• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Storage of equipment (1 Viewer)

Thanks, I should perhaps have noted that, having been a professional chemist for 40 odd years, I had a general "feel" for the basics.

My interest is purely academic and based around how the air is "dried".
Is there a clear chemical process - i.e. a tray of desiccant or another process that removes moisture ?
And purely on a practical note, is cleaning your gear thoroughly before placing it in the cabinet part of the overall process (excluding moisture and dust) ?
yes , pre drying/cleaning will be aprt of my process, as to exactly how it works , i am not 100% sure with this model, some use a desiccant material others use a combination of temp control too. Not researched this model , my guess would be it has a fan, heater and desiccant material inside a control box

Thanks, I should perhaps have noted that, having been a professional chemist for 40 odd years, I had a general "feel" for the basics.

My interest is purely academic and based around how the air is "dried".
Is there a clear chemical process - i.e. a tray of desiccant or another process that removes moisture ?
And purely on a practical note, is cleaning your gear thoroughly before placing it in the cabinet part of the overall process (excluding moisture and dust) ?
The typical active dehumidifying cabinet is an enclosure with electronic humidity control that automatically maintains a stable relative humidity (RH) at a preset level. Simpler models usually feature a small Peltier element to condense and remove the air-bourne moisture.

OK, I get it.
hopefully you have a heat pump rather than a desiccant and you can avoid regenerating the desiccant in future

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back