• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spots in Lake District (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Hi, Heading with the family to the lakes in August. Are there any family friendly birding spots to spend a day or even half a day. Also are there any optics shops in the area. Two birds I'd love to see are Ospreys and Golden Eagle. Thanks Ger.

Hi, Heading with the family to the lakes in August. Are there any family friendly birding spots to spend a day or even half a day. Also are there any optics shops in the area. Two birds I'd love to see are Ospreys and Golden Eagle. Thanks Ger.

The Golden Eagle viewpoint at Haweswater is staffed at the weekends, so you would have a very good chance of an eagle sighting. Bassenthwaite is still your best bet for ospreys - go to the Forestry Commission visitor centre at Whinlatter and there's tons of osprey information there that the kids would love. Optics - nothing much more than Jessops in Carlisle that I can think of.

Mike

For Optics I would head down to Lambert's in Lancaster. It is purely an binocular/telescope shop, not a photographers with a few bins in the corner.

As for the Golden Eagle I would defiantly go when the observation post is staffed, especially in August when the bird can spend all day sat in a tree. The volunteers know where all the favourite perches are.

Thanks for the replies, I will definately go to Haweswater and Bassenthwaite and hopefully get to see the Goldie and Osprey. Thanks Ger.

Leighton Moss has quite a few optics FS in the visitor centre if you were to make the trip down.

Had a great time in the lakes. I got to see plenty of birds. 3 lifers but unfortunately no goldie at Haweswater, Needle in a haystack comes to mind but boy what a place to be on a sunny morning with not a sinner in sight, It was breathtaking.

The Osprey viewpoint at Bassenthwaite is an excellent place to stop for an hour or two as while the Ospreys were busy hiding from view the bird feeders that are placed at the viewpoint were very busy indeed. There were Great Spotted woodpeckers, Nuthatches, Jays, Siskins and tons of Coal,Great and bluetits. Also a visit from a beautiful Red Squirrel.

Everywhere I went in the lakes and Yorkshire dales there was plenty of birdlife and I was really impressed by the amount of birdfeeders I saw in the villages and peoples front gardens as I was driving through. A thoroughly enjoyable holiday, Thanks Ger.

Glad you had a good time! Missed your thread as I've not been checking up on birdforums for a while. Let me know if you're back up here again and I might be able to direct you to a few sights!

Glad you had a good time! Missed your thread as I've not been checking up on birdforums for a while. Let me know if you're back up here again and I might be able to direct you to a few sights!

Will do, I'm up there quite regularly. That was my 5th time up there but my first with my interest in birds. To think I honeymooned up there and if I had my interest in birds then It would have been a short marriage I think:-O Ger.

Any pointers/sites for a Devon-based birder who will be spending a week near Windermere at the end of September?

Thanks in anticipation,
James

Yeah, might not have gone down too well dashing around trying to catch up with a few species! :)

You need to get the Other Half a pair of bins too ;)

Neil & I honeymooned in the Lakes in August/September 2001 and had a brilliant time....had lifers in Osprey & Bittern (Bassenthwaite and Leighton Moss respectively) :t:

Mind you, Neil has always known with me it's a case of Love Me, Love My Bins ;) They go EVERYWHERE with me :-O

Hi squidge. I visit Hawswaster every year for the Golden Eagle and I like yourself failed to see it this July. Spent over 4 hours looking, never missed out before. I would be interested to know if he has been seen lately?

You need to get the Other Half a pair of bins too ;)

Neil & I honeymooned in the Lakes in August/September 2001 and had a brilliant time....had lifers in Osprey & Bittern (Bassenthwaite and Leighton Moss respectively) :t:

Mind you, Neil has always known with me it's a case of Love Me, Love My Bins ;) They go EVERYWHERE with me :-O

LOL I've tried to no avail. I'll keep working on it but I think I've more of a chance of seeing a dodo than getting my wife interested, No patience. Although she did come with me to the Bassenthwaite and enjoyed it so maybe there is hope.:t: Ger.

Hi squidge. I visit Hawswaster every year for the Golden Eagle and I like yourself failed to see it this July. Spent over 4 hours looking, never missed out before. I would be interested to know if he has been seen lately?

Yep no sign of the Eagle and not a person around to ask if he had been seen lately. Although I had only bins with me so scoping the surrounding mountains had its limitations. It wasnt too bad as I had a Dipper and the Ravens to keep me company. Maybe next time;) Ger.

LOL I've tried to no avail. I'll keep working on it but I think I've more of a chance of seeing a dodo than getting my wife interested, No patience. Although she did come with me to the Bassenthwaite and enjoyed it so maybe there is hope.:t: Ger.

You need to show her something that gets her excited!!! *and not being rude here!* :-O But I think that's often the way with birding - folk aren't interested until they see something which sparks that interest and it just grows from there. I've been nuts about wildlife since watching David Attenborough when I was about 3yo in the early 70's but with Neil it was only in 1997, when I took him down Jesmond Dene, and he saw his first moorhen! He was just blown away by the subtle colours and they're still his favourite bird....even tho' I've shown him kingfishers, bee-eaters etc :king:
Last time Neil & I were in Lakes was 2009 and we did the hike up to the Bassenthwaite viewpoint and he really enjoyed that too....once his lungs had recovered :-O

I know how he felt. I only went as far as the first viewpoint thats all my lungs would take. LoL Getting her excited. Mmmmmm I'll have to work on that one although she does like otters so maybe I'll use otters as an excuse and subtlety get her more interested. Ger.

The best time to see the eagle at Haweswater is in May & June when it is displaying, after that is just sits around for a few hours, flies the minimum distance to find some food and then sits around for a few more hours.

It is best to go up when the RSPB volunteers are up there as they keep track of it and know where all the fave spots are. The observation distances can be huge, going when the volunteers are there means you can use their scopes rather than lug your own. Although I have been up there several times when folk have set up their own scopes and had to be laboriously directed, just right of the pointy rock by the second scrubby tree.. rather than use the RSPB scope that is pointed straight at the bird!

Mono

The best time to see the eagle at Haweswater is in May & June when it is displaying, after that is just sits around for a few hours, flies the minimum distance to find some food and then sits around for a few more hours.

It is best to go up when the RSPB volunteers are up there as they keep track of it and know where all the fave spots are. The observation distances can be huge, going when the volunteers are there means you can use their scopes rather than lug your own. Although I have been up there several times when folk have set up their own scopes and had to be laboriously directed, just right of the pointy rock by the second scrubby tree.. rather than use the RSPB scope that is pointed straight at the bird!

Mono

Yes unfortunately there was no warden at the time I was there. I think its wardened from 11.30am on. I was there around 6am so it was just me and a lot of pointy rocks and scrubby trees.;) Ger.

To be fair he will and does at most times- although the next couple of months he may be a bit less conspicuous-i`ve seen him displaying from early January onwards.

I was in Riggindale at the end of August and he was flying about most of the afternoon.

The Viewpoint is only staffed usually from the end of March until the end of August and only at weekends and Bank Holidays (11-3 i think)

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back