• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shoebill Uganda (1 Viewer)

Dortmundbirder

Hello everyone,

we are maybe going on a "non birdy" but still nature focussed tour to Uganda next year.
My biggest worry about the tour is, that Shoebill seems highly unlikely with the itinerary. And you cant go to Uganda and return without Shoebill I guess

We might squeeze some time in when we stay in Entebbe. It is like a full afternoon of free time.

Does anyone know if it possible to reach Mabamba Wetlands and get the shoebill in one afternoon?

Thank you,

Robin

If you are able to dedicate a morning, you should be able to visit Mabamba swamp. There are quite a few tour organisers who can take you out to look for Shoebill (Shoebillmabamba, Mamaland etc) or alternatively you can drive from Entebbe to Lulongo and try to find a local fisherman to take you.
I was in Uganda last month, and we managed to see several individuals despite pouring rain (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=351424) and only narrowly missed out on Lesser Jacana.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the input Daniel.
I have read your report. Seems you had a great time and thanks for publishing the report. Sounds Amazing and
We sadly only have an afternoon to squeeze in after the arrival at Entebbe. We tried to ask for 2 days extension but sadly the flights are in a tight schedule. So maximum gambling. I have read Mornings are quite safe to see them, but did not see an afternoon report.

Beste Regards,
Robin

Hi Robin, no problem, I did see a report from Mabamba Shoebill (seem like a very good company) where the group eventually caught up with shoebill in the afternoon. I suspect if you went out late afternoon, you may stand a reasonable chance - worth the trip anyways as there are plenty of other birds to see.

A couple of other options would be MFNP (cruise with either UWA or the local tour company to the delta area - think the prices are rather over-inflated) or to visit Ziwa Rhino sanctuary - they also offer a shoebill cruise for $30pp, and we met some people who spent the night there and had a successful cruise. If you could accommodate this into your plan, perhaps an overnight here would allow a morning cruise whilst the non-birders could check out the Rhinos.

Hope this helps.

You should be able to do it in half a day, but if you're short on time, I'd definitely use a guide who knows the best spots. Probably particularly important if there has been a lot of recent rain as they are apparently harder to find due to them dispersing more widely rather than hanging about in their usual locations.

Thanks everyone. I will certainly contact a guide/professional companies to see what the chances are in half a day with pickup from entebbe.
Sadly not a self organized Tour but covers with Lake Mburo, Bwindi, Queen Elizabeth Nationalpark and Kibali a variety of good spots in 11 day
Including flights transfers accomodations all permits and entrances and 3 meals a day I feel it is reasonable priced with 3000€ p.P.

I think without wanting to self drive it wont be cheaper if we would do it on our own.

Half a day is enough time to get Shoebill. Take a company which drives you by car to Mabamba swamp, which is perhaps the biggest time factor. From there there are guides with small boats who take people around the lake/swamp and Shoebill is in one of the bays, sooner or later. I am a bit surprised that your standard tour does not include it.

Half a day is enough time to get Shoebill. Take a company which drives you by car to Mabamba swamp, which is perhaps the biggest time factor. From there there are guides with small boats who take people around the lake/swamp and Shoebill is in one of the bays, sooner or later. I am a bit surprised that your standard tour does not include it.

Tour is focussed on the National Parks sadly.
Lake Mburo, Queen Elizabeth, Kibale and Bwindi.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back