• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shenstone (1 Viewer)

Today I saw the first signs that the Corn Buntings were starting to flock together for the winter with a flock of 8 present at one location on patch

What has been the peak winter count in recent years Jason?

Hi Phil,

The winter maxima was in winter 2011/2012 when a flock of 74 were present in fields near the Summer field end of Stanklyn Lane.

Last winter the peak count was 63 birds.

Prior to winter 2011/2012 the average winter count was between 40 & 50 birds

Jase

Friday 15th November 2013:

The winter flock of Corn Bunting has now increased to 14 birds.

c.30 Skylark were feeding nearby amongst the stubble.

Nearby, at Captains Pool, a Barnacle Goose was present and 8 Siskins were feeding in surrounding Alders

This morning:

The winter flock of Corn Buntings has now increased to 16 Birds. Around the patch itself there was a notable increase in Scando type Blackbirds.

The finches are flocking together big time at Shenstone now with one field containing c.120 Chaffinch, c.60 Greenfinch and c.200 Linnet all feeding on the deck.

Winter Thrushes are also feeding in the fields now with c.140 Fieldfare and c.60 Redwing recorded in one area of the patch.

I haven't been able to locate the Corn Bunting flock in recent visits but this is no cause for concern as they tend to roam around to feed amongst the stubble and there is a lot of Stone/Shenstone/Summerfield that cannot be viewed or has no public access.

Finally, if anyone is interested a new blog post outlining my plans for 2014 on the patch is now online at:

http://shenstonebirder.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/2014-fresh-start.html

Have a great New Year all

Cheers
Jase

A shout out for help!

Some of you may remember that about 12 months ago a planning application to create a Travelling Show People site on Heath Lane, Shenstone was submitted and after many objections/much campaigning from residents and local birders/wildlife lovers rejected.

I have found out however that this application has been re-submitted this week.

As some of you may be aware, Shenstone holds one of the largest and last remaining breeding populations of Corn Bunting in the county and this development could have an adverse effect on said species and other declining arable birds in the area.

So I am rallying around a lot of my local birding contacts and would be grateful if you could lend your support and object to this proposal on the grounds of the potential impact on the areas bird life

The application can be viewed/objected to by clicking on the following web link:

http://www.wyreforest.gov.uk/fastweb/detail.asp?AltRef=14/0017/FULL&ApplicationNumber=14%2F0017%2FFull&AddressPrefix=&Postcode=&CaseOfficer=&ParishName=&AreaTeam=&WardMember=&DateReceivedStart=&DateReceivedEnd=&DateDecidedStart=&DateDecidedEnd=&Locality=&AgentName=&ApplicantName=&ShowDecided=&DecisionLevel=&Sort1=FullAddressPrefix&Sort2=DateReceived+DESC&Submit=Search

Cheers
Jason

Last edited:
A shout out for help!

Some of you may remember that about 12 months ago a planning application to create a Travelling Show People site on Heath Lane, Shenstone was submitted and after many objections/much campaigning from residents and local birders/wildlife lovers rejected.

I have found out however that this application has been re-submitted this week.

As some of you may be aware, Shenstone holds one of the largest and last remaining breeding populations of Corn Bunting in the county and this development could have an adverse effect on said species and other declining arable birds in the area.

So I am rallying around a lot of my local birding contacts and would be grateful if you could lend your support and object to this proposal on the grounds of the potential impact on the areas bird life

The application can be viewed/objected to by clicking on the following web link:

http://www.wyreforest.gov.uk/fastweb/detail.asp?AltRef=14/0017/FULL&ApplicationNumber=14%2F0017%2FFull&AddressPrefix=&Postcode=&CaseOfficer=&ParishName=&AreaTeam=&WardMember=&DateReceivedStart=&DateReceivedEnd=&DateDecidedStart=&DateDecidedEnd=&Locality=&AgentName=&ApplicantName=&ShowDecided=&DecisionLevel=&Sort1=FullAddressPrefix&Sort2=DateReceived+DESC&Submit=Search

Cheers
Jason

https://twitter.com/ShenstoneBirder

Have lodged my objection to this (again).

Papa Lazarou and his mates will have to find somewhere else to live. 8-P Seems strange to me that so-called 'travelling show-people' don't do exactly that - i.e. travel around rather than try and build permanent dwellings on greenfield sites. :C

Have lodged my objection to this (again).

Papa Lazarou and his mates will have to find somewhere else to live. 8-P Seems strange to me that so-called 'travelling show-people' don't do exactly that - i.e. travel around rather than try and build permanent dwellings on greenfield sites. :C

Thanks for your support Dave, it's much appreciated.

You are absolutely right about Papa Lazarou and co...it does make you wonder about the "travelling" part of their name!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back