• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Holiday (1 Viewer)

spuggyhawk

We are visiting Suffolk march 25th for a week, staying in a place called woodbridge. Could i ask you guys with local knowledge to point me towards some good birding spots in the area. also any local speciality birds i should/could get to see.... Thanks in advance.
Jon

We are visiting Suffolk march 25th for a week, staying in a place called woodbridge. Could i ask you guys with local knowledge to point me towards some good birding spots in the area. also any local speciality birds i should/could get to see.... Thanks in advance.
Jon

Hi,

As you're staying in Woodbridge, the Deben there down along to Martlesham Creek and at Melton is worth a walk. Used to be my patch, here's my old web site - Wildlife Around Melton which will give you an idea what was seen in the area when you're visiting. Not too far for Upper Hollesley Common either. Best bet as it's in that period between winter and spring is Minsmere, Boyton Marsh, the heaths at Dunwich and Westleton.

Gi

Thanks GI

Hi,

As you're staying in Woodbridge, the Deben there down along to Martlesham Creek and at Melton is worth a walk. Used to be my patch, here's my old web site - Wildlife Around Melton which will give you an idea what was seen in the area when you're visiting. Not too far for Upper Hollesley Common either. Best bet as it's in that period between winter and spring is Minsmere, Boyton Marsh, the heaths at Dunwich and Westleton.

Gi

You stand a chance of Dartford Warbler, Woodlark & Crossbill on Upper Hollesley Common, as you would too on Lower Hollesley Common and Sutton Common. There are lots of Fallow Deer in the area too and Hare in the arable fringes.

Dartford Warbler is easier on Dunwich Heath and Westleton Heath. Early mornings on sunny days will probably give the best chance of hearing them sing or in the case of Crossbill flying over calling.

Unfortunately your just a bit too early for the bulk of the spring migrants except for maybe the first Garganey, Chiffchaff, Swallow, Sand Martin, Wheatear or Blackcap and passage White Wagtail, Black Redstart or if really lucky Ring Ouzel. There is always the the outside chance of an early Osprey or Spoonbill.

Red Kite often pass through or linger in Suffolk, especially along the coast in March, Common Crane can also put in an appearance, but are best seen at RSPB Lakenheath reserve which could be visited en-route. The Brecks area near there, may also hold early returning Stone Curlew or displaying Goshawk. A Black-bellied Dipper has been wintering just over the border at Thetford and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Willow Tit and Hawfinch cling on in the area.

Minsmere is your best bet for a wide variety of birds, with Bittern booming, as well as Water Rail giving piggy squeals, Marsh Tit singing, Marsh Harrier displaying & Bearded Tit pinging and Avocet coming back and maybe Firecrest too. It may hold Garganey on the scrape and some of the migrants metioned above if the winds are right. Probably too early for Stone Curlew, but possible. There is also always a chance of Otter, Red Deer and Muntjac in and around the reserve.

Landguard is also very good for spring migrants, especially Wheatear & Black Redstart and Mediterranean Gull or Peregrine might be around. There have been regular YL Gull there recently too.

Caspian Gull are regular on Minsmere Scrape

Barn Owl should be looked out for on Minsmere Levels, but are regular at Boyton, Lakenheath, Eastbridge Meadows among others. Little Owl isn't always easy to catch up with, but I know a few good spots close to Woodbridge.

Garganey may also be possible at Boyton, Lakenheath and other coastal areas.

Winter geese can linger at North Warren, Boyton or the Minsmere area.

Water Pipit are regular at Southwold Town Marsh in at this time of the year as well.

Rarities like Penduline Tit can also turn up in March at Minsmere or Dingle Marshes in March, and Gt White Egret, Glossy Ibis, ST Treecreeper, Cattle Egret, GG Shrike, Alpine Swift, Pallid Swift, Lesser Kestrel, Ferruginous Duck and Bluethroat have all turned up at the end of March in the last 5 years in Suffolk.

The Suffolk Birding with BINS link below will give you an idea of what to expect in March at some of the sites:

http://suffolkbirding.m.webs.com/si...bs.com/suffolkbirding/&fb_sig_network=fw#1303

Keep an eye on it to see what is around.

Hope that helps

Sean

Thats a lot of usefull info Sean.. Thank you very much.
Jon

You stand a chance of Dartford Warbler, Woodlark & Crossbill on Upper Hollesley Common, as you would too on Lower Hollesley Common and Sutton Common. There are lots of Fallow Deer in the area too and Hare in the arable fringes.

Dartford Warbler is easier on Dunwich Heath and Westleton Heath. Early mornings on sunny days will probably give the best chance of hearing them sing or in the case of Crossbill flying over calling.

Unfortunately your just a bit too early for the bulk of the spring migrants except for maybe the first Garganey, Chiffchaff, Swallow, Sand Martin, Wheatear or Blackcap and passage White Wagtail, Black Redstart or if really lucky Ring Ouzel. There is always the the outside chance of an early Osprey or Spoonbill.

Red Kite often pass through or linger in Suffolk, especially along the coast in March, Common Crane can also put in an appearance, but are best seen at RSPB Lakenheath reserve which could be visited en-route. The Brecks area near there, may also hold early returning Stone Curlew or displaying Goshawk. A Black-bellied Dipper has been wintering just over the border at Thetford and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Willow Tit and Hawfinch cling on in the area.

Minsmere is your best bet for a wide variety of birds, with Bittern booming, as well as Water Rail giving piggy squeals, Marsh Tit singing, Marsh Harrier displaying & Bearded Tit pinging and Avocet coming back and maybe Firecrest too. It may hold Garganey on the scrape and some of the migrants metioned above if the winds are right. Probably too early for Stone Curlew, but possible. There is also always a chance of Otter, Red Deer and Muntjac in and around the reserve.

Landguard is also very good for spring migrants, especially Wheatear & Black Redstart and Mediterranean Gull or Peregrine might be around. There have been regular YL Gull there recently too.

Caspian Gull are regular on Minsmere Scrape

Barn Owl should be looked out for on Minsmere Levels, but are regular at Boyton, Lakenheath, Eastbridge Meadows among others. Little Owl isn't always easy to catch up with, but I know a few good spots close to Woodbridge.

Garganey may also be possible at Boyton, Lakenheath and other coastal areas.

Winter geese can linger at North Warren, Boyton or the Minsmere area.

Water Pipit are regular at Southwold Town Marsh in at this time of the year as well.

Rarities like Penduline Tit can also turn up in March at Minsmere or Dingle Marshes in March, and Gt White Egret, Glossy Ibis, ST Treecreeper, Cattle Egret, GG Shrike, Alpine Swift, Pallid Swift, Lesser Kestrel, Ferruginous Duck and Bluethroat have all turned up at the end of March in the last 5 years in Suffolk.

The Suffolk Birding with BINS link below will give you an idea of what to expect in March at some of the sites:

http://suffolkbirding.m.webs.com/si...bs.com/suffolkbirding/&fb_sig_network=fw#1303

Keep an eye on it to see what is around.

Hope that helps

Sean

No worries..hope you enjoy your hol. If you want any more info, then drop me a PM. I live just 10 mins drive from Woodbridge & like Gi know the surrounding area well.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back