• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sumatra ---- Questions (1 Viewer)

Chris D

http://www.birdforum.net/printthread.php?t=57019

Well, looks like maybe we'll head to Sumatra next June or so. I've been reading some trip reports and also the above thread. Thanks James on your info on N Sulawesi. We had a wonderful time.

Anyway, We've been in the Danum Valley and spots on the Malay Penninsula. Some of the areas in Sumatra seem quite interesting. We like simple places to stay and nice people. I always employ local people as guides and drivers, etc.

I would be a dream to at least see Tiger tracks. I worked with Coastal Brown Bears in Alaska for three years--------it would be great to see evidence of a large carnivore somewhere else. And I'd love to see a Great Hornbill-----struck out in West Malaysia.

Any new info people have would be greatly appreciated. I also like specific places to stay and recommendations of guides and such. Dale (my wife) gave her bino's to our Sulawesi guide (Untu) who took us to Halmahera. He gave his old jobs to Anu. We'll treat people as well in Sumatra. Just need an intro.

Our style is to stay in a few places. Get to know the forest and people. Danum for us was mindblowing - not just the birds, but the mammals, etc. I've heard that it's an anomoly but Sumatra does look quite interesting. Nice forest with a place to stay and someone I can hire for a few days of guiding.................Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,

Great to hear Wallacea was as good as it promised to be. Regarding Sumatra, you can't go far wrong with doing the usual birding sites. You'll adore staying at Kerinci with Pak Subandi at his homestay, possibly the best homestay throughout Asia, Subandi is simply unrivalled. Like I said to Xavier (who had an equally great time there), easy to reach from Padang using public transport or hired transport. There is a chance that Subandi will have his own vehicle to collect you by next June.

At Way Kmbas you are required to employ the local rangers due to the high density of Tigers (seen several times recently), it is incredibly scary walking along the open road on your own at night here! If you are considering doing some exploration, look into visiting Bukit Barisan Selatan, I can put you in contact with some guys working there, not sure how you would get on, might be visiting there myself at the end of June, Sumatran Ground-cuckoo and Sumatran Babbler will be there somewhere.

In terms of other sites worth visiting, consider Gunung Leuser, still good forest left and visit Ketampe for the Sumatran Orang-utan's.

I can put you in touch with some locals to organise logistics should you prefer this. PM or e-mail me if you would like their details. We've just uploaded our last trip report from Sumatra to give you an indication of some of the highlights.

Thanks James. Excellent info. I know it's a long wayz away, but our recent trip is fresh in our minds. Also, I'm reading the Patrick O'Brien "Aubrey/Maturin" collection and they're in Sumatra. I'm sure there's been a few changes since 1815, though I'm sure the English navy still kicks butt. Anyway, I do love that part of the world. Thankfully my wife does too. She also has always had a keen interest in Tigers.

Our time in Sulawesi and Halmahera was excellent. Thanks again. I'll try to work Sulawesi in with Sumatra next summer. We made some great friends in the Minahasa Highlands and ended up getting involved with their singing group. We'll also spend some time on the coast again. Perhaps Bentenan.

Thanks again.............Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back