• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Storage of equipment (2 Viewers)

shrek48

How do you store your camera and lens to avoid fungus/dust or damp ??? Dry cabinet, pelican case with silica sachets ?
UK based ;-)

worried about dust and fungus, do u just leave it in a bag or case on the shelf ??

Me, I leave it just on a shelf, not in a bag or anything (the camera actually also spends a significant amount of time on the living room table -- to the extend where my wife has asked whether I consider it a decorative piece....). Most of the time, I leave the lens caps on though. I don't worry about dust or fungus; sometimes I fear it might get dropped if someone grabs something else lying next to it or behind.

My point of view is that impairment of the camera or lens would be a perfect excuse to buy something new.

Tried to reduce my carbon footprint by having an air source/air con heating and cooling system installed in the house last year so humidity levels are low enough not to worry too much so it's on the shelf for me too.

worried about dust and fungus, do u just leave it in a bag or case on the shelf ??
Hi mate

My bins are in there cases purely so I can grab them and go when heading out for a walk.

But my 4 cameras are just sitting out in the open and not in there cases on the shelf.

My binoculars and 2 of the cameras are weather proof and the other 2 i simply leave the lens caps on never had an issue with either dust or fungus.

Cheers Stu

Hi mate

My bins are in there cases purely so I can grab them and go when heading out for a walk.

But my 4 cameras are just sitting out in the open and not in there cases on the shelf.

My binoculars and 2 of the cameras are weather proof and the other 2 i simply leave the lens caps on never had an issue with either dust or fungus.

Cheers Stu
I think the majority say that uot in the open in the house is best, this way they get air flow and not get hot /cold in a bag or tuff box etc, so I bought a front filter and will leave it out so the air circulates ! thanks !!

I think the majority say that uot in the open in the house is best, this way they get air flow and not get hot /cold in a bag or tuff box etc, so I bought a front filter and will leave it out so the air circulates ! thanks !!
Hi mate

Sounds like a good plan cameras are pretty robust anyway. Just enjoy it and get some brilliant pics.

Glad I could help.

Cheers Stu

I keep caps on so dust doesn't get on the optics, lens bodies/camera bodies/binocular bodies can just be wiped with a damp cloth. Fungus is much more likely to develop if kept sealed up - airflow helps.

Well, A deal came up on a new Dry cabinet so I took the plunge and bought it, so my kit is now in 40% humidity controlled cabinet and of course dust free. I think worth it considering the cost of the camera & Lens.

Attachments

• 29-03-23 humidity cabinet .jpg
    29-03-23 humidity cabinet .jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
Iā€™m not familiar with the function, etc. of a dry cabinet.
Will you clean binoculars and cameras prior to putting them in the cabinet, to exclude dust, etc. from the great outdoors ?
Does it have a tray of desiccant or is there a separate process which extracts the moisture from the air ?
Looks like it is set at 24C, presumably advise from the manufacturer.

cheers

Iā€™m not familiar with the function, etc. of a dry cabinet.
Will you clean binoculars and cameras prior to putting them in the cabinet, to exclude dust, etc. from the great outdoors ?
Does it have a tray of desiccant or is there a separate process which extracts the moisture from the air ?
Looks like it is set at 24C, presumably advise from the manufacturer.

cheers
it's fuction is to help prevent, dust and fungus, it is a cabinet that is air tight and has humidity control, so a fan etc , factory set at 40% humidity but you can change that is u wish, but so far all I have read is that 35% to 45% is the perfect humidity to store camera equipment. In the uk maybe I do not need one, but better to have than not was my thinking, especially as I had a fantastic deal.

it's fuction is to help prevent, dust and fungus, it is a cabinet that is air tight and has humidity control, so a fan etc , factory set at 40% humidity but you can change that is u wish, but so far all I have read is that 35% to 45% is the perfect humidity to store camera equipment. In the uk maybe I do not need one, but better to have than not was my thinking, especially as I had a fantastic deal.
Thanks, I should perhaps have noted that, having been a professional chemist for 40 odd years, I had a general "feel" for the basics.

My interest is purely academic and based around how the air is "dried".
Is there a clear chemical process - i.e. a tray of desiccant or another process that removes moisture ?
And purely on a practical note, is cleaning your gear thoroughly before placing it in the cabinet part of the overall process (excluding moisture and dust) ?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back