus fulicarius)

Still present this afternoon some pics on Badge's blog. Thanks Ninja and Badge for information.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back