• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Something new from Zeiss ? (1 Viewer)

SuperDuty

United States
I wonder if Zeiss designers/engineers are currently working on something to usurp the NL Pure ? Or maybe they think the SF is already a worthy contender. πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

I think many who have purchased the SF will likely not upgrade to another glass in their lifetime, unless they are a Bird Forum member.
I certainly have no plans to replace my SF 8x32 / Leica Trinovid HD 8x32 combination that I choose from depending on the habitat I am visiting and what I am interested in looking at.

But I would be surprised if Zeiss isn't developing new products..............

Zeiss owns the glass company to make it happen so I predict they will. πŸ‘πŸΌ
I wonder. In a globalized world, stuff gets made everywhere, comes together in a thing with a brand name applied but we have no clue who made what or where each part came from.

Can you tell us what you know of Zeiss owns a glass company, please?

I wonder. In a globalized world, stuff gets made everywhere, comes together in a thing with a brand name applied but we have no clue who made what or where each part came from.

Can you tell us what you know of Zeiss owns a glass company, please?

Hello,
I think he means Schott. See here SCHOTT Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung

But there are surely other members here on BF that are much better informed and can tell us more. Thanks from me, too!

Zeiss owns the glass company to make it happen so I predict they will. πŸ‘πŸΌ
Schott produces around 140 different types of optical glass, so I can't envision any development that could result in a performance benefit for binoculars.
The last ones were HT versions of existing optical glasses that resulted in minor improvements in transmission at the blue end of the spectrum.
If by some miracle they were able to produce something with better dispersion properties than Calcium Fluoride then that would be interesting for scopes.

John

Could you tell us how you decide which one to take?
Yes. Please bear in mind my use of binos is almost entirely in coastal island habitats off the west of Scotland.
If we are simply roaming along the coast, watching out for seals and otters I use my SF 8x32 and value its big field of view which helps scan the bays, rocks, skerries and islets for these creatures. On the other hand, if we are paying more attention to the flowers and butterflies and the inhabitants of rock pools then the close-focusing Trinovid is my first choice.

FWIW, I hope they don't make any changes to make SF more like the NL Pure. All the 8x42 SF needs is one more click-stop on the eyeguards to be near perfect IMO. Actually I would crop 5% off the field stop and outer FOV to make it perfect. Let Swaro chase more FOV and all the undesirable side-effects that come with it.

If I was Zeiss I would look to improve the Conquest and HT's before another iteration of the flagship. I might go after market share by cutting the price of the SF's as the tooling and R&D costs get paid off. Instead of doing something new.

Last edited:
Didn't one of the head honchos at Zeiss make a statement not long ago that they had glass available that is superior to anything else ever made but it would drive the cost of binoculars to over $7,000.00 so it's cost prohibitive?
I know I read that somewhere but can't recall right now.
I believe the cost might have been for the glass alone which would drive the price even higher for a pair.

Heck, I would probably pay that price, lol.
In fact, I know I would. πŸ™‚
I can't bear not owning what I consider the best when it comes to optics.
How many others on here would pay $7,000.00 + for a set of binoculars with the greatest glass in history?
Lee, you could probably secure a pair for free. 😎

Didn't one of the head honchos at Zeiss make a statement not long ago that they had glass available that is superior to anything else ever made but it would drive the cost of binoculars to over $7,000.00 so it's cost prohibitive?
I know I read that somewhere but can't recall right now.
I believe the cost might have been for the glass alone which would drive the price even higher for a pair.

Heck, I would probably pay that price, lol.
In fact, I know I would. πŸ™‚
I can't bear not owning what I consider the best when it comes to optics.
How many others on here would pay $7,000.00 + for a set of binoculars with the greatest glass in history?
Lee, you could probably secure a pair for free. 😎
Something completely devoid of CA would be nice, that’s the thing that takes the (reality) out of an otherwise beautiful image more than anything else, for me anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back