• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shenstone (1 Viewer)

Jason K

Hi all,

I have set up this thread to keep traffic from from some of the other threads whilst being able to keep folks upto date with what is happening at Shenstone with the proposed development of a site for travelling show people there.

Please feel free to leave any comments regarding this issue or any sightings etc from the Shenstone, Stone and Summerfield area of Worcestershire.

Cheers
Jase

I attended a residents action group meeting yesterday morning. Over 120 people turned up and it was fairly productive. They have paid for the services of a legal consultant who’s company deals with planning issue involved with traveller/show people sites. And highlighted a number of areas where this proposal could be fought on.

I also addressed the meeting and spoke about the potential impact on red data breeding species such as Corn Bunting, Yellowhammer, Skylark and also did an interview for the local evening newspaper (The Express & Star) afterwards.

The RSPBs Farmland conservation officer for the Midlands region is already involved and in contact with me.

The local free newspaper has also contacted me for some info regarding the potential environmental impact at this site.

pick ya brains

hiya jason, signed the petition, were's the best place to catch up with the corn buntings at the moment, been down a few times keep missing them, usually head down the lane opposite heath lane any info appreciated. cheers.

Hi Jase,

Thanks for setting up this thread and highlighting what is undoubtedly a serious threat to a species (Corn Bunting) which desperately needs all our help.

I will of course lodge an objection, contact Mark Garnier and have added a banner link to the home page of the Worcester Birding website.

The very best of luck with this and please keep us up to speed with how things are progressing.

Brian

I wish all the best of luck, hope you have better luck than the Alcester Turtle Doves. To cut a long story short, a previous application for development was refused, a new one is expected. In the mean time, it appears as though a large area of the Eco-site/ pLWS is being felled. When the ecological survey is done, there won't be anything there :(

hiya jason, signed the petition, were's the best place to catch up with the corn buntings at the moment, been down a few times keep missing them, usually head down the lane opposite heath lane any info appreciated. cheers.

Hi Trace...thanks for the support

They are not that showy at the present time. During the winter they flock together (c.60 at one point in Jan) but they tend to roam anywhere between Shenstone, Stone and Summerfield. Some of which is private land with no access

The most common place for them is along Stanklyn Lane opp the junction with Heath Lane.

They are much easier during the breeding season when the males perch up on territory singing at a number of locations that they favour each summer. Late afternoon onwards is best time from spring onwards

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I wish all the best of luck, hope you have better luck than the Alcester Turtle Doves. To cut a long story short, a previous application for development was refused, a new one is expected. In the mean time, it appears as though a large area of the Eco-site/ pLWS is being felled. When the ecological survey is done, there won't be anything there :(

Hi Mary...many thanks.

That is sad news indeed about your Turtle Doves

Hi Jase,

Thanks for setting up this thread and highlighting what is undoubtedly a serious threat to a species (Corn Bunting) which desperately needs all our help.

I will of course lodge an objection, contact Mark Garnier and have added a banner link to the home page of the Worcester Birding website.

The very best of luck with this and please keep us up to speed with how things are progressing.

Brian

Cheers Brian it's much appreciated. I have also written to Mark Garnier...so will be interested to hear what he has to say

Hi Jase,

Petition signed this evening. Hope it all works out for you and the action group.

Has there been a wildlife survey commissioned for the area?

Cheers
Mike

Hi Jase,

Petition signed this evening. Hope it all works out for you and the action group.

Has there been a wildlife survey commissioned for the area?

Cheers
Mike

Cheers Mike.

Apparantly an environmental study wasnt undertaken as part of the application, which is one of the issues being raised

cheers jason

i'll hang fire a bit then i do av a look when passing and have had them there in the past, fingers crossed for the next couple of months. best of luck with the petition.

The Shenstone proposal makes the local press

A quick update on the Shenstone planning proposal:

I have been liaising this week with the resident groups planning consultant Philip Deely from RCA Regeneration to provide more details of the wildlife in the Heath Lane area and some photos of birds in situ at the site.

I have also been liaising with Kirsty Brannon (RSPB Farm Conservation Advisor for the Midlands region) regarding the birds at risk. I am currently pulling together details of all Corn Bunting sightings in 2012/13 for her with relevant location details etc.

I have contacted the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust with the concerns.

Finally, the Shenstone planning issue has made both the Kidderminster Shuttle and the Express and Star newspapers. To read these articles click on the below links:

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/10212313.Caravan_site_plan_for_show_people/?ref=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2013/02/04/wyre-forest-showpeople-pitches-scheme-is-under-fire/

Cheers
Jason

Last edited:
Had a quick visit around Shenstone yesterday. It was interesting to see/hear Skylarks up singing at 3 different locations. Its amazing what a bit of sunshine does!

Hi Jason

Where is the best spot to catch the Corn Bunting ? I had a drive around last Sunday. I think I saw 3/4 on some telegraph wires in Chaddesley as I drove through but my the time I parked they had flown off.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Jason

Where is the best spot to catch the Corn Bunting ? I had a drive around last Sunday. I think I saw 3/4 on some telegraph wires in Chaddesley as I drove through but my the time I parked they had flown off.

Cheers
Neil

The winter flock is starting to break up now and is smaller than it was but the best bet is to check the fields/hedgerows directly opposite the junction of Heath Lane and Stanklyn Lane. Thats where they have been favouring. No guarantees though as the can be fairly mobile especially when disturbed from the stubble. 18 were reported along Stanklyn Lane this morning yet I only connected with 3 on my visit this afternoon.

Hope this helps
Jason

This afternoon's undoubted highlight was seeing a stunning Red Kite fly over the patch. It circled a couple of times over the fields before heading off NW

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back