• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brief reviews about Zeiss victory SFL 8/10 x40 (1 Viewer)

I picked in addition to my beloved SF 10x42 a SF 10x32 because I wanted to have a light travel/hike binocular for daytime, especially in the summer months. I would never give my 10x42 away, with one exception if Zeiss would bring a new next gen SF 10x42, some day in the future…. The 42 is still the better allrounder, overall, because of better lowlight performance. The winter will come again, then the 10x32 will probably stay at home.

You have already the 10x42, I would keep it, when you want to use that low light advantage.

I meant getting a high quality 8x32 like the SF in this format would be a good combo for your wooded area use at daytime (less far distance viewing, and more area covered at mid range viewing like you would have in the woods).

Don‘t be torn, you already have a superb HI res 10x which is more capable than the SF 10x32, overall. The additional 10meters field of view is negligible because the 10x42 has more comfort viewing.
How I’m keeping th 10x42, that was never in question. The question was a SF 8x32 or a 10x32 for day time like you were saying 👍🏻

If you could choose only one of the two, which would you prefer and why? The 8x32 or 10x32, I’m slightly torn
I would choose either an NL or SF in a 8x32 and a 10x32. I have an NL 8x32 and an SF 10x32. For my birding, I like having a 8x32 and a 10x32 for closer in birding and longer range birding. The NL and the SF are real close, so it comes down to personal preference. For optics, I think the NL is a tad better than the SF. The NL has a flatter field and sharper edges than the SF, so it depends if you like that or not. Some people don't and prefer the less flat view of the Zeiss. I think the SF is a tad better at CA control, especially on the edges, so it depends on how much CA bothers you.

I think the handling of the SF is a little better than the NL with its weight rearward balance, really comfortable armor and super smooth focuser. For me, it is fun to have both the SF and the NL because I appreciate the differences between the two, and it is fun to change off. They are both fantastic binoculars, and you can't go wrong with either. I think for most birders, the NL and SF in either a 8x32 or 10x32 are probably the best birding binoculars you can get if you bird mostly in the daytime and don't need a bigger aperture for low light. With either an SF or NL in 8x32 or 10x32 you are not going to suffer too much!

Last edited:
I would choose either an NL or SF in a 8x32 and a 10x32. I have an NL 8x32 and an SF 10x32. For my birding, I like having a 8x32 and a 10x32 for closer in birding and longer range birding. The NL and the SF are real close, so it comes down to personal preference. For optics, I think the NL is a tad better than the SF. The NL has a flatter field and sharper edges than the SF, so it depends if you like that or not. Some people don't and prefer the less flat view of the Zeiss. I think the SF is a tad better at CA control, especially on the edges, so it depends on how much CA bothers you.

I think the handling of the SF is a little better than the NL with its weight rearward balance, really comfortable armor and super smooth focuser. For me, it is fun to have both the SF and the NL because I appreciate the differences between the two, and it is fun to change off. They are both fantastic binoculars, and you can't go wrong with either. I think for most birders, the NL and SF in either a 8x32 or 10x32 are probably the best birding binoculars you can get if you bird mostly in the daytime and don't need a bigger aperture for low light. With either an SF or NL in 8x32 or 10x32 you are not going to suffer too much!
I agree with everything you mentioned Denco.
If I ever had to buy another Bino, JUST ONE out of the 2 brands I have, I would buy the SF again. These fits best for me.
I do have the NL 10x32 and SF 10x42 as well as EL 10x42. for me, the SF are superior. I find the focus better and the image sharper. This is my humble opinion. The focus mechanism for me is a quite important thing and the SF focus is PERFECT.
Just some MINOR thing that you might consider handy to know, the NL at least mine (10x32) suffer from quite some flare. It is not too bothersome. But time to time quite tiring/annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back