• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shropshire Birding (2 Viewers)

Hi John,

I've been having a similar problem. I put this down to the recent spam e-mail issues, but maybe not? Luckily, I also get the daily email updates, so have been using these instead.

Ian

Also thought that! It seemed to disappear when they took up most the page anyway!

Hello All!

A spectacular garden tick for us this afternoon when a Ring-necked Parakeet arrived to feed on the peanut holder. Keep an eye out in the Coton Hill area!

Photos to follow.

Patrick

Clee Hill 07.04.2013

A super day was had at a very snowy Clee Hill today! Two Ring Ouzels were seen on the south slope below the old quarry ruins and at least 7 Wheatears (6 male & 1 female) were seen on the plateau area above the old quarry ruins. It was a real treat to have 4 Wheatears in one view through my binoculars! Other notable sightings included Peregrine and Female Stonechat. The bird sightings made up for the bitterly cold weather there today!

Attachments

• P1110049.JPG
    P1110049.JPG
    360.4 KB · Views: 63
  • P1110093.JPG
    P1110093.JPG
    458.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P1110069.JPG
    P1110069.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 64
A super day was had at a very snowy Clee Hill today! Two Ring Ouzels were seen on the south slope below the old quarry ruins and at least 7 Wheatears (6 male & 1 female) were seen on the plateau area above the old quarry ruins. It was a real treat to have 4 Wheatears in one view through my binoculars! Other notable sightings included Peregrine and Female Stonechat. The bird sightings made up for the bitterly cold weather there today!

Excellent, must admit the lingering snow ( I can see the summit from my patch ) put me of visiting at the weekend, but I will be up there soon, its only 30 mins ride, but offers a lot of portentially good birding over the next few months

Really enjoying the Venus reserve in Shropshire - plenty of activity from the swans and wading birds, not to mention the bird table feeders. Today's hi-light was a Hobby wizzing past, the first sighting for me this summer.

A few images from the past week or so....

5 Swifts around the house at Coton Hill this evening.

Unfortunately looks like the Beeater has moved on - no further reports this afternoon.

Patrick

02 May 13,

Walked from Cross Houses to Berrington then onto Eaton Mascott and Plantation Pool. After a short break walked back to Berrington Pool. Lastly had a couple of hours a Venus Pool.

Crosshouses - Jackdaw, Swift, Pheasant,Skylark, Mallard, Starling.
Berrington Church - Chaffinch
Plantation Pool - 2 Mute Swan, Coot, Moorhen, Swallow, Canada Geese, Blackbird, 3 Buzzards
Berrington Pool - disappointing only 1 Coot 1 Great Crested Grebe and a Blackcap
Venus Pool - 36 Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Chaffinch, Canada Geese plus chicks, Moorhen, Shelduck, Mallard, Tufted duck, Grey Heron, Green Woodpecker, and Chiffchaff

Walked from Bridges up onto the Long Mynd and back down again today - shame it was so damned cold but saw Cuckoo, pair of Dippers, 6+ each of Common Redstart, Pied Flycatcher and Willow Warbler on territory and Curlew calling in the fields.

Seems to be more Lesser Black-backed Gulls around Shrewsbury town this summer than before - 7 this evening calling overhead. I'm relying on them to warn me of an approaching raptor.

Patrick

I've enjoyed reading all your posts from a brilliant county....I can only visit a few times a year and saw this Dipper on Friday near Church Stretton.
Keith :t:

Attachments

• Canon 182 093.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 182 093.jpg low.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Canon 183 040.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 183 040.jpg low.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Canon 183 042.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 183 042.jpg low.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Canon 183 033 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 183 033 A.jpg low.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Canon 183 054.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    Canon 183 054.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back