• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Kon Tum, Vietnam (2 Viewers)

Icemano

Me and my family live on the countryside in the southern part of the Kon Tum Province, Central Vietnam, a place often called "the roof of Vietnam". We have only been here a little bit more than a week now (moved here from Myanmar) and my birding opportunities has been few so far. We have been busy with restoring the house and to build a terrace but with that almost done now I will be able to take up my birding again

We have the fortune of living in a quite low populated part of Vietnam, there is less than 40 people living here in the village and therefore the sourrondings has been pretty much spared from logging and hunting should, according to our neighbours, be very low in the surrounding forests, on our newly built terrace you got terrific views over a small, forest covered valley. I havent acctually been into the forest itself yet but I hear green peafowls calling from inside the forest on a daily basis, with a total of at least 3 males heard calling just yesterday, a quite impressive number.

During the following days I will hopefully be able to start building on my list.

Attachments

• 30110102.ForestView[1].jpg
    30110102.ForestView[1].jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Hi Icemano,
The view from your terrace is fantastic - I look forward to hearing what you find in the forest, should be very interesting indeed. Good luck with the restoration.

Hi Icemano from another Vietnam-based birder.

Let me know how you get on up there. I am based in the Mekong Delta, some good birds down here too.

Can't help you much with birds up there, as I have never birded there.

Today I was about to explore my local patch for the first time, the patch is situated in a forest valley, some 30-40 m beneath our house is so I thought that the easiest way to enter the forest must be to climb down under the terrace and then start climbing down the 30-40 to the forest floor.

I soon realized that was hardly possible; the terrain under the terrace was very steep, the soil had started to erode, sharp limestone rock covered most of the ground and the undergrowth was extremely thick, and the terrain just seemed to get even worse further down the cliffs, my wife told me that any attempts to climb down 30-40m in this treadious terrain would be quite dangerous, after some 30 minutes of thinking I realized myself that the only way to get to the forest was to take the car and head downhill for some km and try to find another spot, after have driven downhill for about 2km I found a spot which seemed much more suitable, I parked the car and headed for the forest, I meet a few local loggers on the way and asked them if they knew anything about the wildlife inside the forest, they showed to have incredible knowledge as they have lived in the area for several decades and told me that tree leopards (clouded leopards), leopards, several kinds of hornbill were all common inhabits of the forest, yes there had even been several recent records of tiger from the forest.

My first sign of wildlife was a few footprints seen in the dry soil, apparently made by some of the larger wildcats, either by leopard or golden cat, a very promising start of the day. The first birds of the day I actually managed to locate and id by the voice, it did take quite a while before I saw the birds, but after some egger watching up in the canopy above me I spotted them, two possibly three adult Indochinese Green magpies was observed foraging in the leaflets above me, as they share the colouration of the leafs on the trees this bird can sometimes be extremely hard to see, you often hear it but much rarely sees it. This species is a near-endemic to the Indochina region, great stuff and another sign that shows the remarkable diversity of this forest, I hadn’t been here more than 20 minutes by the time I saw the magpies, but were already very excited, wild cat tracks, rumours of tigers lurking in the forest, uncommon green magpies, what would come up next?

I walked on along the small walk patch, which looked like being made by the mammals of the forest, it was very narrow and I could see that deers, pigs or macaques had foraged on roots and leafs along the patch. As I walked on a small ridge I could here something move somewhere beneath the ridge, whatever it was it disappeared before I could get a glimpse of it, a few minutes later I heard the distinctive call of the male green peafowl, the call was heard very well and it was very clear, suggesting that the bird was pretty close to me, and aim sure that the animal by the ridge probably was a green peafowl that was running away. The following minutes were rather calm and noting more than solitary butterflies were seen.

The habitat along the patch varied much, one moment you walked through dense rainforest-mossy montane forest while sometimes you come to a place where the grassy plains replaced the habitat, as I entered one of the more open parts along the patch I noted a quite large freshwater lake surrounded by beautiful reed wed, I took a while before I noted the small black-brown birds that was hiding in the tall grass that were hanging over parts of the lake, the birds was very shy and didn’t dare to enter more open water as I stood there, watching them, although I got good enough glimpse of a few birds to be able to id them as Little grebes, I noted at least 5-6 of these cute little birds. The next bird I saw was some sort of bird of prey, I did get rather bad views of the bird as it was flying high above the valley, although I would but a guess on either some species of hawk-eagle or maybe Crested serpent-eagle, both white-bellied and Scaly-breasted munias took advantage of the open habitat and was seen sitting in the long grass looking for preys or predators. A few juvenile black-hooded laughingthrushes was also noted picking large ants and bugs from water buffalo dung. Several species was relatively common in this more open habitat, I therefore spend over an hour here and this was indeed rewarding, species seen was red-headed vulture (a true rarity in Vietnam), King quail, Black-headed bulbul, Black-crested bulbul, Flavescent bulbul, Oriental white-eye, Blue magpie, Slender-bellied Oriole, Indochinese cuckoo-shrike and Greater racket-tailed drongo, after have spending almost two hours I thought it was about time to start heading back home again, on my way back I didn’t noted much, saw nothing unusually expect of one bird, a male bar-bellied Pitta was observed skulking in the undergrowth, the colouration was shining as the sun hit him, very beautiful, a shy creature and was at first very hard to see, just a good amount of luck got me looking right in the spot where he was, not either calling or making any sounds, just pure luck I got him, he was definitely the best bird of the day.

After all a ok first day, rather few species seen, I will be back shortly and will then head deeper inside the forest, I just scratched a bit today, lots of more things are still out there to be seen, I already looking forward to my next visit.

1. Little grebe (5-6 adult birds)
2. Red-headed vulture (1 adult and 1 juvenile bird)
3. Crested serpent-eagle (1 adult possibly seen)
3. Indochinese Green magpie (2-3 adult birds)
5. Blue magpie (2 adult females)
Green peafowl (only heard, will hopefully see one next time)
6. King quail (1 adult female seen)
7. White-bellied munia (2 flocks of 6 respectively 12 birds seen
8. Scaly-breasted munia (1 flock on 9 birds was seen)
9. Black-headed bulbul (a few small flocks consisting 5-8 birds were seen)
10. Black-crested bulbul (3 birds seen)
11. Flavescent bulbul (a flock of 8 birds seen)
12. Black-hooded laughingthrush (I at least assume it was this species, correct me if aim wrong, at least 4 birds seen)
13. Oriental white-eye (some 20-30 birds seen)
14. Slender-bellied oriole (5 birds seen)
15. Indochinese cuckoo-shrike (1 adult bird seen)
16. Greater racket-tailed drongo (2 adult birds seen)
17. Bar-bellied Pitta (1 adult male seen)

Attachments

• dense forest.jpg
    dense forest.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 203
  • grassland.jpg
    grassland.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 206
  • eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 196
  • print.jpg
    print.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 230
Icemano,
Thanks for the report from your new 'local patch' and the photographs. Seems to be a very interesting area with good opportunities for some excellent birding. Looking forward to reading about your next venture. Mind those big cats, though!

Hello BGuy,

Yes the veiw from the terrace is amazing, especially for birds of prey and hornbills, sees them daily from up here and pretty close to. The house is almost done now, just a few things left to be done now. Yes one should be carefull with the Tigers, but on the other hand I really whish I would see one, majestic creatures.

Hello Hanno,

Great to see another birder from Vietnam here, aim sure you see loads of intresting things down in the south, I grew up in middle of the Mekong delta as a kid and my intrest for birds started as I lived here, fascinating birdfauna.

Hello Mark,

Very glad that you enjoy the thread, it will be much more to come.

No trip down to the forest planned today, I was busy with painting the last parts of the house, put together the newly delivered fence to the swimming pool, put in new glass in the windows and wash off the cars, after a couple of hours of hard work I took rest of the day off, sat on the terrace, reading some old OBC magazines and took a cold beer.

I hadn’t planned to do some birding related stuff today but as I consider the surrounding of the house as my local patch as well I couldn’t resist watching a little bit, overall sat on the terrace for over three hours and simply couldn’t spend all my time reading old magazines, a small flocks of curious Eurasian tree sparrows had flew up on the terrace and was now jumping around, looking for some little insect or seed to feed upon, as the day starting to turn into afternoon the temperature got a bit colder and as aim situated up in the mountains it started to get a bit cloudy, I was start to fear that rain was on the way, I noted a few black-brownish birds which had flew in from a nearby field (located in the nearby valley) and now soared around in a circle around my little valley, by id skills when it comes to bird of prey is bad and it took a while before I could it them, black kites for sure, by looking at the feather colouration all seemed to be more or less adult ones too, I managed to count a total of 3 birds. The nicest surprise of the afternoon was a small group of what I believe was Orange-breasted Green-Pigeons, had settle down in a nearby fruit tree and was busy looking for food; they made a quite noice when they fought of the best fruits; the sky had become quite darker by now and even more cloudy; rain was definitely on its way; not long after I got inside the house the sky opened and the rain started, well I had at least managed to improve my list and with the house as good as done now I felt that I had achieved something today.

18. Eurasian tree sparrow (a few dozen)
19. Black kite (3 adult birds)
20. Orange-breasted Green-Pigeon (a flock of 12-15 birds)

Attachments

• kite.jpg
    kite.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Icemano said:
after a couple of hours of hard work I took the rest of the day off, sat on the terrace, reading some old OBC magazines and took a cold beer.

Sounds like the ideal lifestyle to me, Icemano!!!

Now aim back after have spent the last 9 days camping, birding and collecting fishes/plants/insects together with a bunch of friends, although I spent most of the time focusing on the birds, the target was my patch. We ventured to the far limits of the forest and back again, despite now being a very large area covered it took some time to walk through it.

21. Green peafowl (7 females and 3 male seen, males heard calling a dozen times, I have tried to estimate the density of this bird in the valley, maybe not exact but the number of males is at least 8-10, I have no idea about the females but likely to be a few dozen of them here)

22. Silver pheasant
23. Chinese Francolin
24. Scaly-breasted Hill-partridge
25. Red Jungle fowl
26. Siamese fireback
27. Grey Peacock-pheasant
28. Yellow-legged buttonquail
29. Barred buttonquail
30. Black-bellied Magpie
31. Rufous Treepie
32. Racquet-tailed Treepie
33. Darter
34. Indian cormorant
35. Purple Heron
36. Great White egret
37. Cattle egret
38. Black-crowned Night-heron
39. Lesser whistling-duck
40. Crested Honey-buzzard
41. Black-shouldered kite
42. Grey-headed fishing-eagle
43. White-rumped vulture
44. Shikra
45. Oriental hobby
46. White-breasted waterhen
47. Ruddy-breasted crake
48. Watercock
49. Purple swamphen
50. Common moorhen
51. Bronze-winged jacana
52. Greater Painted-snipe
53. Black-winged stilt
54. Stone curlew
55. Rock Pigeon
56. Pale-capped Pigeon
57. Spotted dove
58. Red-collared dove
59. Barred cuckoo-dove
60. Pompadour Green-pigeon
61. Thick-bellied Green-Pigeon
62. Yellow-footed Green-Pigeon
63. Wedge-tailed Green-Pigeon
64. Alexandrine Parakeet
65. Blossom-headed Parakeet
66. Red-breasted Parakeet
67. Vernal hanging-parrot
68. Chestnut-winged cuckoo
69. Hodgson hawk-cuckoo
70. Indian cuckoo
71. Banded bay cuckoo
72. Asian drongo cuckoo
73. Common koel
74. Green-billed Malkoha
75. Coral-billed Ground-cuckoo
76. Greater coucal
77. Lesser coucal
78. Barn owl
79. Mountain scops-owl
80. Collared scops-owl
81. Brown fish-owl
83. Brown hawk-owl
84. Great eared-nightjar
85. Brown-backed needletail
86. Orange-breasted Trogon
87. Banded kingfisher
88. Ruddy kingfisher
89. White-throated kingfisher
90. Blue-eared kingfisher
91. Blue-bearded bee-eater
92. Little Green bee-eater
93. Blue-tailed bee-eater
94. Bay-headed bee-eater
95. Indian roller
96. Dollarbird
97. Hoopoe
98. Oriental pied hornbill
99. Great hornbill
100. Wreathed hornbill
101. Green-eared barbet
102. Moustached barbet
103. Blue-eared barbet
104. Coppersmith barbet
105. Fulvous-breasted woodpecker
106. Rufous woodpecker
107. White-bellied woodpecker
108. Greater yellownape
109. Laced woodpecker
110. Grey-faced woodpecker
111. Common flameback
112. Greater flameback
113. Greater slaty woodpecker
114. Long-tailed broadbill
115. Banded broadbill
116. Dusky broadbill
117. Eared pitta
118. Indochinese bushlark
119. Oriental skylark
120. Wire-tailed swallow
121. Striated swallow
122. Paddyfield pipit
123. Large cuckoo-shrike
124. Small Minivet
125. Bar-winged flycatcher-shrike
126. Large wood-shrike
127. Black-headed bulbul
128. Red-whiskered bulbul
129. Sooty-headed bulbul
130. Streak-eared bulbul
131. Puff-throated bulbul
132. Grey-eyed bulbul
133. Blue-winged leafbird
134.Golden-fronted leafbird
135. Asian fairy-bluebird
136. Common Iora
137. Great Iora
138. Lesser shortwing
139. Oriental magpie-robin
140. White-rumped shama
141. White-tailed blue robin?
142. Pied bushchat
143. Slaty-backed forktail
144. White-browed forktail
145. Yellow-vented flowerpecker
146. Plain flowerpecker
147. Fire-breasted flowerpecker
148. Ruby-cheeked sunbird
149. Plain-throated sunbird
150. Purple-naped sunbird
151. Purple sunbird
152. Black-throated sunbird
153. Crimson sunbird
154. Little spiderhunter
155. Streaked spiderhunter
156. White-browed fantail
157. Black drongo
158. Ashy drongo
160. Lesser racket-tailed drongo?
161. Black-naped monarch
162. Asian paradise-flycatcher
163. Vinous-breasted starling
164. Common Myna (partly introduced according to locals)
165. White-vented Myna
166. Crested Myna
167. Golden-crested Myna
168. Hill Myna.
169. Yellow-bellied nuthatch
170. Sultan tit
171. Hill Prinia
172. Yellow-bellied Prinia
173. Plain Prinia
175. Grey-bellied Tesia
176. Mountain tailorbird
177. Common tailorbird?
178. Dark-necked tailorbird
179. Grey-cheeked warbler?
180. Chestnut-crowned warbler
181. Masked laughingthrush
182. Lesser Necklaced laughingthrush
183. White-cheeked laughingthrush
184. Spot-throated babbler
185. White-browed scimitar-babbler
186. Coral-billed scimitar-babbler?
187. Streaked wren-babbler
188. Striped tit-babbler
189. Grey-faced tit-babbler
190. Rufous-winged fulvetta
191. Rusty-capped Fulvetta?
192. Mountain Fulvetta
193. Rufous-backed Sibia
194. Unidentified Yuhina
195. Black-throated Parrotbill
196. House sparrow (introduced?)

With nearly 195 (but only a single lifer) species recorded in 6 days I consider myself rather lucky + that we saw 12 species of mammal (including gibbon, silver langur, tiger cat and muntjac), some 40 species of freshwater fish, well over 250 species of plants was collected and examined, some 120 species of insects collected, 18 species of frog AND 36 species of reptiles species found, well that should be about it, a extremely rewarding trip I must say and definitely the first attempt to describe the flora and fauna of this area.

Photo 1: This one was taken one of the first days of our camping trip; the first night we camped just a bit down river and found it to be a good hunting spot for brown fish-owls with no less than 3 birds seen during the night, several species of green pigeon, bulbul and drongo was also present around this spot. We heard red jungle fowls at a couple of occasions during the whole trip but it was only around this spot that we actually saw them.

Photo 2: Two turtles caught in the locality shown in photo 1

Photo 3: An almost dried up river, according to locals this river used to be a few m wide in the past but because of dam projects in the hills upstream its only about 2m wide even when its in the middle of the rain season, we our first and only eared pitas to be very common here, during the hour we spend birding in the area we saw no less than 4 adult birds wreathed hornbill was present in good numbers in the canopies above as was red-collared dove and Greater flameback

Photo 4: Limestone formations, a spectacularly scenery and we talked about the possibilities of getting up on some of those ridges as they are well protected from both hunting as habitat destruction they surely has to hold good numbers of bird which prefer this kind of habitat, we heard green peafowl calling from the forest above us at least a couple of times, red-headed vulture as well as white-rumped vulture (1 adult bird) and Crested honey-buzzard was observed here. Several species of babbler was present here as well as masked laughingthrush, brown-backed needletail and racket-tailed drongo.

Photo 5: Taken on one of the last days of the trip, some spectacularly waterfalls just in front of us, a bit upstream some waterbirds were present such as lesser whistling-duck, Purple heron, Purple swamphen and White egret although only in small numbers. Great hornbill, house sparrow, crimson sunbird and Blue-winged leafbird were other birds found here.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 209
  • picture 2.JPG
    picture 2.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 191
  • picture 3.jpg
    picture 3.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 222
  • picture 4.jpg
    picture 4.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 207
  • picture 5.jpg
    picture 5.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Photo 6: This was were we ended this remarkable journey and started heading back home again, although the scenery we meet the day was rather depressing, in the surrounding valleys fields and logging concession pretty much dominate the landscape. We spotted mostly grassbirds such as munias and sunbirds (at least 4 species) and bird of prey such as barn owls and black-shouldered kite in this habitat. From judging but what we saw it won’t take long before the forest we had been birding in the last couple of days will be facing the same threat in a very short feature, really depressing.

Photo 7: We choosed another way back home, ended up in this rough terrain, with lots of blood sucking insects, leaches, cobras (poison snake) and hard, sharp limestone out crops which covered most of the ground and the surroundings. It took well over one day to walk through this terrain, although it seemed to be a good spot for small, ground living birds, forktails, hill partridge, Chinese francolin and buttonquail were all rather common here, a friend suggested that limestone wren-babbler should be found in this type of habitat, although we didn’t see any and I doubt that this species even exist here, and if so it muse be either extremely scarce or very rare.

Photo 8: Eagle nest found located in a large hole among the higher limestone formations, although despite we sat under it for some 30min no adult was seen, although we could clearly hear the small chicks calling regulary, a guess would be the nest of the black eagle, although that that just a wild guess, could be the nest of some of the fishing (Lesser or Grey-headed) eagles as well, lots of small open river and creeks throughout this area.

Attachments

• picture 6.jpg
    picture 6.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 199
  • picture 7.jpg
    picture 7.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 194
  • picture 8.jpg
    picture 8.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Yesterday morning I was out in the forest about 3 hours, the ac in the house had broke down, it was to hot to sleep in the house and I was generally bored so I took the car down to the forest.

197. Common Buttonquail
198. Lesser fishing-eagle
199. Crested Goshawk
200. Stork-billed Kingfisher
201. Common Kingfisher
202. Brown hornbill
203. Red-headed Trogon
204. Speckled piculet
205. Black-headed woodpecker
206. Lesser yellownape
207. Lineated barbet
208. Indochinese cuckoo-shrike
209. Stripe-throated bulbul
210. Flavescent bulbul?

A pack of 5 Dholes was actually the highlight of the morning and my first record from the forest.

Hi Hanno, I will be off to Sumatra some time next week where I will be working for about a month, but aim home most of the time otherwise so when I get back home again you could come and visit whenever you have the time and opportunity.

Icemano said:
Me and my family live on the countryside in the southern part of the Kon Tum Province, Central Vietnam, a place often called "the roof of Vietnam". We have only been here a little bit more than a week now (moved here from Myanmar) and my birding opportunities has been few so far..............I havent actually been into the forest itself yet...............
During the following days I will hopefully be able to start building on my list.

Icemano
A great read, your place sounds ideal ! & excellent photos (esp like picture 6)
Amazing list of 210 species in little over 2 weeks !
(Reading your report & looking at the images i'm amazed that you have power & computer access)
Look forward to reading more
thanks SteveE.

An excellent read, Icemano, plus some very good pictures. As StevieE said, where DO you get your computer access from? . . . especially as you appear to be 'in the middle of nowhere'!

Back in Vietnam again, but for this time just a couple of days (will be on Sumatra another 1-2 week), most time spend with the family so far although thus morning I managed to squeeze in a few hours of birding in the early morning while the rest of the family was still asleep.

The morning started with a male Siamese fireback that run across the road just as I drove out on the main road. As I earlier have been covering most forest around and below my house. I decided to try visiting some low elevated part of the forest, in search for some of the lowland specialists. Although most forest is already cleared in the far down and not much remains because lack of protection.

After some 30 minutes of driving I finally found a spot which seemed rather ok, not much naturally rainforest left but a friend of mine had told me that the area was good for wild elephants, langurs and eagles. I didn’t take long before I had my first encounter with an elephant. Just as I got out of the car this large mammal started to walk out of the forest, it was a male, maybe a few years old. I got quite surprised as I had expected them to be much shyer to humans and way more aggressive. For a few minutes I was just standing 25m away from it, a truly amazing creature, later that day I was told that some 45-50 wild elephants still survives in the area, they have been mostly left along by hunters and breeding with domesticated elephants seems to be very limited (hardly any domesticated ones up here any longer, have been replaced by water buffalos), and the number has actually grown with 10-15 animals in the last 3 years. I hope to have more encounters with them. I didn’t bother to head very deep inside the forest as elephants seemed to be present. I did get a dozen species here (including black eagle and buttonquail) but no new ones. After another 15 minutes of walking along the road I finally started to get into some more dense forest, it more looked like it should, although as the road then started to head very steeply down I decided to venture down in the small patch of forest located in a small valley just beside the road. Not much arboreal birds was seen here during 50 minutes of birding, and its probably because of the hunting pressure, although to my surprise a few new birds was added to the list, a single bird, which looked like an adult White-rumped falcon was seen feeding on a large, green lizard on a dead tree trunk, some kind of hill-partridge was seen on two occasions (clearly not scaly-breasted) although I was unable to id them. Mammals seemed to be very common and I spotted leopard cat, boar, macaque, silver langur and douc langur. After all a quite ok day.

211. White-rumped falcon
212. Unknown Hill-partridge

Photo 1: The forest where I first stopped for some birding, also where the male elephant was seen, apparently this area is, or were, very good for green peafowls, according to farmers both Gaur and Banteng occur in good numbers here

Photo 2: The male elephant I managed to encounter, to see animals with tusks is a good sign

Photo 3: Forested valley where I ended the morning, it was also here I found my two new birds, I will certinely return to this place. No less than 36 birds and 5 mammals recorded in just 50 minutes

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 194
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 174
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 180
Stevie and BGuy: I live in a smaller community, I have recently move here, apparently it was only two years ago that you was able to use internet, cable-tv etc here, now its almost like living in any middle sized town in Vietnam, the local authories has put down much money to develop things even in the more remote mountain areas.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back