• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Serial number question - how old are my binoculars? (1 Viewer)

zolo1x

United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a pair of Swarovski Optic Binoculars, Tirol-Habicht range, 10 x 40. It has the serial number '145801'. I've been told that binoculars starting with the serial no. '142' were made in the 1960s. Does anyone know what year my binoculars would be placed in, therefore? I know they are some decades old.

Let's see if we can figure this out!

Hi zolo1x,

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Prior to 1991, the serial numbering on the Habicht series consisted of numerals, as on your unit *
And from the units that I've observed, yours dates from the mid 1970's.

For the details of the numbering on the main leatherette Habicht production up until 1991,
see the third table in post #7 at: Habicht 7x42 Question

John

* Swarovski introduced alpha-numeric numbering on the Habicht range at the start of 1991
i.e. a number with a letter prefix, and with components that indicated the year and week of manufacture.

For a detailed explanation of the A-N numbering used up until the end of August 2020, see: Swarovski's Alpha-Numeric Numbering Explained

And for the current version of A-N numbering introduced in September 2020, see post #18 at: Swarovski serialnumbers changed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back