• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Kon Tum, Vietnam (1 Viewer)

Icemano,

Brilliant accounts, keep it up, your really intriguing me by all these, especially seeing the forest so close the road. Could you give me some further details as to what elevation the forest is at? I have a few days extra in Vietnam for some remote birding in February, would be very tempted if there is internet access and it's near Dak Glei/Mt Ncoh Linh area.

Regards,

James

Aim now back in Vietnam again after my duties on West Sumatra.

Due to the fact that the last weeks has been very rainy and wet up here in the Mountains the soil under our house has started to erode/collapse to the point that it is no longer safe to live there, I have contacted a few constructers down in the city which hopefully will be able to repair the damages the weather has caused, they say it will take about a week/nine days, before they are done, meantime we will have to live somewhere down in the city.

But at least I got out a few hours of birding yesterday, got out early in the morning and choosed the same areas as last time due to its closeness to the city (about an hour away) where I was going latter that day in search for a house or flat to rent, despite about 2 hours of birding no new birds turned up, altough a few Green peafowls was seen and they has started to becoming a common sight, espceially in these more open grasslands, I saw no less than 9 birds this morning. A huge flock of Oriental White-eyes was observed as they were feeding in three together with a number of bulbuls and barbets. Four red-headed vultures and a few crows was seen feeding on a dead horse. today I also found a quail caught in a snare, it had been caught by its left leg, I released the poor bird, it run away and seemed to be ok. I took away the snare and luckily it isnt a very common sight here (probably to far away from most large communities), I didnt see more than 20 types of bird this morning and I consider that rather poor

Despite I had no luck with the birds this morning my mammal list grew extensively. The Gaurs was the big suprise of the day, apparently only 70 animals still survive here and they are extremely shy, or so I had heard, however I had great views of 4-5 animals grazzing just next to the road, they didnt run away as they saw me but keept some distance (I assume that the large threat to them is breeding with domestic cattle, hunting seems to be limited on them here), five sambar deers was oberved at far distance, one Yellow-throated marten was oberved as it tried to hide in a tree (apparently one of the rarest carnivores here), a large civet (Large Indian?) was oberved shortly as it walked over the road.

The only important gap I have in my list now is the Crested Argus altough I have good hope finding it on some of the more remote limestone cliffs in the area, which I hope to be able to climb up to someday. I have already seen birds for sale down in the city and dozens of stuffed specimens and tail plumes. So it must remain in at least low numbers somewhere.

Attachments

• gaur 1.jpg
    gaur 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 208
  • gaur 2.jpg
    gaur 2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 207
Back on patch

Aim back!!!!!

After about 6 months of renovation (which at first was said to take a week at most) of our house we are back in the mountains again. Things just got worse since by last post and the house were nearly lost in the end of September due to erosian, it was about to slip down a 200-300m mountain ridge. The founding has now been completely rebuilt (as much of the house) and hopefully the feather wont cause any more problems in the future, perhaps wishing to much.

Anyway, its good to have picked up birding again at least (after a long, no-birding period). Stupidly I have said yes to continue working on Sumatra for another 1-2 months, meaning that I will not have time to bird as much as I want on my patch until May.

Havent done any serious birding here since we returned two days ago; this morning started good though with a total of three crested serpent-eagles flying pass the house as we were having breakfast. A black kite, a male greater flameback and a group of house sparrows is what I have seen so far, I hope to finally do some serious birding tomorrow and to re-visit my old patch after quite a while, hopefully it will show to be just as rewarding as since I last visited it.

A freind of mine saw two Aim back!!!!!

After about 6 months of renovation (which at first was said to take a week at most) of our house we are back in the mountains again. Things just got worse since by last post and the house were nearly lost in the end of September due to erosian, it was about to slip down a 200-300m mountain ridge. The founding has now been completely rebuilt (as much of the house) and hopefully the feather wont cause any more problems in the future, perhaps wishing to much.

Anyway, its good to have picked up birding again at least (after a long, no-birding period). Stupidly I have said yes to continue working on Sumatra for another 1-2 months, meaning that I will not have time to bird as much as I want on my patch until May.

I havent done any serious birding since we arrived at the house two days ago; a total of three crested-serpent eagles seen today, as well as a male greater flameback, a black kite and dozens of house sparrows. I hope to be albe to do some serious birding tomorrow and revisit my old patch, quite a while since I last visited it and aim hoping it will be just as rewarding as when I visited it last year.

A friend of mine has reported seeing a number of Mrs Gould sunbirds in the area the last 3-4 weeks, a quite rare bird here and hopefully I will be able to track some down tommorrow. The presence of Argus phesant has also been confirmed from the area now, the freind seeing the sunbird has seen several recently captive ones in the area as well as one briefly in the forest shown on photo 3, reply 19 here in the thread.

My list as of today.

1. Crested serpent-eagle
2. Black kite
3. Greater Flameback
4. House sparrow

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back