• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snapped screw / pin (1 Viewer)

Shoody

England
The threaded pin ,which goes through the bracket and Into the bottom of the HR60 has snapped . This is to hold in onto the tripod.
Im looking to find a new one
thanks in advance

Just find a bolt of the same diameter & thread pitch (1/4"-20) and cut it down to length. If you want the 'real thing' I'm sure that the manufacturer of your tripod will sell you spares at an extortionate price. Failing that, you can get them from a certain auction site for a quid or so!

RBBolt.jpg

Hi,

hopefully it hasn't snapped in the foot of the scope... if yes, getting the rest out might get interesting...

Joachim

Hi,

hopefully it hasn't snapped in the foot of the scope... if yes, getting the rest out might get interesting...

Joachim
Would it be possible to very carefully superglue the end of a new bolt onto the broken face of the old one stuck in the scope foot and extract it that way? Risky I know ...

RB

If you have a broken stud stuck tight in there you need to drill through it and use an extractor.
But usually, in most cases these broken studs are loose with enough wiggle room and can be ‘unscrewed’ with enough patience.

The threaded pin ,which goes through the bracket and Into the bottom of the HR60 has snapped . This is to hold in onto the tripod.
thanks in advance

Is this part of the tripod, or part of the scope?

thanks in advance
Just find a bolt of the same diameter & thread pitch (1/4"-20) and cut it down to length. If you want the 'real thing' I'm sure that the manufacturer of your tripod will sell you spares at an extortionate price. Failing that, you can get them from a certain auction site for a quid or so!

RBView attachment 1376882
That’s the one I’ve snapped, exactly the same,
Certain website??.
Enlighten me please

Hi,

if you got time, take the shanghai express...

Or go to your local hardware store and get a 1/4" UNC 20 tpi screw with whatever head you want to carry a tool for and cut to size...

Joachim

Hi,

if you got time, take the shanghai express...

Or go to your local hardware store and get a 1/4" UNC 20 tpi screw with whatever head you want to carry a tool for and cut to size...

Joachim
Just what I said in post #2!?

RB

I bought an assortment of tripod plate mounting screws in both 1/4” and 3/8”, and in slightly varying lengths for just a few bucks on Amazon. Longish screws might bottom out on certain scope mounts so that’s something to watch out for.

Modern tripods and accessories are 1/4 inch whitworth. Old Russian equipment used 3/8th whitworth
Tripod threads are universally Whitworth. UNC is close but is not the same.

Joachim

They are different but whether it matters I don't know.

Larger cameras use 3/8 inch.

Although Russian equipment often use 3/8 inch the Russian tolerances are wide and can cause damage.

I put a brand new Zunow 50mm f/1.1 lens on a Kiev and damaged the chrome or zinc finish.
I only used one roll of film.

The Nikon, old Contax and Kiev lens mounts may seem to be the same, but they are all different.

The Exakta and Topcon lens mounts are also different.

The Minolta bayonet and Chinese copies are also different.

Similarly there is no standard 1.25 inch eyepiece size.
They all differ.
This can matter as eyepieces can fall out or jam.

Some people confuse the Pentax/Practika lens mount with a T2 mount. These are totally different and cause damage.

Independent adapters also vary and can cause damage.
Kilfitt, Zoomar and similar are more expensive as they are made to stricter standards.

SRB Griturn have a large range of adapters and make specials.

Regards,
B.

Wrong bolt size can be damaging.

The extreme example is with the 1990 incident with a BAC 111 where the captain was sucked out of the aircraft but amazingly survived.

Some of the window bolts were 2.5mm too short or 0.66mm too small.
Others were the correct size.
The reference suggests that in this case UNC and British standards are the same.

My PST hydrogen alpha scope is mounted with a Slik tripod stud.
I like this system a lot, but the stud unscrews itself in use.
At nearly every use I check that the stud is firmly attached to the scope and properly locked onto the tripod head.

Generally I check that tripod studs are firm as they can easily become disattached even with a locking arrangement.

I would think that in long term use a UNC bolt in a Whitworth fitting and vice versa would cause wear.

Regards,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back