• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snapped screw / pin (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Wikipedia and as it seems, ISO beg to disagree... 1/4-20 UNC or 3/8-16 UNC...

But I have to admit that I didn't spend 38€ for the privilege to actually check the ISO text...

Joachim

We had discussed this ten years ago here. Because of this discussion, I asked the Technical Support Department at Manfrotto/Gitzo about thread standards. They stated that "The threads on our tripods are British Standard Whitworth (BSW)."

According to someone who claims to have purchased ISO 1222:2010, the standard is 1/4-20 UNC.

I wouldn't be surprised if camera and scope manufacturers are using 1/4-20 UNC threads, this would work with either UNC or BSW screws. Conversely, tripod manufacturers might be using 1/4-20 BSW on tripods for backward compatibility for old cameras and scopes.

Last edited:
Hi,

interesting... that's what international standards are for... to be ignored by industry... almost 50 years after adoption of said standard in 1973...

Here is a link to a pdf version of ISO-1222-1987 which refers to the first edition from 1973 and also clearly shows the UNC threads...

Reading the standard linked above, note footnote 3 on page two (of two - yeah, your really get your money's worth with that one) - they actually loosened the tolerances even more than UNC class 1A / 1B (loose fit for manual assembly) in order to ensure the compatibility with exiting gear from different countries...

Joachim

Last edited:
I just measured the threads on a Manfrotto 200PL-14. They are clearly 1/4-20 UNC. Not sure where the person that I spoke to at Manfrotto was getting the information that they were BSW.

The fact that we need to pay to see international standards is ridiculous to me. I haven't seen any that were worth what ISO was charging for them.

Hi,
Wikipedia and as it seems, ISO beg to disagree... 1/4-20 UNC or 3/8-16 UNC...
But I have to admit that I didn't spend 38€ for the privilege to actually check the ISO text...
Joachim

Hello Joachim
The thread pitch of Whitworth and UNC is the same up to but not including 1/2 inch.
Whitworth threads have a 55 degree angle and rounded crests.
UNC have 60 degree flattened crests.
That might explain why some mismatched bolts wobble or unscrew more easily in use.
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back