• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shropshire Birding (1 Viewer)

A good day at Priorslee Lake brushing up on gull identification. Spotted a 3rd winter Herring Gull in a flock of c200 Lesser Black backed gulls. There were another couple of juvenile Herring gulls as well.

Can anyone help. I know where Candles landfill is situated but don't know the best vantage points to view gulls etc. any help would be appreciated

I'm not sure if we can still view from here, as new instructions have appeared this autumn, but last winter I viewed from driving past the landfill entrance( coming from horsehay), to the end of the bushes, park carefully, and climb up the(usually slippy!) bank to view through the fence. But I'm not sure if that applies this year. Tom Lowe would be the best person to ask. Most the birds commute to nearby horsehay pool throughout the day. I prefer visiting the pool, despite it being less reliable, as it can be a nightmare searching through the ever moving masses at the tip!

Today's RBA pager message says "report to reception and follow all on-site instructions" - perhaps there is no somewhere to view inside the tip?

I hope so! It's very exposed at the top of that bank! And having a dodgy knee, the walk/slide back down is not worth the risk most the time!

Today for the first time in 18 years a Sparrowhawk attempted to take a sparrow from my garden birdfeeder, it failed as the feeder is sited close to trees. Good to see though.

Good day birding on The Wrekin today. The birds seen were Peregrine Falcon, Blackbird, Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Lesser black-backed Gull, Jay, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit, Buzzard, Pied Wagtail, Wood Warbler, Treecreeper, Willow Warbler, Garden Warbler, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Robin, Arctic Tern, Tree Pipit, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Goldfinch.

why has this page gone quiet??
can anyone share any good places to visit??

Priorslee lake can be good, but the main thing there was winter gulls which seem to have abondend the site last 2 years, whixall moss and floods are good on occasion(ducks, winter raptors, occasional great grey shrike)but too far for most people from Telford and Shrewsbury to check on a regular enough occurance, chelmarsh reservoir is usually rubbish, the meres are too busy with dog walkers, boaters etc..., the mynd has grouse, whinchat and hundreds of walkers, Venus pool, wall farm and polemere are essentially duck ponds in farmland with hides...basically the county involves a lot of driving for very little reward! There are a few good woodlands eg Wrekin/ercall, bridges, near long mynd, wyre forest. What kind of birding sites interest you? Places outside the county like aqualate mere near Newport and belvide reservoir(permit required from the west mids bird club) would probably be more deserving of a visit

Priorslee lake can be good, but the main thing there was winter gulls which seem to have abondend the site last 2 years, whixall moss and floods are good on occasion(ducks, winter raptors, occasional great grey shrike)but too far for most people from Telford and Shrewsbury to check on a regular enough occurance, chelmarsh reservoir is usually rubbish, the meres are too busy with dog walkers, boaters etc..., the mynd has grouse, whinchat and hundreds of walkers, Venus pool, wall farm and polemere are essentially duck ponds in farmland with hides...basically the county involves a lot of driving for very little reward! There are a few good woodlands eg Wrekin/ercall, bridges, near long mynd, wyre forest. What kind of birding sites interest you? Places outside the county like aqualate mere near Newport and belvide reservoir(permit required from the west mids bird club) would probably be more deserving of a visit

I dont mind too much where i travel, been to venus few times, once to aqualate mere, didnt realise you needed a permit for there?? ooops! i take the wife with me so she likes the hides to see in her words garden birds etc, i like allsorts & enjoy taking photos of them! ive heard theres a good one near worcester which i might venture out to see....

It's only belvide you need a permit for, aqualate is open access. The site near Worcester may be Upton warren? Only been there once years ago! Think it is a pretty good site though. Struggling to think of other local spots to recommend as I tend to do most my birding all over the country. Whixall moss and priorslee lake are my favourite shrops sites, but whixall especially can be almost bird less on many visits and there are no hides there. The only other county sites I can think of with hides are woodlane near ellesmere but that requires a permit for the hides and has gone downhill a lot since becoming a reserve, and chelmarsh scrape but the hide is old and usually just moorhen on the scrape when I go!

It's only belvide you need a permit for, aqualate is open access. The site near Worcester may be Upton warren? Only been there once years ago! Think it is a pretty good site though. Struggling to think of other local spots to recommend as I tend to do most my birding all over the country. Whixall moss and priorslee lake are my favourite shrops sites, but whixall especially can be almost bird less on many visits and there are no hides there. The only other county sites I can think of with hides are woodlane near ellesmere but that requires a permit for the hides and has gone downhill a lot since becoming a reserve, and chelmarsh scrape but the hide is old and usually just moorhen on the scrape when I go!

Yes it was upton warren, not been yet thou, im only 5 mins away from priorslee balancing lake, so i could call to see, not much there last time i went thou, thanks for your help & advice

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back